bad coil mixed with aftermarket HELP!!

svt_cobra01

Established Member
i have a misfire in cylinder 5 its bad, its a bad coil i noticed my car has oem ones mixed with aftermarket ones how bad is that? how does that effect the car? im broke i cant buy a compete set atm to match them even though oreillys has it for $250 if i buy just 1 to wing it till i get cash will it be fine, im sort of a newbie any knolegable fellows please help me. the car is very hesistant around 1800-2100 definelty not running how a cobra should on all 8

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It won't kill the engine if you just get one. If you end up getting a full set later you'll have a spare for troubleshooting.

svt_cobra01

Established Member
ok thx i found a set on amazon which is the ford racing ones for $127 on amazon. i threw a code for this issue, if i go over 3k rpms the check light flashes, but stops once i drive normally under 3 grand with slight hesistation, this weekend i plan to replace all spark plugs and coils if i do so will i need to get my check engine light reset or should it turn off automatically once my baby has the proper spark to all 8 cylinders?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The code is probably saved. I think if you disconnect the battery for a bit it'll clear. You can clear it if you have a hand held tuner too.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The code is probably saved. I think if you disconnect the battery for a bit it'll clear. You can clear it if you have a hand held tuner too.

this

the flashing check engine light usually means the misfire is severe enough that it can be causing damage to the emissions equipment (ie the catalytic converters) so be easy on it

Users who are viewing this thread