BBQ ignitor tick on coyote engine

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Its an add on feature that Ford puts on and sometimes the dealers don't even know about it. U can actually start a real BBQ in your engine bay if you want. Jk is that your car in the video or just an example? It could be your AC stretchy belt is I believe what is one TSB on it

nate714

Established Member
No one really has a solid answer on what exactly is the source of that tick, but my car sounds exactly like that after an oil change. First oil change it made the tick for a while so I took into my ford dealership, left it there for a week for them to investigate it, no real progress made they got a response from Ford saying that sound is normal operation. It faded into silence as I put time and miles on the oil, 11 months and less than 5k miles later I got another oil change and guess what the tick is loud as hell again. Sounds like there's a drunk demon with a typewriter under the hood.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
My tick comes back exactly like yours Nate, right after I change the oil and it dissipates after a few hundred miles. Car has done this since new and now has 38K on the clock, still runs like a raped ape. I have no concerns and FWIW I had an 09 GT500 for a little while did the same damn thing, lol.

Last edited:

Paxton CS

Had it on the lift today also sounds like I have marbles in my crankcase so looks like I might have a problem in there. it all started with that tick.

nate714

Established Member
Had it on the lift today also sounds like I have marbles in my crankcase so looks like I might have a problem in there. it all started with that tick.

if you do find anything wrong with it let us know so we can fix ours too lol. It'd be awesome if we could point the exact cause out to the dealership and get it fixed for those of us still under warranty. Mine is a grey area because of bolt ons but if I could isolate the noise and cause I could easily go back to stock briefly.

I've heard people say Amsoil works miracles for the tick, and some people use the oil weight suggested for track pack mustangs instead of 5w-20. My oil changes are still free at Ford so I deal with it for now.

D1984

Whining
Established Member
My car has 104k miles on it now, and I've had it since 65k. It has done this after oil changes for a thousand miles or so since I bought it. Still runs fine. I've noticed it has gotten much quieter since I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 vs. the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 I used before, and the Motorcraft 5w20 I used way back when I first got the car for the first couple oil changes. FWIW I always prefill the filter, and I change my oil every 5k miles. I'm not worried about it. No change in performance whatsoever, and it has not gotten louder, only quieter.

Vert

Established Member
So those with the noise, how do you install the oil filter. I think this is a myth, but I read somewhere if you don't partial fill the filter it can cause foaming/bubbles shortly after an oil change.

D1984

Whining
Established Member
So those with the noise, how do you install the oil filter. I think this is a myth, but I read somewhere if you don't partial fill the filter it can cause foaming/bubbles shortly after an oil change.

I always prefill and the tick is still there

GBCoyote

Established Member
My car has 104k miles on it now, and I've had it since 65k. It has done this after oil changes for a thousand miles or so since I bought it. Still runs fine. I've noticed it has gotten much quieter since I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 vs. the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 I used before, and the Motorcraft 5w20 I used way back when I first got the car for the first couple oil changes. FWIW I always prefill the filter, and I change my oil every 5k miles. I'm not worried about it. No change in performance whatsoever, and it has not gotten louder, only quieter.

I've ran nothing BUT Penzoil Platinum in mine and have never had an issue. I beat my car like it owes me money also, it's not a show car like some of these Instagram tards.

Paxton CS

So the story goes like most others, did an oil chane only 3rd oil change by the way because the car only has 10k on it changed from synthetic blend to full synthetic motorcraft 5-50w with oe filter and the next day started to hear a tick.Worse with AC on at idle its the same tick as the video identical.Now a week later after tryin to isolate it over the last week having it on a lift with stethoscope no luck.noticed the other day sound getting more consistant like a lifter tick.Put it back on the lift listen into oil pan sounds like grinding metal box of marbles.Car still runs great though..FML

D1984

Whining
Established Member
I've ran nothing BUT Penzoil Platinum in mine and have never had an issue. I beat my car like it owes me money also, it's not a show car like some of these Instagram tards.

I've noticed these cars like to be driven. I put a lot of miles on mine (mostly highway though) and it's been 100% problem free unless you count the BBQ tick. Hell, I'm still on the original clutch and it isn't showing any signs of weakness, and I have about 30-40 1/4 mile passes on it so far

nate714

Established Member
I have to agree with that, these cars are made to be trashed on. My 98 lasted forever, had 188k miles when I sold it, and the coyote just loves to be thrashed and revved. Miles will silence the tick eventually.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member

Are you sure the marbles sound isn't coming from the transmission (if a manual)? It's pretty common for manuals to have "gear rollover" when in neutral and idling, every Mustang I have owned with stock and aftermarket tranmissions has made this noise.

FYI, my car doesn't seem to make any noise at all other than injectors but I also didn't listen for anything during my last oil change (500S prefilled and 5w20 motorcraft full syn). I guess I'll give a listen next month.

Paul.

Established Member
My car has the same tick. It's a 2011 with ~34k miles, and I've had it for a while. It's definitely RPM-related. It's annoying, but nothing has blown up yet. My car is also 100% mechanically stock as far as engine/driveline goes.

Paul.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Aside from the factory fill of motorcraft, I've always run Amsoil 5w20 (signature series ALMQT) with a Wix filter (57502), just over 22k, no ticking whatsoever. I do have several 8+ hour drives to and from Colorado at 80+mph with 3.73s so the oil gets plenty of time to run around the engine.
I do always swap the filter and fill with the car tilted to the drivers side... not sure if it makes a difference, but it makes for less of a mess especially with removing the old oil filter.

Users who are viewing this thread