Back to stock ride height

damnson

Established Member
1- I’m not toooooo mechanically knowledgeable
When I bought my convertible 04 cobra, it had cut springs and scraped way too often. I want to return it back to normal ride height so I’m going to buy some bilstein shocks but I can’t find any non lowering springs. Every spring I look up lowers the car atleast 1-1.5 inches. Anyone know of any springs that’ll keep it stock or lower it less than 1 inch.
Thanks.

Edit: open to some coilovers as well. Anything that’ll keep the ride height near factory. I was originally gonna get kw coilovers until I saw they lower the height by 1.5 inches.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
springs aren't so much of a wear item so OE height springs might be hard to come by new, might have better luck posting a want to buy thread in the marketplace. Someone might have stock take offs they would sell. Only other thing I could think is maaaaaaybe rockauto would have a stock replacement.

damnson

Established Member
When I bought my convertible 04 cobra, it had cut springs and scraped way too often. I want to return it back to normal ride height so I’m going to buy some bilstein shocks but I can’t find any non lowering springs. Every spring I look up lowers the car atleast 1-1.5 inches. Anyone know of any springs that’ll keep it stock or lower it less than 1 inch.
Thanks.
How fast are you wanting new springs?
Not in a rush.

LS WUT

Established Member
Not in a rush.
I asked because I’ll be taking my stock springs out here eventually.. after I just finished my black coupe the throw out bearing and such left the chat…. So now it’s gonna be back in the air. So I’m gonna do the springs and such while I have the exhaust and such off.

fitforspeed

Established Member
Thanks.

Edit: open to some coilovers as well. Anything that’ll keep the ride height near factory. I was originally gonna get kw coilovers until I saw they lower the height by 1.5 inches.

I think H&R has a spring that is not too low. Race version I believe it is. Where are you finding that the car is scraping mostly? The verts have a brace under the front that attaches to the kmember which I found to scrape under much speed with a good dip in the road. Mid pipe will scrape usually on anything more that low speed bumps/speed tables. Sometimes the exhaust can be loosened, pushed up and tightened, and that may help give a little additional clearance in that area. The verts also have a softer spring rate from the factory. Hard top factory springs are a little firmer.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
You said the springs on the car are cut? They won't work like a spring made lower, so a lowering spring might not scrap like your current cut springs do. 1" drop isn't that much.

damnson

Established Member
I think H&R has a spring that is not too low. Race version I believe it is. Where are you finding that the car is scraping mostly? The verts have a brace under the front that attaches to the kmember which I found to scrape under much speed with a good dip in the road. Mid pipe will scrape usually on anything more that low speed bumps/speed tables. Sometimes the exhaust can be loosened, pushed up and tightened, and that may help give a little additional clearance in that area. The verts also have a softer spring rate from the factory. Hard top factory springs are a little firmer.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Scraping in pretty much all speed bumps. The kind that are about 1-2 across and have a high crest. Not those long ones. I’m kinda afraid that I might scrape if I’m going fast and there’s a dip in the road.

damnson

Established Member
You said the springs on the car are cut? They won't work like a spring made lower, so a lowering spring might not scrap like your current cut springs do. 1" drop isn't that much.
That’s good to know. If I can’t find oem height springs at all, then I’ll probably get that. I just want to avoid having it lowered at all cause it’s so stressful . I can’t take it anywhere I haven’t been before because there’s most likely speed bumps there. And god forbid I take it on a drive and they’re a rebuilding road.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
In my opinion a 1" drop is still "streetable" and looks better than stock. Stock ride height is to high and you lose the aggressive appearance. Ride height is everything! Look for something like the Eibach Pro Kit spring, the Eibach Sportline is going to be lower. Sportline will look cooler but ride firmer and have more clearance issues.

fitforspeed

Established Member
Scraping in pretty much all speed bumps. The kind that are about 1-2 across and have a high crest. Not those long ones. I’m kinda afraid that I might scrape if I’m going fast and there’s a dip in the road.

You can adjust the exhaust pretty easily by yourself if you feel comfortable trying. It’s only 4 bolts/nuts to loosen where The mid pipe connects to the rear exhaust and 4 nuts where the mid pipe bolts to the exhaust manifolds. Simply loosen the bolts/nuts and use a Jack on the cross section of the mid pipe to raise until the exhaust is close to touching the trans mount area. Then retighten all bolts/nuts before you lower and remove the Jack. This should gain you some precious clearance for the exhaust to ground. Just a little extra clearance can make a big difference.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I usually measure at the wheel arch. Post some numbers and we can tell you how much of a drop you have.

For springs I'm a fan of H&R Race. They rode decent and didn't lower the car too much.

damnson

Established Member
I usually measure at the wheel arch. Post some numbers and we can tell you how much of a drop you have.

For springs I'm a fan of H&R Race. They rode decent and didn't lower the car too much.
Will do in a few hours. Thanks.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Will do in a few hours. Thanks.
Also, You can add Poly Spring Isolators that will raise the car up 1/2" or so. These can be used even with lowering springs, so I would look into a set of these too. They are like $50 at Maximum Motorsports.

damnson

Established Member
Also, You can add Poly Spring Isolators that will raise the car up 1/2" or so. These can be used even with lowering springs, so I would look into a set of these too. They are like $50 at Maximum Motorsports.
From what you know, would they negatively affect handling at all?

Users who are viewing this thread