bad cooling fan caused misfire

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I've had a mis-fire anywhere from 1/2 to full throttle.. I was thinking it was anything from bad injectors to plugs etc..

anyhow, my cooling fan crapped out on me today, so I unplugged it (it sounded like an old washing machine on it's last legs) and WOW, my car is back to full power.. My guess is, the fan (which has been going out for awhile aparently) was drawing to much current and the coil packs weren't getting enough amperage. I have a volt gauge, and it's always had plenty of voltage, but that doesn't tell me anything about the amperage load...

(going to need to get a new one from Tousley ford I'm thinking)

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
update.. there were 2 issues with my cooling fan.. #1 the electric motor was very hard to turn, and had a huge drag on it (guessing that the bearings in it are bad) and #2 the brace that goes around the blades broke, and it was rubbing against the shrould..

I went to a recycling yard and wanted to see if they had any 01-04 GT/Mach1/Cobra cooling fans (they are all the same) but the newest they had was a 2000 GT (different motor and it doesn't have the sensor that's in the newer cars)

The guy said lets try something, he brought out a cooling fan assembly from a 2002 Lincoln Towncar.. hmmm same fan, same electrical connectors just longer wires (about 3" longer on one of them) but different shroud.

I bought the Lincoln assembly, took it apart, installed the motor and fan in my car's fan shroud and bolted it back in my Cobra.. it works like a champ, WHOOO!! I'm back on the road for 62 dollars, instead of almost 300 dollars if I had to buy a new cooling fan assembly..

That's awesome right there! $62 cooling fan fix FTW. :rockon: The current prices on these fans will make a grown man cry. :cryying:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Dorman is a Remanufacturing company, The OEM fan was made by Bosch. In fact it will still most likely be a Bosch fan just refubishised.

use seach..someone already laid them down side by side to compare...

i went with autozone..motorcraft part 200 bucks than 2weeks later i learned of this on svt..

Users who are viewing this thread