Auto Remote Start Chirps Twice-FAILS! Cause?

RC-5.0

Established Member
The auto remote start does the usual single-horn beep when depressed, but then it beeps TWICE and nothing happens. Anyone know possible causes I can check out before making a trip to the dealer?

Car type/mods in sig.

Thanks
RC

RC-5.0

Established Member
Better off taking it to the dealer.

I figured that, but I also thought that MAYBE, JUST MAYBE there was "stupid" little thing that is causing it that someone here knows about to check (wouldn't be the first time).
RC

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
The auto remote start does the usual single-horn beep when depressed, but then it beeps TWICE and nothing happens. ...

RC-5.0,

Your dealer should be able to get this diagnosed for you. If you still need a hand after that, let me know and I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

RC-5.0

Established Member
RC-5.0,

Your dealer should be able to get this diagnosed for you. If you still need a hand after that, let me know and I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

Thanks...I was hoping to have some solutions to at least try out before the dealer, since my warrant is up and I gotta pay for the service.
RC

RC-5.0

Established Member
Hood switch for the remote start working right? I know my truck beeps at me twice and shuts down if i leave the door or hood open.

If I have a door open, it beeps 3 times. I read in my intense Google search something about a hood switch, but Im not sure what that meant. The hood IS closed and shut all the way..is there a different part called a "switch" that may not be working?

Thanks
RC

RC-5.0

Established Member
I found this from Ehow, but not sure where to look for mine or how to check..I guess that would be an easy thing for the dealer:

Check the brake wire and the hood switch wire if you remotely start your unit and the horn beeps twice. If this troubleshooting is not effective, check to see if the unit is in service mode.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_5159008_troubleshoot-ford-remote-starter.html#ixzz2yRyC39Ye

RC-5.0

Established Member
WELL, turns out it WAS something stupid. However I don't feel THAT badly, since it took the head Master Mechanic and Ford today to also realize what it was. The Hood switch for the auto remote is not the "usual" one to the left of the fuse box..it's an aftermarket one on the underside of the hood controlled with a mercury "positional" switch. When I removed the hood lining to wire the LED lights, I placed the lining over a portion of the switch, which kept it from returning to the usual (closed) position. The first picture is how it was, and the second is the correct way. I know nobody on the forum here is really interested in this, but maybe someday if someone does a search for the same problem it may help them.
RC

HoodSwitch02_zpsb9d79595.jpg

HoodSwitch01_zps3734ccbe.jpg

01bluesnake

Established Member
The mercury tilt switch IS the factory remote start hood switch. Fords been using the mercury tilt switch in their kits for a long time, but when installed some guys will op to tie into the factory hood switch. The mechanic probably doesn't or hasn't installed many kits, should of taken him a few minutes to actually see what the problem is. A lot of dealer master mechanics won't install or don't install the remote starts because they can't pay out the time it takes to a senior mechinic in what they have in install markup vs what an hourly apprentice gets paid. I'm an exception, I was sent out lcoally for factory remote start training to keep all installs uniform and correct even though I'm a senior tech because a lot of cars were being butchered.

RC-5.0

Established Member
The mercury tilt switch IS the factory remote start hood switch. Fords been using the mercury tilt switch in their kits for a long time, but when installed some guys will op to tie into the factory hood switch. The mechanic probably doesn't or hasn't installed many kits, should of taken him a few minutes to actually see what the problem is. A lot of dealer master mechanics won't install or don't install the remote starts because they can't pay out the time it takes to a senior mechinic in what they have in install markup vs what an hourly apprentice gets paid. I'm an exception, I was sent out lcoally for factory remote start training to keep all installs uniform and correct even though I'm a senior tech because a lot of cars were being butchered.

I meant that the auto remote does not use the factory hood switch near the fuse box, it uses that mercury one and a lot of guys dont even know what that is. It took the head Ford dealer mechanic to find it, since the main electrician didnt even know to look for it there. I put a thread asking what that part was with a photo and most people couldnt ID it

01bluesnake

Established Member
Correct, the auto remote start uses a tilt switch, not the same as the factory hood switch and is actually standard in most of the Ford kits except for the newer plug and play kits that are more integrated units within the factory system. I must of missed the other thread with the pic post ir could told you what the part was. Thats why i initially asked if the remote start hood switch was working properly, had a feeling this was the issue.

RC-5.0

Established Member
Correct, the auto remote start uses a tilt switch, not the same as the factory hood switch and is actually standard in most of the Ford kits except for the newer plug and play kits that are more integrated units within the factory system. I must of missed the other thread with the pic post ir could told you what the part was. Thats why i initially asked if the remote start hood switch was working properly, had a feeling this was the issue.

Right, but when you asked...I looked at the stock switch, and it seemed that it was fine. The picture I posted was after the fact, since I didn't know that the correct switch was there. They had it at the dealer for almost 4 hours because they (electrician) were trying to find a fault/ground from the STOCk hood switch to the power supply. If they knew to look at the correct switch, I would have been in and out in 5 minutes. I tucked it under rather than leaving it out...apparently that affected it. I actually inquired about that switch, but a couple guys thought it had to do with the air temp sensor.

Oh well, At least I got out with NO charge :)
RC

Tangnfi

C8950E88-BA6A-48A8-B4B0-C25F2C92BEA0.jpeg
27A988F1-A383-4262-8000-60BBDBAB0DAC.jpeg
AB66F317-15D5-46DA-9957-0BFED76220BB.jpeg
RC - you just saved me a s* ton of frustration and $! As a woman, I feel like I get hosed the second I walk through the door of a mechanic’s shop, let alone the dealer. Your fix was dead on and I want to say thanks so much for posting your updates and pics! Looks like my remote start hood sensor was actually ripped off! I’m guessing it should not be bent like it is. Do you think there is a way this could have happened organically?

Users who are viewing this thread