Back from the track with new pulley times

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I can finally update my sig from 12.74 @ 113 mph pre-pulley to 12.28 @ 117 with the new 2.93 pulley. The car pulled like a beast all the way up to redline. Track prep was not the greatest because it was street car night, so I had to launch at 2k RPMs - anything more would just spin. Because of that, my 60' times were only 1.9's and my 1/8 mark was 8.047 @ 92.17 mph - still not too bad. I feel I could easily get into the 11's if I could do some 3500 rpm launches and stick.

Overall, I am pretty satisfied with the improvement and now I am knocking on the door of 11's! :beer:

lifter213

Established Member
Congrats Dan. That's awesome. :beer: I almost went tonight also but figured it would be very crowded.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
CobraFreak - yes, it was at Ennis

Keith - I was hot lapping from 7-8 PM. It started getting busier as the sun went down, but I never waited more than 20 minutes or so for a run. They worked the motorcycles and rails in pretty smoothly.

Coleman - there were a few Machs up there. My first run was with a dark grey one with M/T street tires driven by a guy named Dan as well. He had no power or engine mods, just a beefed up rear end and I think an exhaust. He told me before the run he was up there looking for a 12.7. We lined up, because it was the first run and I did not know how the track was hooking, I launced at 2k RPMs. He reved his up to 5k, and when the light turned - he was GONE. I didn't catch him until the 1/8 mile mark! We compared slips after the run and I got a 12.2 but he got a 12.5! On a mostly stock Mach! His 60' was 1.7 and his 1/8 mile time was 8.008. He was making mad launches all night long and putting a whoopin on the other Mach guys.

In typical Ennis street car night, the track got worse as the night wore on. It got where I hooked great at the line, but 20' out I would spin. Towards the end of the night, I had to launch at 3500 to keep from bogging, then get out of it a bit or engage my clutch some then get back on it once I was rolling good - it was almost impossible to get through first gear smoothly. Of course, the huge bump in torque from my pulley swap made that much worse. :-D

I really wanted to run a Z06, due to the recent debate that was going on in another thread. There were three out there last night, two were running low 13's and HIGH 12's ( I really wanted a run with those on video) but one had slicks and a bunch of mods and was running mid 11's and sounding awesome doing it. My wife got most of my runs on our digital camcorder - the one with the grey Mach was great. I was hoping to see a few of the DFW gang out there, maybe next time.

Later,
Dan

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Dan,, what I want to know is why it took you this long to install a pulley? LOL! Congrats on the mods and the new track times. So what's next?

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Originally posted by DD2000GT
I can finally update my sig from 12.74 @ 113 mph pre-pulley to 12.28 @ 117 with the new 2.93 pulley. The car pulled like a beast all the way up to redline. Track prep was not the greatest because it was street car night, so I had to launch at 2k RPMs - anything more would just spin. Because of that, my 60' times were only 1.9's and my 1/8 mark was 8.047 @ 92.17 mph - still not too bad. I feel I could easily get into the 11's if I could do some 3500 rpm launches and stick.

Overall, I am pretty satisfied with the improvement and now I am knocking on the door of 11's! :beer:

Nice times Dan, especially for street tires/nittos. My one pass at Ennis w/ 2.93 pulley was 2.17 60', 8.07/93.3mph 1/8th, 12.26 @ 118.5. It was very cool that night, I had not learned to powershift the car yet and was running on F1s. The cool air will give you 2+mph easy.

Hey funny story about the other day when we raced.. My co-worker was behind me in his V12 bimmer, nice car but its been hard to explain to him how much faster the Cobra is. Anyway, before we ran into you we started our trip in Richardson on the way over toPlano and we were following each other. First event from Richardson to Plano: he nails it on the access road, passes two cars, gets upto about 70 and then stuffs it behind a couple of other cars and a truck. I decide WTH and pass him and everything else in front of him and hit the onramp at 110mph and merge onto the Tollroad. I get in the fast lane, set the cruise to 84 (we were late).. within 2 miles I have a Golf turbo messing w/ me, slowing to 80, then blasting past weaving through traffic and getting upto maybe 100 or so? I wasn't biting but the whole time my coworker was behind me watching. Finally through the tollbooth area the golf begins a ricer flyby of everything (w/ the extra lane on the left for FastPass).. I decide to do the same to him and when he sees this I think he floored it but I dispatched him in a couple of seconds. No biggie.

To end that 12 mile trip, I pull off the tollway onto Legacy and what do I spy ahead but another Sonic Blue 03 Coupe. Its Dan, and he's sitting at a light in the right lane, 5 cars in the left and middle, but Dan has pole position. Sweet. But wait, a honda is pulling in behind him, dang it. Oh cool, Honda takes the turn lane. My v12 bimmer driving buddy pulls up behind us. Dan and I run upto about mid-top of 3rd and about 5 seconds later after Dan and I chat he comes pulling up quick on the brakes. When we got out of the car at our "customer" he was speechless and laughing at every encounter. He finally got the point.

I thought I convinced you to get the 2.80 and Apten and 3.73 gears after that? ;)

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Jerry - no excusses - your car is fast. But, I had a drop-in K&N filter in the stock airbox and my timig was way off. I got the K&N FIPK installed Thursday night and adjusted the fuel and timing on the Predator and all I could say Friday moring over and over is "DAMN!" what a difference! I know you still will pull me, but at least I can give you better competition now :-D I did not know that was you, and got REAL surprised when you started pulling me. I am not used to that experience! BTW - your exhaust sounds bad a$$, you should hear it from outside the car. :thumbsup:

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
Dan,, what I want to know is why it took you this long to install a pulley? LOL! Congrats on the mods and the new track times. So what's next?

I have an extended warranty, plus four teenage boys so I don't have a ton of extra cash and can't afford to replace my engine without warranty. I wanted to get 15k-20k miles on the car and make sure I don't get the "tick" or have any other glaring problems. I waited to 18k and that was hard enough seeing as how I had the pulley for about a year now. I have been taking it to the local GTG's and had it on top of my monitor like a work of art. My wife thought I was crazy :-D I also had to save up for the Predator to tune it.

If I can sell my exhaust and old DenseCharger, I am looking at Denso plugs and a Plasma Booster as I had to reduce the gap on my TR6's to .030 and would like to open that up a bit more. After that - who knows :coolman: When I sold my modded 2000 GT for the Cobra, I told my wife it was pperfect and I wouldn't need to mod it at all - right! :-D

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Way to go Dan!! I know you will be in the 11's with a better prepped track and some cooler air. Sure wish I had some time to get to the track here...hopfully in the fall. Again..Congrats!!!

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Dan, your car is fast, I think we put on a great show running side-by side down Legacy, it was a blast!! :) I know that the 2.93 is a potent combo, how much timing were you running with it then and how much now? I ran my 2.93 w/ 25-26 degrees w/ the Gords HE and dual SPAL fans and Densecharger. Thats how it dyno'd 465/485 SAE (you'll need the BF Throttle Body to get that torque). AFR was < 12.0 across the board. I just looked at my old timeslips: best 1/8th w/ the 2.93 and unported Eaton was 7.55 at 95mph, that was on slicks (and a slipping stock clutch). If we go to the track together you're welcome to try my slicks for a pass or two, let me know the next time you go. Same goes for you Coleman.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by Jerryk
Dan, your car is fast, I think we put on a great show running side-by side down Legacy, it was a blast!! :) I know that the 2.93 is a potent combo, how much timing were you running with it then and how much now? I ran my 2.93 w/ 25-26 degrees w/ the Gords HE and dual SPAL fans and Densecharger. Thats how it dyno'd 465/485 SAE (you'll need the BF Throttle Body to get that torque). AFR was < 12.0 across the board. I just looked at my old timeslips: best 1/8th w/ the 2.93 and unported Eaton was 7.55 at 95mph, that was on slicks (and a slipping stock clutch). If we go to the track together you're welcome to try my slicks for a pass or two, let me know the next time you go. Same goes for you Coleman.

Jerry - I was running about 20 degrees advance on my timing the day we ran, I am at 22 now. My a/f is 12:1 flat until 6k RPMs, then it hits about 11.8:1. I need to upgrad the HE or get fans, I know I am hitting heat soak fairly quickly. 7.55@ 95 mph is insane, I will indeed take you up on your offer to borrow the slicks! :beer:

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Originally posted by DD2000GT
Jerry - I was running about 20 degrees advance on my timing the day we ran, I am at 22 now. My a/f is 12:1 flat until 6k RPMs, then it hits about 11.8:1. I need to upgrad the HE or get fans, I know I am hitting heat soak fairly quickly. 7.55@ 95 mph is insane, I will indeed take you up on your offer to borrow the slicks! :beer:

Anytime.. and try bumping it to 25 or 26 and let me know what you think :) I've had mine like that since day 1 when I pullied it.

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
Beware of what use to be a fabulous place to open her up, George Bush or the other tool road, DPS is now running Laser and they are getting devious. Just isn't fun anymore.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
What's wrong Larry - another ticket? :p DPS has always monitored 190, but only one at a time. If you see one, you know the rest of the road is open... :-D

Users who are viewing this thread