AWD TrailBlazer SS vs. Ford Lightning

tistan

Established Member
Any reason why or you just like to draw attention to yourself.

I'm not buying it either. Main reason is because I own a stock lightning and a stock AWD trailblazer ss. My lighting puts bus lengths on the SS. My SS barely outruns my friends quadcab Toyota Tundra.

C9A1L1L

CALL EM!
Established Member
I am trying to decide if I want a lightning or a tbss awd. We get a little snow here but I doubt I would drive in it much.

GJ grave digging this POS thread up but if you are trying to decide between a TBSS and an L I'd have to ask, wtf are your goals? apples to oranges... SUV to a Truck... Soccer Mom wagon on steroids vs Redneck rocket.

If you need space then go with the TBSS. If you want attention and don't have a family to worry about or have a family vehicle and simple need a fun truck to play around with, get the L.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Anyone eever thought that MAYBE the Lighting was heat soaked? Shitty tune plus heat soak must've been a huge factor in running as fast as the SS. No offense O.P, I personally like the TBSS, just the thought of having a low 14 sec SUV or faster is exciting!

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
12.7's @ 105
Most L's down here dont run that well. Heck, how many L track threads there are where L's with a 6lb lower cant even break into the 12's. A LOT. It's street racing my friend.

And if it's on the street, truck might be pulling timing. I know my IAT2's get to 180-190 on a summer day. That puts me at 2* of timing at WOT :cryying:

Last edited:

tistan

Established Member
Anyone eever thought that MAYBE the Lighting was heat soaked? Shitty tune plus heat soak must've been a huge factor in running as fast as the SS. No offense O.P, I personally like the TBSS, just the thought of having a low 14 sec SUV or faster is exciting!

The Lighting would have to be missing a cylinder to be outrun by the SS. I cannot explain how slow the stock AWD SS is. It does have 390hp, but it has no low end torque to get that heavy SUV moving.

DarkMach1

Established Member
Op, sounds like you understand that anything can happen in the street. If you want to have any chance of hanging on after the L does more mods then you need an intake and tune and if your budget allows, an electric fan, this should put you at around 350whp. After that if you want to keep going go with longtubes. Go from a dig AND turn off traction control and stabilitrac (very important)

The Lighting would have to be missing a cylinder to be outrun by the SS. I cannot explain how slow the stock AWD SS is. It does have 390hp, but it has no low end torque to get that heavy SUV moving.

This and your previous post kinda makes you like you don't know jack. First of all, a tundra being as fast as a TBSS? C'mon! And about the TBSS not having any low end torque, you might want to pop the hood and make sure the previous owner didn't swap a 4.2 base model trailblazer motor in there. Considering the weight of this truck, with traction control/stabilitrac off, this thing takes off like a bat out of hell, I've surprised quite a few people with it.

Last edited:

65fastback2+2

Established Member
so wait

the TBSS is slow because it weighs a ton and because it has huge frontal area?

Lets see
Lightning weight - 4700 pounds
TBSS RWD - 4680 pounds
TBSS AWD - 4860 pounds

and truck vs. suv frontal area is the same...its larger than a whale

in other words, tbss's typically blow. but good job at trying to make up excuses.

ford ftw!

65fastback2+2

Established Member
This and your previous post kinda makes you like you don't know jack. First of all, a tundra being as fast as a TBSS? C'mon! And about the TBSS not having any low end torque, you might want to pop the hood and make sure the previous owner didn't swap a 4.2 base model trailblazer motor in there. Considering the weight of this truck, with traction control/stabilitrac off, this thing takes off like a bat out of hell, I've surprised quite a few people with it.

he has an L as do I....and they weigh the same as TBSS's and tear that hunk of ls2 junk up

so, i would say he knows what he's talking about

Wildman113

Established Member
he has an L as do I....and they weigh the same as TBSS's and tear that hunk of ls2 junk up

Anyone that calls can LS2 a "Hunk of junk" obviously has a severe superiority complex and needs to learn a thing or two about the competition before making stupid comments :poke:

As if the 5.4 2V is some kind of engineering marvel...if it weren't for the blower it would be a 19 second truck!!

tistan

Established Member

Seeing as my SS was bought new from the dealer, I don't have to worry about what a previous owner did. Tundras makes pretty close to the same hp and tq as an SS. Also my friends stock Tundra ran a 14.6 in the quarter, and that was getting that heavy truck moving from a dig, so it isn't that far behind a ss from a roll. Trailblazer ss doesn't have any low end torque. SS makes 400 ftlbs @4000 rpm, stock lighting makes 450ftlbs @3200 rpm. Most stock lightning I have seen dynoed make around 450ftlbs @ the rear tires. Maybe you need to take a ride in a lightning and see what low end torque feels like.

tistan

Established Member
Anyone that calls can LS2 a "Hunk of junk" obviously has a severe superiority complex and needs to learn a thing or two about the competition before making stupid comments :poke:

As if the 5.4 2V is some kind of engineering marvel...if it weren't for the blower it would be a 19 second truck!!

If you don't call it a hunk of junk, then what do you call a motor in your brand new $43k suv that knocks until it warms up.

BlueSnake01

Established Member

But you don't own a TBSS :poke: I'm sure the L should've easily taken the win but it didn't. I'm sure you have encountered races where you should have lost but was neck to neck or vise versa. One race won't be everyone's outcome, everyone knows the L had the advantage. O.P just came in to post a story abut his encounter where that didn't happen. Doesn't necessarily mean it will alsways be the same outcome.

DarkMach1

Established Member

Please enlighten me on what that has anything to do with what I said? Anyone can buy a car/truck, having any kind of knowledge is a whole different deal. And what exactly makes an LS2 a piece of junk?

Seeing as my SS was bought new from the dealer, I don't have to worry about what a previous owner did. Tundras makes pretty close to the same hp and tq as an SS. Also my friends stock Tundra ran a 14.6 in the quarter, and that was getting that heavy truck moving from a dig, so it isn't that far behind a ss from a roll. Trailblazer ss doesn't have any low end torque. SS makes 400 ftlbs @4000 rpm, stock lighting makes 450ftlbs @3200 rpm. Most stock lightning I have seen dynoed make around 450ftlbs @ the rear tires. Maybe you need to take a ride in a lightning and see what low end torque feels like.

I know what low end torque feels like, I've owned a roots blower car.

If you don't call it a hunk of junk, then what do you call a motor in your brand new $43k suv that knocks until it warms up.

Well thats called a lemon, just because you bought the truck the dealer employees had tons of fun in doesnt mean they all knock. Do some research before purchasing a new car from a dealer just because its new/seller says the sound its normal doesnt make it so. Look into the knock and fix it before you pass ALL TBSS as being junk.

65fastback2+2

Established Member

rockon_ford.gif

But you don't own a TBSS :poke: I'm sure the L should've easily taken the win but it didn't. I'm sure you have encountered races where you should have lost but was neck to neck or vise versa. One race won't be everyone's outcome, everyone knows the L had the advantage. O.P just came in to post a story abut his encounter where that didn't happen. Doesn't necessarily mean it will alsways be the same outcome.

I cant ever get any races....loud exhaust + SC whine scares everyone off.

my point was, L and TBSS are rated at near the same power and are almost identical weight. and the whole "but the TBSS weighs more" excuse is inaccurate and hogwash.

tistan

Established Member
Please enlighten me on what that has anything to do with what I said? Anyone can buy a car/truck, having any kind of knowledge is a whole different deal. And what exactly makes an LS2 a piece of junk?

I know what low end torque feels like, I've owned a roots blower car.

Well thats called a lemon, just because you bought the truck the dealer employees had tons of fun in doesnt mean they all knock. Do some research before purchasing a new car from a dealer just because its new/seller says the sound its normal doesnt make it so. Look into the knock and fix it before you pass ALL TBSS as being junk.

Yeah, I am sure the employees chose the take out and dog an AWD SS that can't even do a burnout over the numerous vettes on their lot. Besides it was an ordered car and we picked it up the day it was delivered to the dealer. The piston slap is problem with a lot of LS motors, and they don't come with it, they develop it in the first couple thousand miles. I guess I shouldn't mention the both the passenger and driver power window motors going out in the first 36k miles, leaking front diff, 3 year old A/C needing a recharge, cheap ass plastic pieces that commonly break, and lets not forget the weak ass transmission that breaks when you start modifying. It is not a lemon, it is just the quality of a gm product. I also have a 05 GTO with some nice gm quality issues that also affect a lot of other gto owners.

tistan

Established Member
rockon_ford.gif

my point was, L and TBSS are rated at near the same power and are almost identical weight. and the whole "but the TBSS weighs more" excuse is inaccurate and hogwash.

Stock for stock, their hp rating is near the same, but the L has a rated 50 ftlbs of torque more. The L motor was underated from the factory. Most stock lightnings I have seen dyno sheets on 340-350 rwhp and 450rwtq. I havn't dynod my current 04 L, but my last stock 04 L put down 345rwhp 447 rwtq. Assuming a 18% drivetrain loss, that put me around 420hp at the motor and well over 500tq.

Last edited:

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I cant ever get any races....loud exhaust + SC whine scares everyone off
There's no street scene there or race track?

There's tons of people who can and will blow the paint off the side my truck around here. Get's the the point where you go out there with a truck and you should expect to lose.:bash:

if it weren't for the blower it would be a 19 second truck!!
well of course!

And saying an LS motor isnt worth a damn just says please ignore everything i type because im an ignorant nut swinger.

Last edited:

DarkMach1

Established Member
its not a ford

rockon_ford.gif

Please, nutswinger. I love fords,too, doesnt mean I have blinders on.

rockon_ford.gif

Oh, yea I can see a lot of people terrified of a lightning:rolleyes:

Rated and actual are two different things.

Yeah, I am sure the employees chose the take out and dog an AWD SS that can't even do a burnout over the numerous vettes on their lot. Besides it was an ordered car and we picked it up the day it was delivered to the dealer. The piston slap is problem with a lot of LS motors, and they don't come with it, they develop it in the first couple thousand miles. I guess I shouldn't mention the both the passenger and driver power window motors going out in the first 36k miles, leaking front diff, 3 year old A/C needing a recharge, cheap ass plastic pieces that commonly break, and lets not forget the weak ass transmission that breaks when you start modifying. It is not a lemon, it is just the quality of a gm product. I also have a 05 GTO with some nice gm quality issues that also affect a lot of other gto owners.

Mine can do a burnout just fine. Again research before you buy. What year is yours, BTW?

Last edited:

tistan

Established Member
Please, nutswinger. I love fords,too, doesnt mean I have blinders on.

Oh, yea I can see a lot of people terrified of a lightning:rolleyes:

Rated and actual are two different things.

Mine can do a burnout just fine. Again research before you buy. What year is yours, BTW?

Mine is an 07, it is actually my wifes DD. I will give the SS thumbs up on one thing, they wreck real good. I totaled out my wifes first month old SS. Dumb lady ran a stop sign and t boned me in the front wheel. The force snatched the steering wheel out of my hand, and sent me off roading through some trees and over a ditch. That is the reason we had to special order the second one. She wanted it the exact same as the first one. She wanted the dark blue with AWD and they don't send too many vehicles with AWD to the south. I really wanted to get the 2wd pewter one they had at the dealer, but she wouldn't budge.

Users who are viewing this thread