auto cross modification tips

tim87tr

Maximum Torque Mission
Established Member
I have only ran auto cross for two weekends now, only once in the Cobra. Is there anyone active/veteran in auto cross that could help me with some more minor tweaks to my car for ESP class?

The car I bought a month ago does have quite a few nice suspension mods, including castor camber plates, which I utilized yesterday, and really liked those. I will run the tires on the car this year, Kuhmo Ecsta MX, which turned out to work real well for street tires.

I just need some advice on additional tweaks to my set up without going too mod crazy at this point. I already have the H&R lowering springs, subframe connectors, front and rear strut tower braces, IRS brackets, X2 Ball Joints and Bumpsteer Kit, aluminum rack bushings, IRS dif cover brace. I was wondering if adding sway bar and IRS poly bushings, or different adjustable struts would be helpful at this point. Any advice appreciated. Tim

WPGFORDGUY

Established Member
Yes!

Leave the damn car alone! Get seat time the way it is so that it's consistant. ( My biggest regret is modding every week and having an inconsistant car)

Seat time Seat time Seat time... the best mod ever.

your cobra s/b ASP...

Last edited:

tim87tr

Maximum Torque Mission
Established Member
WPGFORDGUY said:
Yes!

Leave the damn car alone! Get seat time the way it is so that it's consistant. ( My biggest regret is modding every week and having an inconsistant car)

Seat time Seat time Seat time... the best mod ever.

your cobra s/b ASP...
I knew someone would say that, but I still am interested in the additional parts I've mentioned. I can strive to be consistent after I add a couple parts, as long as I don't keep messing with things. I would like the ability to adjust the struts.

Yea, they said ESP and some other people told me ASP, but I haven't read up on the difference yet. What changes yours to ESP compared to mine?

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Seat time then after your first season boost your ego and get some stickier tires.

tim87tr

Maximum Torque Mission
Established Member
thanks

03SteedaGT said:
Yes the stock Bilstein's are very good.
Excellent, great info. I run Bilsteins on Buicks, so good to hear they are fine with the Cobra. I'm just one of these people that need technical info from real users, not vendors, to make decisions.

I'll consider those alum bushings package you provided the thread on, and just enjoy the rest of the season. I am really enjoying the car and the nice suspension mods it already has.

I am most happy that my soon to be 14 year old son is having a blast and doing excellent in his second weekend of kart racing. His PAX cart score was 3rd of 66 total car entries. He was 2.3 seconds faster than my time:dw: , flying:-D

WPGFORDGUY

Established Member
Cobra's are A Super stock ( iirc)
GT's are F stock

I'll PM my alignment set up I used on my 02 Dmod GT to you... it's a really fine line between enough camber to turn and not too much to stop.

I also research some rear settings for you as well, getting the car to turn with the weight over the nose is a challenge but with proper steering input it's a blast.

My fav mods are

Hawk Pads
Braided Lines

tim87tr

Maximum Torque Mission
Established Member
WPGFORDGUY said:
GT's are F stock

I'll PM my alignment set up I used on my 02 Dmod GT to you... it's a really fine line between enough camber to turn and not too much to stop.

I also research some rear settings for you as well, getting the car to turn with the weight over the nose is a challenge but with proper steering input it's a blast.

My fav mods are

Hawk Pads
Braided Lines
Great, I can definitely learn something from the settings. I just marked the camber plates and pushed them all the way in, so I noticed a big difference in cornering with just that. The car already came with Brembo cross drilled rotors, hawk pads and braided lines, and I'm real happy with those too.

Are the front end settings ok for the street also? I'm going to have one of the veteran drivers ride with me next time to get some more pointers. I did fairly good my first weekend out with the car. I ran my GTO the weekend before, it has springs, but I really prefer the Cobra for the auto cross, it feels great out there. My email is [email protected]

So you are saying the car should be ASP? I need to confirm this because the veteran drivers are putting me in ESP. I tried to research this online, but haven't come up with anything conclusive yet.

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
They stuck me in SM2 (forced induction above a certain displacement) even though I was stock in everything but upped boost and exhaust. I don't know how they figured that since it's for 2-seaters, but oh well, the point was to have fun, and I did for 2 years. I ran Kumho MX's for awhile as well, and liked them quite a bit. They had surprisingly good treadlife too.

On my stock suspension, I found 42psi front and 35psi rear worked best on the Kumho's, although I have no idea what will be best with your modded suspension. Stickier tires is what I would suggest, then learn to drive it. The Cobra is very contrallable compared to other cars I've driven at the edge.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
IMO Bushings and sway bars I classify as "within the driver's adjustment". They make the car feel better, and perhaps drive differently, but the driver of the car without those things can for the most part compensate and drive equally competitively.

To be very honest, only three mods aside from sticky tires and seat time made me quicker at autox. Stiffer springs, CC plates, and a T2R.. ...the T2R giving the biggest gain of the three.. If you have never driven one, find someone that has and ask them.. You can get on the throttle SO early out of the turns with this diff... At Fort Devens I'd say it was worth over two seconds for me.

fastduo

Palm Beach Mustang Club
Established Member
A good alignment (some camber, a little toe), sticky tires will make your car handle well. IMO, don't go too agressive on the sways or you will have an ill handling car for autoX. You need weight transfer or you'll push or be too tail happy.
Get another set of wheels and get a good set of R compound tires and you'll be able to put the power to the pavement. Plus the more seat time you have, the better you'll become.

tim87tr

Maximum Torque Mission
Established Member
TroyV said:
IMO Bushings and sway bars I classify as "within the driver's adjustment". They make the car feel better, and perhaps drive differently, but the driver of the car without those things can for the most part compensate and drive equally competitively.

To be very honest, only three mods aside from sticky tires and seat time made me quicker at autox. Stiffer springs, CC plates, and a T2R.. ...the T2R giving the biggest gain of the three.. If you have never driven one, find someone that has and ask them.. You can get on the throttle SO early out of the turns with this diff... At Fort Devens I'd say it was worth over two seconds for me.
I have camber castor plates. What is a T2R?

I am going to road race the car next month, so after riding in a Z06 a couple weeks ago, I think I will definitely enjoy participating and learning to drive on a track.

I should be receiving the IRS bushing kit in the next week or so, and might install that sometime this summer and see how differently the car feels in auto cross and road racing later in the season.

mgsullivan

The Red Brick
Established Member
I agree with Troy. As soon as I had camber and the Torsen T2R differential, no more understeer.

fastduo

Palm Beach Mustang Club
Established Member
tim87tr said:
I have camber castor plates. What is a T2R?

I am going to road race the car next month, so after riding in a Z06 a couple weeks ago, I think I will definitely enjoy participating and learning to drive on a track.

I should be receiving the IRS bushing kit in the next week or so, and might install that sometime this summer and see how differently the car feels in auto cross and road racing later in the season.

You will have a blast at an open track event. It is a totally different animal and you need to do more preparation to your car before you go. Read the sticky-Open track primer.http://www.norcal-saac.org/ot/primer.pdf

PBOCHOMESTEADDec.jpg

Last edited:

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Definitely!!!

Car prep is crucial!! I think I spend at least 10x more time on car prep and inspection than actual driving. You can't take things for granted.. Get under there and check the suspension components, tie rod ends, links etc.. I can't tell you how many times I found bolts here and there that had little or no torque in them, and had to retorque.....particularly in the front suspension..

T2R: The T2R differential is an expensive mod. The part itself is 600-700 dollars depending on who you get it from.. There is a lot of labor to get the part in, as well as all new bearings and seals whilst in there. Run a web search on "Torsen T2R" and read up on the capabilities of the part. Next to the Brembos it is the best mod I have thrown the bigger money at.

SSWWRITE

Established Member
WPGFORDGUY said:
GT's are F stock

My fav mods are

Hawk Pads
Braided Lines

ACTUALLY THE 03-04 COBRA was dropped this year to F stock from A stock - the only other stock class is a couple HS as the ols stang II and inlines.

fastbird86

Established Member
Lethalchem said:
They stuck me in SM2 (forced induction above a certain displacement) even though I was stock in everything but upped boost and exhaust. I don't know how they figured that since it's for 2-seaters, but oh well, the point was to have fun, and I did for 2 years. I ran Kumho MX's for awhile as well, and liked them quite a bit. They had surprisingly good treadlife too.

On my stock suspension, I found 42psi front and 35psi rear worked best on the Kumho's, although I have no idea what will be best with your modded suspension. Stickier tires is what I would suggest, then learn to drive it. The Cobra is very contrallable compared to other cars I've driven at the edge.

You can run SM now, they revised the rules for '07.

Users who are viewing this thread