BC coilovers

Badbob2121

ЯTR #054
Established Member
Have you ever owned a car with coilovers before?

One problem with your question is that one person's opinion of what is "too stiff or bouncy" may completely differ from yours... so your going to get inconsistent responses..

Alex5.0

Established Member
Have you ever owned a car with coilovers before?

One problem with your question is that one person's opinion of what is "too stiff or bouncy" may completely differ from yours... so your going to get inconsistent responses..

Yea I use to have kw in my BMW

Griever423

Established Member
Yea I use to have kw in my BMW

Comparing BC racing coils to KW is like comparing caviar to dog poop. BC isn't even gonna come close to the ride quality and handling capabilities of KW in a long shot. If you're looking at them and hoping to get a similar feel to what you had in your bmw you're going to be disappointed. The BC coils are gonna be stiff, unresponsive, and bouncy as well as make a lot of noise.

Alex5.0

Established Member
Comparing BC racing coils to KW is like comparing caviar to dog poop. BC isn't even gonna come close to the ride quality and handling capabilities of KW in a long shot. If you're looking at them and hoping to get a similar feel to what you had in your bmw you're going to be disappointed. The BC coils are gonna be stiff, unresponsive, and bouncy as well as make a lot of noise.

Thanks for letting me kno

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
If you're looking at them and hoping to get a similar feel to what you had in your bmw you're going to be disappointed. The BC coils are gonna be stiff, unresponsive, and bouncy as well as make a lot of noise.

This is just plain false. BCs ride fine if they have the correct spring rates, be sure to check as they have been known to supply the wrong ones. I've had coilovers on every car I've owned and tried everything from Bilstein, KW, H&R, HKS, AST, and BC which I had on my last car an 08 STI. For the price the performance and ride of the BC's are fine for people that daily drive their car and track it 1-3 times a year. I performed better than cars with coilovers 2-3x the price of the BCs, they never made noise, the damping adjustment knob actually induces a noticeable change, and they come with camber plates. Obviously they are not made to the same standards or with the same materials as $3500+ Motons or JRZs but for the average guy, which most on here are, they are more than enough.

Last edited:

Griever423

Established Member
This is just plain false. BCs ride fine if they have the correct spring rates, be sure to check as they have been known to supply the wrong ones. I've had coilovers on every car I've owned and tried everything from Bilstein, KW, H&R, HKS, AST, and BC which I had on my last car an 08 STI. For the price the performance and ride of the BC's are fine for people that daily drive their car and track it 1-3 times a year. I performed better than cars with coilovers 2-3x the price of the BCs, they never made noise, the damping adjustment knob actually induces a noticeable change, and they come with camber plates. Obviously they are not made to the same standards or with the same materials as $3500+ Motons or JRZs but for the average guy, which most on here are, they are more than enough.

So you're a better driver than those other people with better suspensions. Ask ANY reputable tuner or shop that specializes in suspension work and/or tracks their cars and they will all tell you BC racing, megan racing, Godspeed and all of the other cheap knockoff suspension components are crap.

"Too stiff" and "Bouncy" are matters of opinion so I simply gave my opinion to the OP. I'll word it a little bit differently next time. "For the price" I'd rather have a good shock and spring setup with some camber plates to be quite honest.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Yes it comes down to driver. But drivers better than me also drove my car with them on and were significantly surprised with the performance. I'm not trying to be a BC Racing nut swinger but you are making comments that just simply are not true. Having had setups from all the others I mentioned I was in the same mindset as you until I tried a set. I went in thinking they would be absolute crap, perform like crap, and wear out fast. None of that happened. The fact is you can get a decently performing coilover setup that does actually perform and appeal to most people out there that daily drive their cars. I guarantee you would not be able to tell the difference from a car riding on BCs to a car running on KWs unless you looked under the car. News flash, unless you are buying Motons, JRZs, Fox, your getting stuff that is probably manufactured in the factory just down the street from where the BC, Megan, etc. is made. It's not the early 90's anymore, SE Asia is damn good at copying stuff.

kingnut

Established Member
Funny random people bash BC yet every mustang owner online has good reviews of them. Noone has said they make any noise.

Griever423

Established Member
I'd wager that the reason they get good reviews from most mustang owners is that most mustang owners never see a road course or autox in the time they own the car with that setup. I'd bet that they wanted a certain "stance" to their car and I completely agree with what seank is saying that they wouldn't know the difference between suspension setups if they sat in them. So for them, BC is "good" because it does for them what they wanted it to do: give the car a certain look and stiffen things up.

I've been in different cars with different setups and have been amazed at the difference in feel and quality when going from a cheaper, less performance oriented setup to a better quality setup. The difference (to me) is very noticeable. If someone is just wanting to "drop" their car and have a good "stance" then more power to them for buying a less expensive product. I'd rather have something that is just as functional and performs that is also aesthetically pleasing.

To also point out: there are people that are competitive (and win) national events on a simple koni shock and ground control spring setup.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Griever, what applications have you run BC coils on? I'd like to hear where you got all this bad performance experience, daily driving, auto-x, road course?

I'd still put money on you not being able to tell the difference between a car that was running BCs versus one that was running KW or any other middle of the pack setup. Performance is not as horrible as you are making it out to be.

People win national events on shock/spring setups b/c that is usually what the series allows.

Are you a guy that also believes all Rota wheels are trash and will crack?

Generally you get what you pay for but for a guy that daily drives his car and it isn't just a track whore there is a point of diminishing return for performance parts.

Griever423

Established Member
No personal experience with BC's I'll admit. My info is coming from other people who have run them and from local shops who's advice and experience I trust completely.

I've ridden in cars that had a cheap coil setup (tanabe's on an s14) and then went to a good midrange-ish coil (HKS hypermax II on an 08' wrx) and noticed a world of difference. The same friend that has the S14 just went to a koni shock and ground control setup on his DD miata. HUUUGE difference in ride quality and performance. Never compared directly between two of the same car with different suspensions so I know it's not a super accurate comparison but nonetheless I COULD tell a NOTICABLE difference. This comes from riding in said cars extensively on different types of road including autox and road course. There's a difference, trust me.

And hell no I don't care about rotas or not. I mean, if I was going to buy a purely exclusive track set of wheels I wouldn't buy rotas as they're typically very heavy and not forged. For the street though...hell run what looks good to you and what you like. Doesn't matter there. Myself with my STi I had two sets of wheels for that reason there. I had some cheap knockoffs for the street and then the factory BBS wheels which were light for track use.

Last edited:

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
No personal experience with BC's I'll admit.

That's what I thought. They are not complete crap like the stance or tanabe stuff from the 90s. And like I said before the low end kw, hr, and anything else are most likely made just down the street if not in the same factory as the BCs. If you get a chance go for a ride in a car that has them and they are setup properly, ie not slammed on the ground, you will be surprised. :beer:

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
BC's arent horrible. They're just not Great. KW's are GREAT, like amazing. BC's are 40% the price and prob 70% of the coilover

MiamiSnake

Established Member
This is an old thread but a great one too. I am looking into buying a set and I hate when people come on here bash a product that they have never owned themselves. Majority of the people and I mean like 85 to 90 percent are just looking for a good clean drop with a good ride quality other than just throwing some springs on.

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
I have had the bc coil overs, and they worked fine for me!! Yeah there are stiffer than my stock suspension..... Obviously but never had a problem I had the BR type and they came with camber plates. I also cut my best 60' at the track with them (1.56). Haven't ran at the track with my new setup yet so will see. All in all from experience having them I liked them and had no issues at all.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
For the price and someone that will track 1-2 a year (me), I am not looking to spend a fortune on coilovers. I have a 1k budget, BC or Megan racing is what im taking a hard look at, as well as that other brand that had a Q in it.

there should be a coilover sticky with reviews, best overall, best bang for buck, shittiest, etc.

JpL4K3

Established Member
I had a setup from Ground Control just installed last week. I love the way they feel, and aren't to harsh for DD duties in my opinion. I need some thicker sway bars next.

kingnut

Established Member
This is an old thread but a great one too. I am looking into buying a set and I hate when people come on here bash a product that they have never owned themselves. Majority of the people and I mean like 85 to 90 percent are just looking for a good clean drop with a good ride quality other than just throwing some springs on.

People that a saying BC's make noise and ride like crap are absolutely full of it. I have my car lowered on BC's. I was riding 16 clicks hard in the front and 8 clicks in the rear. It rode just fine and absolutely no noise at all. Just to try it out I put both the front and rear to the softest setting and holy shit does it ride smooth.

I absolutely love my setup. The only thing I dont like about it is the front doesnt have a ton of height adjustability. Your choices are slammed, really slammed, and laying frame. But I couldnt be happier with my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread