AWD TrailBlazer SS vs. Ford Lightning

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Stock for stock, their hp rating is near the same, but the L has a rated 50 ftlbs of torque more. The L motor was underated from the factory. Most stock lightnings I have seen dyno sheets on 340-350 rwhp and 450rwtq. I havn't dynod my current 04 L, but my last stock 04 L put down 345rwhp 447 rwtq. Assuming a 18% drivetrain loss, that put me around 420hp at the motor and well over 500tq.
I thought the drivetrain loss in a lighting was 11.2? Remember its not always about TQ. I make a crap load of TQ more than an stock Evo/Sti does but they can easily outlaunch me from a stop. AWD makes wonders on launches and I heard great stuff on the TBSS AWD launch.

And for the Ford nutswingers. The Terminator engine didnt cone out perfect either. Anyone remember the "tick" problem? Another known problem on Ford engines is the heads blowing up spark plugs. No engine is perfect, they are made by humans.

ls2 klr

Established Member
I'd have to agree the L should have pulled alot more. A rwd tbss will only run a low 14 so they aren't anything special. Hell with pretty much full bolt ons my wife's only makes 370 and low 13s.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Thats weird........even a stock lightning should eat you up. Ive seen plenty of stock TBSS run at the track and Im not impressed. They run 15.7s all day up here at my altitude which would put them somewhere around mid to high 14s at sea level. A pullied lightning should be an easy mid to low 13 second truck.

Maybe he couldnt shift, but with equal drivers you should have lost bad.

Wildman113

Established Member
If you don't call it a hunk of junk, then what do you call a motor in your brand new $43k suv that knocks until it warms up.

A factory defect that you should have take back to the dealer and had replaced. Late model LS series engines are not generally known for piston slap issues, that was corrected in earlier years. My '98 LS1 has 95,000 hard miles on it and not a trace of any piston slap. You obviously don't know jack about GM engines.

Gotta love the hate on GM products, yet FORD is 99% of the time the butt of all automotive jokes. Just mention 6.0 Powerstroke and people will start making fun of you. My '04 Cobra has 37,000 miles and the steering shaft is completely worn out so there is tons of slop in the wheel. There is no excuse for that, but it is what it is, I will replace it with an upgraded MM shaft, no hard feelings. I bought a Cobra because I like the car, not to be a stupid FORD fanboy.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
he has an L as do I....and they weigh the same as TBSS's and tear that hunk of ls2 junk up

so, i would say he knows what he's talking about

I also hope your Lightning has more than just a pully/bolt-ons... Because there are quite a few "junk LS2" TBSS's that will make that truck of yours look pretty slow.... And even if it does have a KB setup... There are still pleanty of them out there that will walk you.

Most of them are just your typical 13/14 second trucks, but some people actually decide to go nuts with them and build the crap out of them.

Mach&Roll

Established Member
Oh man now I have really muddied up the waters. I just drove a ram srt10. Now I really don't know what to get.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I ran a TBSS in my L back in the day, we were both bone stock and i got him by 2 solid lengths from a roll. From a stop he got out on me and i reeled him in breaking even by 100mph (roughly a 1/4 mile race).

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
lol at the above argument. good run, op. who runs a 2lb pulley?? seriously??

chevellecobra

Established Member
I have a TBSS (AWD) for my daily and just got rid of my 04 lightning. The lightning is definately faster stock to stock. Quality wise the TBSS is junk and the lightning never gave me an issue. I do not beat on the TBSS and yet the transmission grenaded at 50K miles while driving 20 mph in my neighborhood. Tons of other issues with it too. Everytime I get in it I wait for another light to come on in the dash.

I miss my lightning (I just had to have a GT500....).

tistan

Established Member
A factory defect that you should have take back to the dealer and had replaced. Late model LS series engines are not generally known for piston slap issues, that was corrected in earlier years. My '98 LS1 has 95,000 hard miles on it and not a trace of any piston slap. You obviously don't know jack about GM engines.

Gotta love the hate on GM products, yet FORD is 99% of the time the butt of all automotive jokes. Just mention 6.0 Powerstroke and people will start making fun of you. My '04 Cobra has 37,000 miles and the steering shaft is completely worn out so there is tons of slop in the wheel. There is no excuse for that, but it is what it is, I will replace it with an upgraded MM shaft, no hard feelings. I bought a Cobra because I like the car, not to be a stupid FORD fanboy.

Do you really want to jump on powerstroke diesels when gm has had all kinds of injector problems with their diesels. Most powerstroke problems come from aftermarket handheld tuners that double the boost.

Since I don't know shit about gm motors, and you know so much about gm motors, can you tell me what motor is in this 05 GTO?

IMG_0069.jpg

Wildman113

Established Member
Do you really want to jump on powerstroke diesels when gm has had all kinds of injector problems with their diesels. Most powerstroke problems come from aftermarket handheld tuners that double the boost.

Then you are either in denile or don't know anything about 6.0 Powerstrokes. They chew up head gaskets, EGR coolers, ERG valves, High Pressure Oil Pumps, Injectors, turbochargers, the list goes on. They are junk motors, plain and simple, and the majority of the repair work on the 6.0 and 6.4 engines requires removing the truck body from the chassis. The 7.3 has more than its share of problems as well, including injector harnesses that fail, oil pans that rot from the inside out, HPOP leaks and failures, injector failures, injector driver module failures, ect.

The Duramax has had very few problems, and most originate from people modifying them extensively. I know plenty of people with 100K+ miles D-max trucks with no issues whatsoever. Can't say the same for the Powerstroke.

Since I don't know shit about gm motors, and you know so much about gm motors, can you tell me what motor is in this 05 GTO?

Since you obviously don't realize it is impossible to tell what engine that is by a PICTURE, the '05 GTO's came with an LS2 stock. The LS engine in the picture appears to be from a C6 Corvette, given the location of the alternator and power steering pump.

Last edited:

tistan

Established Member
No, if you know gm motors, it is possible to tell what that is from the picture.

ALLNTRL

Established Member
By the picture it is at least an LS7 (see oil tank). Don't know about AWD TBSS's, but our 2006 RWD Runs Strong. I have hurt Many a guys feelings with my big suv, and from a roll is where it does best! :burnout:

tistan

Established Member
By the picture it is at least an LS7 (see oil tank). Don't know about AWD TBSS's, but our 2006 RWD Runs Strong. I have hurt Many a guys feelings with my big suv, and from a roll is where it does best! :burnout:

I thought that would have been an obvious dead give away to wildman since he knows so much.

I have a friend with a two wheel drive SS, and it is pretty quick. It is just that the AWD eats up more hp and adds weight that makes it too slow to slap SS on the side of it.

Last edited:

blake_colvin

Established Member

IMG_0069.jpg

...LSX :shrug: :poke:

siLversLeigh

Established Member
My buddy had stock 06 rwd tbss i had stock 04 L. From a dig I'd pull almost 2 lengths and just hold it til 105 or so where he'd start to inch back. Obviously it was different after the whipple but thats a moot point. His trans did that slip bang crap after 15k. Was nice vehicle tho.

Edit: He was stock minus a canned Vector tune.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread