battery problems

Slow 99

Nothing to see here
Established Member
When I bought my 99 gt, it came with a tuffstuff performance 225 amp alternator with the stock grounding wire and didn't really think much of it until about a month after owning it. I would drive it everyday to school and back going through the rpms like normal with the occasional wot pull, but if I left it for a week and tried to start it, it refused. So I thought I had a bad battery and bought a new one. 2 weeks after buying another one it died again so I jump started it and tried to drive it and I was unable to go 10 feet at a time without the car turning off and then on again while moving which created a boost cut feeling which was scary to drive on the road with and would happen if more than 10% of throttle was applied. I pulled the battery out and plugged it into the trickle charger to find out that it had no current and was completely dead. And that same situation happened again at my school parking lot 3 weeks later and would drive for 10 feet and then die and start back up and repeat for however long you drove it for. From my understanding, the car (once started) can run on just the alternator's power without the battery so if the car was dying while driving doesn't that mean my alternator is bad and my car was trying to run off of the battery, but since the alternator fried the 1st, 2nd and 3rd battery, it would just turn off and then bump start itself alive again? please let me know your thoughts cause at this point, any advice is helpful.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Clean and check all the Alternator, battery and ground connections before you fire the parts cannon at it. Is there a draw on the battery? A multimeter will tell you pretty quickly. If you don’t have the equipment, take it and have the alternator load tested. Sounds like it should be a reasonably easy fix but with electrical issues it’s either 10 minutes or 10 hours, you never know till you find the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread