AutoX on F1s

RagTopSnake

Established Member
I know this is worse than suboptimal, but I want to try autox without breaking my piggybank. Any advice on tire pressure running 10k mile F1s in autox? (don't worry if I like it; azenis will be acquired)

racebronco2

Established Member
i just started running my cobra this year(bought it 11/04) in solo2 .... lowered, 28mm front bar(off of an 00 cobra) and irs subframe bushings i was running 44 front and 36 rear ..seemed to work best .... stock gearing sucks for the autocross course .... i drove most of the course in 2nd gear ... shifting from 2nd to 1st seemed faster but leaving it in 2nd after the start was quicker according to the clock ... remember late brake(our cars have really good brakes and use your left foot to brake and to balance it out thru out the course) late apex and pedal to the metal and late brake agian ... over and over again .... if you don't slow down enough you will plow coming out of the turns therefor you will not be at the correct place on the track, causing you to have a slower time ....

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
The gearing is actually pretty good in that you just shift once and forget about it leaving it in second. It will probably be cheaper in the long run to buy a set of race tires and wheels and switch them out then it is to run on your street tires. Look at your tires at the end of the day, and notice how much wear you put them through. Besides, race tires will make it a lot more fun and will be the best money you could spend toward going faster on an autocross course.

RagTopSnake

Established Member
Can you still run stock with race tires? I thought they had to be DOT, but you could use R compounds?? I want to try to stay in stock and avoid the temptation of spending myself out of having fun.

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
Yep, check out tirerack.com and look at the kumho v710's and the hoosier tires they have. They are all dot tires, but made for racing. Obviously, you have to tote them to the event unless you live close, but you will notice all the fast stock guys are running race tires.

If I were you, I would run ESP even if your car is stock...gives you room to modify things as you want (just know the rules), and you will be running against more ponycars...just my two cents.

Have fun:)

Users who are viewing this thread