Battery Time...

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
I’ve had this Optima charger/maintainer for a few years now and love it for the Shelby, f350 diesel and optima bluetop I use in my race trailer.

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
Find a battery with the best warranty WITHOUT a receipt. I lose receipts. I prefer interstate from like autozone or advance.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Ford OEM replacement, 96R, $129.95 + Tax, in stock.

^^^^^Yep, 100 month prorated warranty, fits the battery tray correctly, looks right at home (doesn't stick out as being replaced), and stick the receipt in the glove box for if/when warranty time comes.

R

merkyworks

Established Member
Ford OEM replacement, 96R, $129.95 + Tax, in stock.

This is what I went with.

I wanted to get some sort of lightweight race battery (AGM or lithium polymer) but after researching the best tried and true option for the price was the Ford 96R battery.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
This is what I went with.

I wanted to get some sort of lightweight race battery (AGM or lithium polymer) but after researching the best tried and true option for the price was the Ford 96R battery.

There may be others out there, but I have not found them yet.......the battery companies with a 100 month warranty. Most likely, especially if you live in a southern/hot state, you will not get 100 months out of your battery. So if the battery only lasts 60, 72, 84 months, why not get a little bit of $$ prorate discount toward the new warranty replacement battery, and it will be another 100 month. <<But with that battery the prorate will be different since it is a warranty replacement.

Also, for those who are not aware, the original Ford Assy. Line Motorcraft 96R battery back in the earlier days 2007, 2008, 2009? was 500CCA. Ford has increase the 96R, I think it is now closer to 550CCA?

R

5.8 Venom

Established Member
There may be others out there, but I have not found them yet.......the battery companies with a 100 month warranty. Most likely, especially if you live in a southern/hot state, you will not get 100 months out of your battery. So if the battery only lasts 60, 72, 84 months, why not get a little bit of $$ prorate discount toward the new warranty replacement battery, and it will be another 100 month. <<But with that battery the prorate will be different since it is a warranty replacement.

Also, for those who are not aware, the original Ford Assy. Line Motorcraft 96R battery back in the earlier days 2007, 2008, 2009? was 500CCA. Ford has increase the 96R, I think it is now closer to 550CCA?

R

Yea the heat I am sure is what cut the life on mine to 3 years, almost exactly. I also had some corrosion on the + terminal and the heat and corrosion ate up the battery blanket, so I had to replace that as well.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Well, took the battery tender off to take her out of hibernation and it read 1.74 volts on the multimeter. Put it on the charger and it's up to ~9 volts an hour or so later. Looks like it's time for a new battery to replace the original. Assume an OEM replacement is the best bet? Best place to get then would be the local Ford dealer and not O'reilly's, Advanced Auto, etc? Was looking forward to finally taking her out of winter storage, but I knew it was sooner than later with the original battery. TIA.

Kel
I went OEM. I wanted to keep everything original looking. OEM battery is fairly light weight.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Yea the heat I am sure is what cut the life on mine to 3 years, almost exactly. I also had some corrosion on the + terminal and the heat and corrosion ate up the battery blanket, so I had to replace that as well.

That is another thing that is over looked, the heat insulator blanket. Many of the aftermarket batteries are not the same size as the oem, the heat blanket is made to fit the oem size battery, in fact it fits tightly. Ford did not spend R&R time and money and add a battery heat insulator blanket on these cars for nothing, it is there for a purpose, to help shield hot engine/exhaust manifold heat from the battery plastic case, so not re-installing the blanket will not help for a long life battery.

The battery blanket is not there to keep the battery warm in the winter.

R

BAS

Established Member
Popped into the forum and I’m going through the same decision process!! 6yo battery and it’s pretty much done

In my research I found a company that does Lion batteries - specifically the Antigravity battery. This battery is around 6lbs versus the 30lbs bruiser that’s in the car from factory. Yes, it’s expensive - around $400-$500. But as a weight saving upgrade much cheaper than a new hood or other method to save front end weight

Cranking amps higher than stock too

Our cars are heavy and I reckon the option to reduce weight and replace the battery at the same time is good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BAS

Established Member
Antigravity - other forum debate

I’m not an ambassador of antigravity - genuinely just looking into this as an option for my car. It seems to be pretty new tech. The guys on the 6G forum are looking deep into it but with the battery management systems on the S550 they’re running into a few challenges

Looks like a good option for the S197 though with very little downside - if any. Loads of tech info here

Just ordered Antigravity ATX-30 Lithium Battery

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
That is another thing that is over looked, the heat insulator blanket. Many of the aftermarket batteries are not the same size as the oem, the heat blanket is made to fit the oem size battery, in fact it fits tightly. Ford did not spend R&R time and money and add a battery heat insulator blanket on these cars for nothing, it is there for a purpose, to help shield hot engine/exhaust manifold heat from the battery plastic case, so not re-installing the blanket will not help for a long life battery.

The battery blanket is not there to keep the battery warm in the winter.

R

The battery blanket in mine is falling apart. So it wont be there much longer.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

R

The CCA on the factory gt500 battery should be 590CCA

merkyworks

Established Member
Antigravity - other forum debate

I’m not an ambassador of antigravity - genuinely just looking into this as an option for my car. It seems to be pretty new tech. The guys on the 6G forum are looking deep into it but with the battery management systems on the S550 they’re running into a few challenges

Looks like a good option for the S197 though with very little downside - if any. Loads of tech info here

Just ordered Antigravity ATX-30 Lithium Battery

I remember this thread, basically the "restart" technology isn't compatible with how Ford charges the battery. You can run there battery without any issue as long as its the standard unit and not the restart style.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Popped into the forum and I’m going through the same decision process!! 6yo battery and it’s pretty much done

In my research I found a company that does Lion batteries - specifically the Antigravity battery. This battery is around 6lbs versus the 30lbs bruiser that’s in the car from factory. Yes, it’s expensive - around $400-$500. But as a weight saving upgrade much cheaper than a new hood or other method to save front end weight

Cranking amps higher than stock too

Our cars are heavy and I reckon the option to reduce weight and replace the battery at the same time is good

What is the warranty on the Lions battery? For that kind of money it would take many years to equal $125 spent for a 100 month prorated Motorcraft battery.

I do agree that the weight savings is good, but if you have to buy it over and over (as is the case with a battery in a cars life), at that kind of cost..............Not such a great way to save weight.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The CCA on the factory gt500 battery should be 590CCA

It may be now, I don't remember what the CCA were on my replacement Motorcraft? Shown below is what was installed on the Assy. Line for a 2008 Motorcraft GT500 battery....

Same part number as is currently sold for my car, but only 500 CCA.
002.jpg

R

BAS

Established Member
I was looking at the ATX-30 and the YTX12-24. The CCA is 800+ and the warranty is 3 years

BAS

Established Member
What is the warranty on the Lions battery? For that kind of money it would take many years to equal $125 spent for a 100 month prorated Motorcraft battery.

I do agree that the weight savings is good, but if you have to buy it over and over (as is the case with a battery in a cars life), at that kind of cost..............Not such a great way to save weight.

R

So I agree with your point in part. A new lightweight hood would not have the weight savings but would cost a few thousand dollars to upgrade. We spend more for less in other areas for performance increases

I’m thinking 10kg/ 25lb weight off the front end would make a significant difference in inertia when cornering etc. better on tyres, fuel and fun!

Also, the weight balance would be better on the car too/ easer than relocating the battery to the trunk and possibly help with corner weighting the car

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The battery blanket in mine is falling apart. So it wont be there much longer.

The original blanket in my 14 started falling apart after about 3 years. It was a piece of junk and was disposed.

Tom

I took the original heat shield blanket out of my 2008 about 5 years ago and stored it away, it was in perfect condition. I had my Ford parts friend order me a new replacement, I noticed the original from my 2008 was a little bit different from the replacement, so I put the replacement on my battery and stored my original away in the plastic from the replacement.

I have watched these cars for wayyyyy too long, I know that if something is found to not be needed in automobile production, it gets deleted.........bean counters at work. And if it is there, it is there for a reason, no matter how quickly it deteriorates (Ford is also in the replacement parts selling business). <<This was also the case wayyyy back in 1971, I noticed small inexpensive changes between the 3 1971 429 Mach 1's that I owned at the same time and could do stare and compares. Un-needed items get deleted or cheaper/less expensive items to do the same thing would get added. I also noticed that with most all of the big block cars in a smaller body/engine compartment, they got heat shields (plastic back then), to help shield heat away from the battery in that smaller confined space.

R

Users who are viewing this thread