Automotive Oscilloscopes

shurur

Established Member
Ok..I am starting to look at getting an O'scope for automotive.

I have a LT for my Audi VCDS, so if O'scope uses a LT for display, that is fine.

I would like to stay in the $400 or less range.

Would like something that will not get burnt by 500V spikes and doesn't need 9V batteries.

Looking at Pico, Autel, Hantek.

Experiencing analysis paralysis..

All input is good input.
Thanks in advance.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I use o-scopes quite a bit in my day to day life. There's really no difference between the automotive version and "normal" version. Maybe the auto version is more rugged, but the ones I've come in contact with work identical to what I have on my bench at work.

I have an old ass Fluke Scopemeter in the garage I bought off an old coworker. It's not labeled as automotive, but I've used it a few times in the garage. The plus side is that it also works as a DMM.

Something like this: 99 SERIES II Fluke Meter

My point being it doesn't need to be built for automotive to be used in the garage.

Just in case, I'm a calibration (electronic) tech for my day to day job.

shurur

Established Member
I use o-scopes quite a bit in my day to day life. There's really no difference between the automotive version and "normal" version. Maybe the auto version is more rugged, but the ones I've come in contact with work identical to what I have on my bench at work.

I have an old ass Fluke Scopemeter in the garage I bought off an old coworker. It's not labeled as automotive, but I've used it a few times in the garage. The plus side is that it also works as a DMM.

Something like this: 99 SERIES II Fluke Meter

My point being it doesn't need to be built for automotive to be used in the garage.

Just in case, I'm a calibration (electronic) tech for my day to day job.
Thanks.
I was thinking maybe the company and forum support would be better for something new.

Looking at used scopes now.
But want digital with storage.

I was a electronics tech in Navy, ASET, BSEE digital design...etc, so I am comfortable with O'scopes.

It is interesting how inexpensive they are!

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Thanks.
I was thinking maybe the company and forum support would be better for something new.

Looking at used scopes now.
But want digital with storage.

I was a electronics tech in Navy, ASET, BSEE digital design...etc, so I am comfortable with O'scopes.

It is interesting how inexpensive they are!
I was an AT in the Navy. Started off working on the radar for the S-3 then when it was decommed I moved over to calibration and have been here ever since. I put down my experience so you wouldn't think I was just spewing something I've read on Google. I've actually pushed the buttons on some random things.

I've thought about grabbing a TDS2000 or 3000 series just to have around. They're stupid simple to use and I've rarely seen one go bad.

Users who are viewing this thread