Battery Kill/Shut Off Switch after trunk relocation

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Hey Everyone,

I have been researching doing a battery relocation to the trunk out of practical necessity. Thanks to some older posts from users on SVT, I see that the primary reason that people shy away from doing this is because of the fact that you have to drill into the back of the car. I haven't really ran across many posts from people who have actually gone ahead with installing the battery shut off switch to the rear of the car after the relocation process.

Has anyone actually done the relocation and switch? If so, I would love to hear your thoughts about the install, both positive and negative. If you have a picture of your car with the switch to share, that would be excellent.

Thanks!

rodfarva

Established Member
See my build thread...it actually ended up being a substantial amount of work including running new battery cable, installing new terminal ends, mounting the master cutoff switch and drilling the hole for the pushrod, and wiring it correctly so that the alternator is also cutoff by the switch so that the car doesn't keep running.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...de-my-radical-twin-turbo-build-pic-heavy.html

Blackmax

Established Member
I just bought a small battery for a hundred bucks. It saves me about 20 lbs and way easier. I suppose if I did the relocate the fake gas cap would be the spot to have the switch. I guess you could have it removable and attach another one with velcro.

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Battery Relocation

I have followed your build thread with interest rodfarva. I just checked it out again and see that you have updated it with some more pics. Do you happen to have any pictures of the way the switch appears from a bit further away? Would love to see them if you do!

See my build thread...it actually ended up being a substantial amount of work including running new battery cable, installing new terminal ends, mounting the master cutoff switch and drilling the hole for the pushrod, and wiring it correctly so that the alternator is also cutoff by the switch so that the car doesn't keep running.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...de-my-radical-twin-turbo-build-pic-heavy.html

rodfarva

Established Member
Here is one. It is actually very subtle.

100_1666.jpg

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Thanks for sharing the pic rodfarva! That is very subtle indeed - blends right in with your black car. The location would kind of stick out on my red car though. After talking to a board member tonight, were one to install the switch, I was thinking that a good spot would be near the license plate.

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
Installed mine below the rear valance panel. Made a custom bracket to hold cut off switch, the handle screws off when not in use. I use blue painters tape with PUSH OFF written with a sharpie while I'm racing, unscrew the handle, peel off the tape, and head home. You can't see it in this picture but I also have two brackets welded in that hold a reciever hitch for hauling a trailer with all my gear for racing.....works pretty slick....even hauled a tent,bbq and enough stuff for a couple 3 day trips to Seattle and Bremerton.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Users who are viewing this thread