Bad starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TripleBlack

FIFAchamp
Established Member
So for the last week I've been having trouble starting my car. When I turn the key before the car starts all the lights come on like normal and the stereo turns on fine, but then when I turn the key the entire way nothing happens.

I'll usually turn the key back and forth slowly from the off position a few times but don't hear any clicks or grinding. Maybe on a turn or two I'll hear a faint click but on the rest nothing happens. Then after a few tries the car starts right up like normal (it doesn't even crank slowly) and runs fine. On some occasions I'll turn it off again quickly and it will start up again like normal. Yet on other occasions it won't start back up at all and have to turn the key back and forth a few times before it starts up again.

I checked my battery with the car on and off and it reads fine. Even in the morning it's hit or miss. Sometimes it'll start on the first try, and sometimes I'll have to turn the key a few times to get it to start.

Does this sound like a bad starter or do I have a ground problem like the OP in this thread did??

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...starter-engages-but-doesnt-spin-flywheel.html

Thanks for any help you can give me Svtp! :beer:

Hockeyman48

Established Member
next time it does nothing ,connect battery jumper cable from battery negative to engine block and see if this allows it to crank.If it does it is probably ground issue to engine.You could also try the cable to a starter bolt underneath to eliminate a ground issue with starter mated to block(dirty/corroded).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread