Bad Karma Saturday night racing

1raresnake

Established Member
Hope you win brotha! Got my vote!:beer:

Btw, did you ever figure out why it let go?

Last edited:

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
If you don't mind saying, what is your rear gear and rear suspension setup?

I run Ford Motorsport 4:10 gears that I had Nickel Boron coated, I love them. Had 3:73's and then 3:27's, then went with 4:10's and stayed there! The 4:10's made the car more enjoyable to drive around town. Especially when your not in boost. I have over drive on 28's so highway is no problem. I turn the engine pretty high so I can make it through the traps no problem with 4:10's. My car is 4000lbs with me in it and it's a little 282cid engine so the 4:10's really helped get this thing moving quicker! Overall big improvement. I wouldn't go any less than a 3:73. By the way it's an 8.8" SRA.

Front suspention;

QA1 k-member, Maximum Motorsports A-arms and caster/camber plates, AFCO double adjustable struts, AFCO 275lb springs.

Rear suspention;

Maximum Motorsports drag lower control arms, HD rear sway bar, pan hard bar, HD torque arm, 2.5" coil spring perches, HD sub frame connectors. UPR axles braces, AFCO double adjustable shocks, Eibach springs, custom torque boxes.

I think that's about it, but I do have plans to add Stifflers web bracing and transmission crossmember when I can get this thing on a lift.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Hmm 4.10's with a 1000rwhp sounds fun.. I just put 3.73's in my car but I'll be rolling around on a 26" tire so it should be close to the same gearing.

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
I really love the combination, I think it's working very well. I really don't want to change anything but I may go to a 6R80 only because I don't see this 4R70W holding up to much more abuse. I think the 6 speed may be an improvement. I think it will get this heavy car moving quicker. I may have to work on power management in the lower gears, we will see. I'm planning to run 36-38psi on the fresh engine. I should be back up and running soon! Should be bad ass can't wait!

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
I definitely prefer a 28" tire. Easier to put big power down, also mph better. I run M&H 325/45 R17 drag radials, I love them! I may start running some 29x10 Hoosiers for street racing so I can leave harder on more boost and bring the boost in quicker as well.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I really love the combination, I think it's working very well. I really don't want to change anything but I may go to a 6R80 only because I don't see this 4R70W holding up to much more abuse. I think the 6 speed may be an improvement. I think it will get this heavy car moving quicker. I may have to work on power management in the lower gears, we will see. I'm planning to run 36-38psi on the fresh engine. I should be back up and running soon! Should be bad ass can't wait!

I definitely prefer a 28" tire. Easier to put big power down, also mph better. I run M&H 325/45 R17 drag radials, I love them! I may start running some 29x10 Hoosiers for street racing so I can leave harder on more boost and bring the boost in quicker as well.

Do they make a way to put a 6R80 behind a teksid? I'm running Holley's new Dominator setup. And I've thought a lot about going auto but only if it's the 6R80.. My car should be making in the 1000rwhp range with the JT-trim. I won't be able to spin as high as you since I have 04 Cobra heads. I can't compete with the B-heads, But it'll be up in the 7800rpm range.. Not 8500-9k range like yours..

But my car weighs 3100 not 4k.. :/

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
As far as I know the 6R80 will bolt right up! US shift is working on a controller, I'm hoping to get one soon. I'm sure your car is going to haul ass these engines are awesome. I'm sure the weight hurts me but it could be helping some too because this car drives so awesome and puts the power down really well. With 900lb less traction may be a problem! My old notch made 895rwhp and weighed 3050lbs with me in it, and it was pretty crazy even with a glide.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea they do bolt right up, it's just controlling it is the issue. I don't think that even the stand alone's can control it. But it would be sweet if they made a controller for it finally. Yea it probably does help, but I assume you have traction control with the MOTEC setup right?

69mach428

Established Member
I run Ford Motorsport 4:10 gears that I had Nickel Boron coated, I love them. Had 3:73's and then 3:27's, then went with 4:10's and stayed there! The 4:10's made the car more enjoyable to drive around town. Especially when your not in boost. I have over drive on 28's so highway is no problem. I turn the engine pretty high so I can make it through the traps no problem with 4:10's. My car is 4000lbs with me in it and it's a little 282cid engine so the 4:10's really helped get this thing moving quicker! Overall big improvement. I wouldn't go any less than a 3:73. By the way it's an 8.8" SRA.

Front suspention;

QA1 k-member, Maximum Motorsports A-arms and caster/camber plates, AFCO double adjustable struts, AFCO 275lb springs.

Rear suspention;

Maximum Motorsports drag lower control arms, HD rear sway bar, pan hard bar, HD torque arm, 2.5" coil spring perches, HD sub frame connectors. UPR axles braces, AFCO double adjustable shocks, Eibach springs, custom torque boxes.

I think that's about it, but I do have plans to add Stifflers web bracing and transmission crossmember when I can get this thing on a lift.

Good deal, thanks for the info. I have a somewhat similar setup with twin 62/66 and a 4r70w. Right now I have a 3.73 gear, just switched to a PTC converter as well. I need to upgrade my rear shocks, car came with lakewood on it. Can't believe you get it to hook so well with 17's.

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
Hopefully US shift will have the controller ready soon. I think they are close..

I don't think any of the stand alones can control it (yet), the MoTeC might be able to using different functions but I'm not sure. I've got speed based boost control with the MoTeC and it's freakin amazing!! I can literally hook on any road with the 17" drag radials.

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
Good deal, thanks for the info. I have a somewhat similar setup with twin 62/66 and a 4r70w. Right now I have a 3.73 gear, just switched to a PTC converter as well. I need to upgrade my rear shocks, car came with lakewood on it. Can't believe you get it to hook so well with 17's.

I may upgrade to 62/66 or 64/66 one day but I've been pretty happy with these ball bearing CEA 62/62's. They come on quick and seem to make great power.

I'm surprised my 4R70W has held up as well as it has! My PTC stalls around 4500 and it's a hair tight, I'd like to loosen it 500 RPM so I can build a little more boost on the line.

There's been some guys who have hauled ass on Lakewoods, they are decent for what they are. Much better stuff out now a days..

I love these M&H's, truly an awesome tire. They even have great traction when they are completely wore out! These 17's are 28" tall so they still have a decent amount of side wall. A 15" is even better but these aren't to bad.

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
Here's a video of the speed based boost control in action. This was actually the worst pass that night but the only one that got recorded. Not a great video either but it does a good job showing it work. It's hard to explain how it feels when it's happening but it just feels weird. It's almost like it's holding you back yet allowing you to go even faster at the same time. Like I said it's weird and hard to explain. It took me a few passes to get the feel for it. Took me about 18 hours to get it dialed in, but man this shit is so awesome. The way it works is like this, boost is based off of wheel speed. You can tell it how much boost you want for any given MPH. You can scale the MPH however you want from 0 MPH up to what ever and in any increments. I use closer MPH increments down low so the resolution is higher where you really need it and then at higher MPH I spread it out. Here's an example, say you tell it 10psi at 15mph, then 15psi at 20mph, then 20psi at 25mph, and so on. So your at 15mph and 10psi it's hooked and going, mph goes up to 20 and now your at 15psi still hooked and going all is well, now you reach 25mph with 20psi and it starts to loose traction, when then happens your MPH falls off and now your back to your previous MPH and boost level where you did have traction. If you regain traction and the MPH goes up the boost will come up with it. But it does all this instantly, it raises and lowers the boost and you don't even know it's happening. Amazing technology, it works so awesome. This feature is actually standard in my MoTeC. I just had to mount a wheel speed sensor and wire it in. Then scale the map and tune it. I used the factory front ABS ring as my trigger wheel and it worked perfect. For guys that don't have a MoTeC you can get these same features from a HyperKontrol boost controller. It's speed based, it is expensive ($1500) but man what is it worth to be able to hook on any road? You may also be able to get speed based boost control in one of the AMS's but I'm not sure. I know you can with the HyperKontrol and it's an awesome controller. That's what all the turbo cars on street outlaws run. Every turbo ProMod also runs one, it's the only NHRA legal controller, they have a special box and the boost is locked out. Anyways speed based boost control really is awesome and I think it's well worth the investment.

http://youtu.be/PtmBkJJnUIw

Users who are viewing this thread