Auto in a Termi?

RKWFord

Established Member
Hey SVTP I'm considering goin auto to relly get some great launches & ets at the track. I'm just not really great on the stick... I am wondering if a beefed up auto tranny with a convertor out of a mach 1 or GT will do the job... I'm not really wanting an overdrive gear & not go the c4 route because I want to be able to drive the car long distances @ a decent rpm...
I plan on making 750ish RWHP....
Any advise????

Janstang

Established Member
Well, if you want to drive the car long distances at a decent rpm, you'll want overdrive. In which case a built 4R70W would work nicely. Otherwise, the TH400 and C4 are nice 3-speeds. Which ever way you choose go with a transbrake to aid in those starting line launches..

Janstang

Established Member
Just for reference with my 28in. tall tire, 3.55 gears and the top gear of the C4, and this glide at 65mph I show around 3,000rpm. Swapping to the C4 from my manual got me a half second in the quarter, primarily because it settled the car down in the first 100ft. and keeps the turbo loaded(Powerglide loads it even better).

Rice Eatr

Established Member
Hey SVTP I'm considering goin auto to relly get some great launches & ets at the track. I'm just not really great on the stick... I am wondering if a beefed up auto tranny with a convertor out of a mach 1 or GT will do the job... I'm not really wanting an overdrive gear & not go the c4 route because I want to be able to drive the car long distances @ a decent rpm...
I plan on making 750ish RWHP....
Any advise????

If you want your car to stick at the track you need to start with the suspension first.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Just for reference with my 28in. tall tire, 3.55 gears and the top gear of the C4, and this glide at 65mph I show around 3,000rpm. Swapping to the C4 from my manual got me a half second in the quarter, primarily because it settled the car down in the first 100ft. and keeps the turbo loaded(Powerglide loads it even better).

Exactly why you see such an improvement. I can't wait to come up with the money to go auto. :rockon:

Rice Eatr

Established Member
Swapping to the C4 from my manual got me a half second in the quarter, primarily because it settled the car down in the first 100ft. and keeps the turbo loaded(Powerglide loads it even better).

Good info. I always wondered why the 6 speed turbo cars don't run good #'s.

TERMIN8U!

Just a little 281ci motor
Established Member
C4 with trans brake should do the job. Im sure the swap is pretty straight forward.

UptonMustang

The FASTER Cobra
Established Member
4r70w

Dig up a copy of this month's issue of MM&FF. The article "Gear Drop" covers all of your questions and pro's and con's of each tranny. I'd have to agree that the 4R70W/ 4speed, 700tq is easiest to get your hands on and is a fairly straight forward swap.

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
i just had a 4r built and put in my car with OD and a MVB.

i went through hell, but some of that was my fault for buying used transmissions.

now mine is built and i LOVE IT. being a manual valve body, you dont even notice its automatic. it feels insane with never loosing boost, and having a whipple. next is a solid.

RKWFord

Established Member
i just had a 4r built and put in my car with OD and a MVB.

i went through hell, but some of that was my fault for buying used transmissions.

now mine is built and i LOVE IT. being a manual valve body, you dont even notice its automatic. it feels insane with never loosing boost, and having a whipple. next is a solid.

sound exactly what im wanting... what all did you have to get to put it all together?

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
its been done quite a few times...I had a 4r70w for the last 2 years and just swapped in a C4. its deff the way to go for a track/street car imo. Ive never looked back

03cobra283

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Established Member
its been done quite a few times...I had a 4r70w for the last 2 years and just swapped in a C4. its deff the way to go for a track/street car imo. Ive never looked back

Why did you swap to a c4? I have a c4 im thinking about building but I wanna still be able to go down the highway thats what was pushing me towards a 4r70w. But the car is mainly a track car.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Why did you swap to a c4? I have a c4 im thinking about building but I wanna still be able to go down the highway thats what was pushing me towards a 4r70w. But the car is mainly a track car.

I would say it all depends what tire/gear you are running.

I did it because my car is 75% a track whore. I'm trying to go as fast as I can this year and the C4 is about 40-50lbs lighter and SFI cert'ed for the track.

RKWFord

Established Member
Thanks for all of the info....
I think i'm gonna go with the 4r70w.. You guys that have one what all do I needto do the convesion... If anyone caould PM agood parts list I sure would appreciate it.. I hate to start a project & make 10 parts orders

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Thanks for all of the info....
I think i'm gonna go with the 4r70w.. You guys that have one what all do I needto do the convesion... If anyone caould PM agood parts list I sure would appreciate it.. I hate to start a project & make 10 parts orders

there should be a list on heres omewhere if you search....if you go to Modfords main page there is a huge tech article.

Users who are viewing this thread