Autocross Guys... Help me out...

Silver04Cobra

Go Faster
Established Member
I have just finished an SCCA Rookie School and really want into the autox thing...

My Cobra is basically stock, no suspension mods or major power mods...

What kind of mods would you suggest to get started on?

SoftBatch

Keep Firing Assholes
Established Member
Silver04Cobra said:
I have just finished an SCCA Rookie School and really want into the autox thing...

Driving time, go to every autocross you can.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Silver04Cobra said:

Only two things to start off with: SEAT TIME!
Lowering kit and track only tires.

What group do you want to run in? But like it was said before, get to know the car as is, it may surprise you how good it is stock. A Mustang GT took the top spot for the Domestics in the Winged Warrior event this past weekend. That was against Vipers, Foci, Cobras, Neon (SRT), Corvettes ect!

Silver04Cobra

Go Faster
Established Member
To be honest... I am not even sure how the classes work. I need to start reading up on that. I think the first thing I will do is get some wheels and tires. Thinking about going with the 10th anniversary wheels cause they only weigh 23 lbs... also Kumho V710... they seemed to be the tire of choice out there at the school.

SoftBatch

Keep Firing Assholes
Established Member
You might want to try to stay in the stock class. Which if it is SCCA events the only mods allowed are: Front ARB, Tires, Exhaust, and Shocks.

# 1 thing to get is going to be seat time, head out to all your local and make some out of town events.

If you stay in stock you can try to beat up on Machs, S197s, Camaros and Firebirds.

SVTmojo

Track Junkie!
Established Member
If you are just starting out, I would save your money, and focus on seat time. You will have to replace your brakes and tires eventually. My first year, was all on street tires, helped me learn more about my car. This year, I am running R compound, totally different, but it was nice to learn and get comfortable on street tires

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
You asked a good question Silver04cobra. I have a desire to get involved in the auto x thing, but at this time, it isn't possible--but I will, sooner than later, get into it. Problem with me is that my car has more mods than I have driving skill. I'll be watching this forum. There needs to be more activity here anyway; besides, this is the direction my car is being built for.

Batman

Silver04Cobra

Go Faster
Established Member
bat-stang said:
You asked a good question Silver04cobra. I have a desire to get involved in the auto x thing, but at this time, it isn't possible--but I will, sooner than later, get into it. Problem with me is that my car has more mods than I have driving skill. I'll be watching this forum. There needs to be more activity here anyway; besides, this is the direction my car is being built for.

Batman

Understandable... I have found this to be much more fun than the quarter mile.

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Silver04Cobra said:
Understandable... I have found this to be much more fun than the quater mile.
And addicting! I am taking my kids for right seat rides using a ChatterBox this coming weekend.

svtruck

Huge Member
Established Member
I can't recommend enough to stay on street tires and get more seat time. Switching to r-compounds to early will really hurt your driving development. I stayed on streets for a year's worth of autocross.

If you have the mod-bug like most of us, do smaller modifications that won't bump you up to many classes. Read the class rules and do a search here, or Corral's Road Race/AutoX forum and CornerCarvers.com to see what mods will bump you out of stock into E Street Prepared.

- Ryan

Primaris

Established Member
Silver04Cobra said:

Sell the Cobra and get an SVTF!

But if you have your heart set on autocrossing a '78 Fairmont :poke: then for the first year don't do squat to the car. Most fast autocrossers will also suggest you stick to a good street tire (MX or Azenia) for at least a year too. R compound tires will hide mistakes and cause you to develop bad habits.

If you get serious about autocrossing you will also learn that unfortunately Ford does not have any completive cars in the stock classes.

SoftBatch

Keep Firing Assholes
Established Member
Primaris said:

But if you have your heart set on autocrossing a '78 Fairmont :poke: then for the first year don't do squat to the car. Most fast autocrossers will also suggest you stick to a good street tire (MX or Azenia) for at least a year too. R compound tires will hide mistakes and cause you to develop bad habits.

If you get serious about autocrossing you will also learn that unfortunately Ford does not have any completive cars in the stock classes.

A Mach won FS in 2004, of course that was with a great driver but it is possible. Also a 05 GT won the Deven National Tour event a few weeks ago.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I would say spend your money on seat time and if you want to do some mods find ways to get rid of any weight you can that doesn't violate the class rules.

svtruck

Huge Member
Established Member
Primaris said:

I don't see very many Foci in contention in the 2005 Nationals results...mostly back-markers in SM...only one SVT in GS who was way back in the field. :rolleyes:

Hmmm, I see quite a few Mustangs though.

Maybe you should trade YOUR car in on a Mini Cooper S so you can compete.

WPGFORDGUY

Established Member
Seat time... leave the damn car alone, modding it will make you slower!

THe biggest mistake I made was trying out new parts all the time and the car ( my DMOD '02 ) was never consitant.

Primaris

Established Member
svtruck said:
I don't see very many Foci in contention in the 2005 Nationals results...mostly back-markers in SM...only one SVT in GS who was way back in the field. :rolleyes:

Hmmm, I see quite a few Mustangs though.

Maybe you should trade YOUR car in on a Mini Cooper S so you can compete.

...If you get serious about autocrossing you will also learn that unfortunately Ford does not have any completive cars in the stock classes...
Gee you didn't see any SVTF in GS at nationals, I don't know but I think I might have mentioned something along those lines. :lol:

Humm, I think someone's feelings got hurt here. Since you think the Mustang is good: psst it's less than 20% wins for the Fairmont

Code:
F Stock:
2005 Casey Weiss Garland, TX Chevrolet Camaro
2004 David Schotz Granada Hills, CA Ford Mach 1
2003 Mike Johnson Rutherford, NJ Chevrolet Z-28
2002 Paul Kozlak Harleysville, PA Chevrolet Camaro
2001 Paul Kozlak Harleysville, PA Chevrolet Camaro
2000 Mark Daddio Beacon Falls,CT Chevrolet Camaro
1999 Pat Salerno Danbury, CT Chevrolet Camaro
1998 Dean Sapp Catonsville, MD Pontiac Firebird
1997 Chris Ramey Cypress, TX Chevrolet Camaro
1996 Brian Goodner Des Moines, IA Chevrolet Camaro