Barton Short Throw

Aschenbrenerm

So.. it's been about 7 months since I've had my Barton installed. I'm still getting a clunking or better described as a popping / knocking noise whenever I go over bumps at any moderate speed. Obviously not ideal to go over said bumps, but unavoidable at times. I can actually feel the knock under the plate where my shifter is. I've been under the car about a half dozen times trying to figure it out.

Any ideas?
20200301_131650.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
You wouldn't be the first to have installed the transmission cross member upside down either. Not saying that's your issue, but if you left the transmission mount on the transmission, it's an easy mistake to make.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Let us know in this thread how you make out. Helps others with a similar issue, down the road.

How do you like the Barton shifter?

Aschenbrenerm

The shifter itself is awesome. Significantly shorter thrown than the factory. Only issue is this noise / clunk.

One problem I had was one of the return springs were turned sideways from the factory. Fixed that a few months ago but the problem noise still didn't go away

Been trying to get a hold of Barton but no luck.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
The shifter itself is awesome. Significantly shorter thrown than the factory. ......

Interesting that you like it. U R right, the throw is shorter. I drove a supercharged 2012 GT with a Barton and I absolutely detested that shifter. I've been banging gears for ~50 years and driven many, many stick shift muscle cars and that Barton was the WORST shifting experience EVER, beyond any doubt. I suppose there is always a chance it was not installed correctly.... whatever.

Anyway, good luck with yours and I hope you find your problem. I totally concur with @enormous about checking every nut and bolt touched during installation.

-

HKusp

Established Member
The shifter itself is awesome. Significantly shorter thrown than the factory. Only issue is this noise / clunk.

One problem I had was one of the return springs were turned sideways from the factory. Fixed that a few months ago but the problem noise still didn't go away

Been trying to get a hold of Barton but no luck.

I had a Barton Gen1 in my car and recently replaced it with an MGW Gen 1 and they are very similar. The reason I replaced it was I was on a time crunch to get it done and the Barton had an issue where I believe a bushing was worn out because I had a lot of side to side play in it. Because I know they carry Barton, I contacted American Muscle to see if they could get me contact info and they did. I called them and spoke with with Tanya, pronounced Tan (like the color) Ya. I explained to her what was going on and asked if they would take it in and refurbish my shifter. She explained that they don't do that but if I emailed Dave about the issue, he would get me all new bushings. I did and he dropped me new leg and linkage bushings in the mail. Very nice people and was an easy process. I haven't messed with fixing it just yet, but with all this extra time on my hands now with the pandemic, I may venture into it this week.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had a Barton Gen1 in my car and recently replaced it with an MGW Gen 1 and they are very similar. The reason I replaced it was I was on a time crunch to get it done and the Barton had an issue where I believe a bushing was worn out because I had a lot of side to side play in it. Because I know they carry Barton, I contacted American Muscle to see if they could get me contact info and they did. I called them and spoke with with Tanya, pronounced Tan (like the color) Ya. I explained to her what was going on and asked if they would take it in and refurbish my shifter. She explained that they don't do that but if I emailed Dave about the issue, he would get me all new bushings. I did and he dropped me new leg and linkage bushings in the mail. Very nice people and was an easy process. I haven't messed with fixing it just yet, but with all this extra time on my hands now with the pandemic, I may venture into it this week.
Always nice to hear about good customer service! Nice that Barton sent you a new leg and linkage bushings, no questions asked.
upload_2020-4-8_10-2-20.png

Users who are viewing this thread