• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

ball joints?

Discussion in '2nd Generation' started by 00SVTlightning, Apr 4, 2006.

1. 00SVTlightning

00SVTlightning F8LSTRKE Established Member

I did a search and didnt find much.

I've heard the f-150 has horrible ball joints and they will need replaced every 10K miles or so. What are your opinions? Can just the ball joint be replaced? I've read that the ball joint and control arm is one peice.

2. herb101

herb101 Dis-Member-ed Established Member

Lowers can definately be replaced. I seem to recall that the uppers are integral with the control arms and need to be replaced as a unit. I cannot confirm that though. I have heard of BJ issues as well (worsened by our wide tires) One of the biggest culprits is the lack of grease fittings to maintain lubrication. I've done a couple sets on F150's so far (~80K and ~120K), but not on my L yet (38K miles).

It's easy to do with the C-clamp style press and the lower control arm can stay on the truck for it - just pull the spindle.

Herb

3. FordFanStan

FordFanStan New Member Established Member

Haha haha you said BJ issues Herb... I think I need to quit drinking haha... Stan

4. herb101

herb101 Dis-Member-ed Established Member

LOL - just consider it an easter egg!

I figured someone would call me out on that

Herb

5. Twisted99

Twisted99 New Member Established Member

I just replaced my lowers...they needed it at 124000 and probably before...I priced the uppers at the local Ford dealership...they were in stock and 98 bucks per side...ball joints installed in the arm. Standard F-150 parts.

6. SVTinVA

SVTinVA New Member Established Member

i would recommend getting moog parts, as they come with greasable fittings. I believe thru napa, moog upper control arms are about 65 a piece. I ordered both UCAs, idler arm, and pittman arm all at once.