Automatic for a 66 w/ a 351W Suggestions.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
I’m building a ‘66 coupe with a 351W in the 350 to 400 hp range. And looking to put an automatic behind it. Applications is street
Hotrod with decent drivability and moderate road-course Performance.

Suggestions please.

railroad

Established Member
I have a 66 2+2 with a 351 and a C-4 auto.
My hp is probably 300 flywheel hp.
I am running 3.50 gears, no fun on the highway.
No problems in fitting the C-4.
With your hp you might be able to 3.00 gears and live with the non overdrive trans.
I should have looked at an AOD. Do not know how the fit would be.

ToddW702

Established Member
If you can do an AOD do it. The C-4 leaves a lot to be desired when driving. With your combo an AOD would be a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

GT350R

Established Member
The AOD makes far far better drivability with anything lower than. 3.00 gears.

The C4's are cheaper easier, and not susceptible to TV cable failure.

I've run both, I like the car the best with a 5-speed. With that said, I sold the car....

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I used to have a 77 Granada with a 351W backed up by a C4. Think the rear end was a low highway gear. Can't remember the exact ratio. The car ran great, but it wasn't a race car by any means. Very good cruiser.

If you have a lower rear-end gear you should be fine. Like 2.XX. The problem with the C4 is the 3rd gear is one to one. So, your rear end gear will determine how drivable it is.

An AOD will probably give you better overall performance since you can run a high rear end gear for the low end performance and then have the overdrive for the highway.

You need to determine what you want to do with your car. Strictly street. Street with some track. Highway cruising (i.e. hotrod power tour), etc. The C4 can be built to handle power. Your gear ratio set up is what will make or break your build.

I also had my 65 Mustang with a 347 backed up by a C4. I ran 3.70 rear-end gears. The car was a blast at the track and on the street. However, highway driving sucked. Would be doing 55MPH at 3000 RPM.

So, bottom line:

AOD for all around performance (Basically, what you're looking for)
C4, but you have to choose street or strip. Hard to set up a C4 for both. And since your first statement is street hotrod I would say C4 with a low rear end gear (i.e. 2.xx). Problem is this will not net you the performance you may want on those road course days.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread