Battery not holding a charge???

Fresh Cobra

505 RWHP Blvd Pimp
Established Member
MY Cobra has been down for well over a week now. It started last Wednesday a week ago with a dead battery. I jump started it and drove it a little and it went dead again. I jump started it again yesterday and drove it a little and came out 2 hrs later and it was dead again. Not sure what is going on as I haven't added anything new in a few weeks. Before it died the 1st time it sat for like 6 days witout being driven. I'm wondering if my 8lb lower pulley is a cause of something burning out. Not sure really but I remember someone saying if you use a lower pulley it cause the Alt to die. Any advise or info is greatly appreciated!!! I'm going to jump it again and drive it the 80 miles down to San Diego (one way) and back again to see if it'll hold a charge. Wish me luck!

~ Fresh :burnout:

akaeric

Established Member
Take it to someone who can do a computer check to see if you have a parts problem if not then its your battery. If you have a heavy amp installed make sure its not wired stait to your battery and it turns off with the switch they can destroy a stock battery my phone charger will kill my battery over a couple of days even when the phone isn't charging.

orange2004cobra

Established Member
True..
My radar detector will kill mine in 3 days with no driving..
Time for an optima in the rear..
L.

Fresh Cobra

505 RWHP Blvd Pimp
Established Member
Hmmmmmmmmmm I did have the Mustang Air Freshiner pluged in during the week or so it wasn't driven. I'm just going to try and drive it for an hour or so and see if the Batt charges up.

~ Fresh :burnout:

sam

Established Member
the stock battery is not all that great. got my car around memorial day 2003. by the time cool weather kicked in i notice the the cold slowed down the cranking speed of the motor. replaced the battery with a red top optima, and the cranking speed was much better. i also forgot to turn my autometer tach light off for a whole day, i still could crank the engine and by the next day, the battery took a complete charge again. the stock battery would have never survived this. good luck.

maoun

Established Member
your cell phone charger draws zero current when your phone is plugged in....as you're not completing the circuit

i'm confused as to how that draws your battery???

BLK_03

Established Member
Your lower pulley is probably overspinning your alternator... Someone makes a pulley for the alt. to compensate and keep your alt. living long.

Fresh Cobra

505 RWHP Blvd Pimp
Established Member
I drove it down to San Dog today around 180 mile round trip and it's holding a charge. We'll see if it cranks over in the am. Wish me luck...lol

~ Fresh :beer:

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
You did put on the differnt alt pulley with the 8lb lower right? They say its a given it will damage the alt in time.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Alternator. Drive it at night with the headlights and radio on and see if the car holds a charge. If the lights look dim at all, you probably need an alternator. Another way to check it is to remove the positive battery cable while the car is running. If the car shuts off, you need a new alternator.

Users who are viewing this thread