Bassani Headers/Mid Pipe Install question

scho1186

Established Member
I am taking my 2001 Cobra to a shop to do the full system exhaust. I just don't have the tools, or the resources, lift, jackstands etc. I have borla catback, bassani o/r x pipe, and bassani mid lengths. I was told by one shop that they have to drop the k member when it says in the directions you can reach it. Do you really have to drop that? Was also told that I would need some kind of wires, called splicers, to trick the car into thinking it was still running O2 sensors. New to Cobras, and could use some advice. Is this guy just trying to up the hours on install, or do you really have to drop the "cradle" as he called it, and get those wires?
Thanks for the help

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
Much easier to drop the k-member to install them. You'll need MIL eliminators if you're taking the cats off, and you might need 02 extension harnesses for the front 02's if the stock wires won't stretch far enough.

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
For long-tubes and even for most shorty headers, it is much easier to drop the K member. Bassani's mid-length headers are designed differently and are supposed to be the easiest headers to install (see here) and "can" be installed without dropping the K-member due to their individual primary design. (Each primary tube can be wiggled into place between the K-member and the engine, rather than trying to fit the whole one-piece design like most other headers.)

Mach0ne351

Established Member
computerdeath.gif

HAHA that sig image is siiiiick!

SVECobraR

Established Member
He's probably saving you money buy cutting down the hours on the install like that. Trust me its a lot easier, but still a lengthy procedure.

Impact 5.0

Established Member
Shoot man if he drops the K member go get an after market one like the MM to replace it, save you time and money later.

Let us know if you need the o2 extensions for the front sensors, I am also looking at doing the bassani mids.

Last edited:

scho1186

Established Member
9Venom9 said:
Shoot man if he drops the K member go get an after market one like the MM to replace it, save you time and money later.

Let us know if you need the o2 extensions for the front sensors, I am also looking at doing the bassani mids.
Maybe in the summer, he charged me 500 with parts and labor. Not bad considering it was around 7-8 hours. It was the best price around here and he will be doing the dyno tune on sunday with my SCT Xcal2. The car sounds very deep, but a little raspy when accelerating hard. No o2 extensions are needed, I will post pics and video once the dyno tune is complete. thanks for the help guys

Impact 5.0

Established Member
Thanks for the info, would like to see what you gained from stock. I just wounder what kind of gain you would get with a blown application compared to stock.

Users who are viewing this thread