Bdubbs twin disc clutch swap thread:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Have you driven a car with an RXT clutch, is it that light?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I have not, but very little effort with the dyad.
You can’t adjust the engagement with the cable, that’s the pivot ball.

My RXT was super high but I liked it.

Shortened the pivot ball for the RXT 1200 and at first I thought it was too low. Week later I loved it.

And yes, the TOB gets cooked if it has to speed up to the clutch RPM in between shifts or when you first press the clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Gotcha. I'll have to get use to it. I'm going to adjust my tob the way you set yours up.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cj428mach

Established Member
And yes, the TOB gets cooked if it has to speed up to the clutch RPM in between shifts or when you first press the clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I don't believe that to be correct.

Most manual transmission vehicles pre 1980's don't have the throw out bearing touching the pressure plate unless you apply pressure to the pedal. A running throw out bearing was going to go out in no time, so they were setup not to touch the pressure plate. When I installed my T5 behind my 351C was the first time I dealt with a throw out bearing that was made to run all the time. What i read on the internet is that when Ford went to cable clutch linkages they required a throw out bearing that was made to run all the time, so the throw out bearing they use is different than one from say the 60's. If you speak to any old timer thats worked on a car he'll tell you the throw out bearing should never touch the pressure plate until the pedal is applied, this is based off the old throw out bearings.

Unfortunately I don't know if theres any spec on how much pressure should be applied to the the pressure plate by the throw out bearing when not in use, it wouldn't be in the shop manual as the Ford system is self adjusting. What I did on my street rod which doesn't have the self adjusting Ford linkage, is I adjusted it based off where the clutch released. If I can push the clutch pedal a considerable distance while the car is moving before I lose power, I know the clutch isn't riding right on the edge of slipping when the pedal isn't pressed.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Interesting for sure. I just don't want to prematurely wear out my new clutch. I push my pedal all the way to the floor to make sure it's disengaged. When I release the pedal it's maybe 1/2"-1" from the floor when the rpms drop and the car wants to move forward.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Don't forget you're coming from a worn out clutch to a new one as well. That'll make a bit of a difference in engagement. I would drive it a bit and see if you can adjust to the new release point first. If you can and everything else is adjusted correctly I'd leave it.

FWIW, I've had the TOB touching in all of my clutches. I haven't had one go out randomly yet. Knock on wood.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't forget you're coming from a worn out clutch to a new one as well. That'll make a bit of a difference in engagement. I would drive it a bit and see if you can adjust to the new release point first. If you can and everything else is adjusted correctly I'd leave it.

FWIW, I've had the TOB touching in all of my clutches. I haven't had one go out randomly yet. Knock on wood.
I think that's sound advice. Only thing I'll do is maybe go 1-2 clicks on the firewall adjuster so the tob is constantly spinning. Obviously not super fast.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Very hard to see, I tried making a video showing how much tob is spinning. Just enough to have it constantly turning while in neutral.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Had a break in the weather, still quite cold, like 40 degrees and windy. Drove around my neighborhood, logged about 6 miles.

Clutch feels pretty good, need a little more seat time getting use to leaving in 1st gear. It would be much easier if I raised the rpms a lot more when taking off. But not sure if that's a good idea on a new clutch.

All gears went in quite smoothly, 1st gear got a little tough on the last stop sign. Reverse has always been a little hard. May tighten up the cable one more click on the firewall adjuster.

I can basically let the clutch all the way out in reverse and the car starts moving. A lot of miles to go, but already this clutch is night and day different than the promotion I previously had.

No abnormal sounds and the car made it back home, so that's a win in my book!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It shouldn't hurt anything to give it a little more RPM on the take off. That was one of the things I had to learn when I got my car. I had to finish breaking in the RXT and since it's more grabby than a stock clutch I had to learn to give it more RPM so it wouldn't chatter.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
It shouldn't hurt anything to give it a little more RPM on the take off. That was one of the things I had to learn when I got my car. I had to finish breaking in the RXT and since it's more grabby than a stock clutch I had to learn to give it more RPM so it wouldn't chatter.
Cool, 1200-1500 rpms would make a difference. I get very very little chatter. And it's not all the time.

cj428mach

Established Member
If you break it in correctly you should end up with no chatter and something you can drive like stock.

Im glad it didn't scared you as mine was unbelievably harsh the first few drives I was sure something was screwed up.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
If you break it in correctly you should end up with no chatter and something you can drive like stock.

Im glad it didn't scared you as mine was unbelievably harsh the first few drives I was sure something was screwed up.
Awesome. I'll definitely be doing 450-500 city miles. My previous clutch was pretty harsh, so I knew a little chatter is normal.

Everything else is nice and quiet. I appreciate the help and motivation everyone has given me.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Cool, 1200-1500 rpms would make a difference. I get very very little chatter. And it's not all the time.

I want to say thats about where I take off. They say 1000 miles for break in for the RXT. I think it was a little more than that and it smoothed out. Plus learning to drive with a grabby clutch.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I want to say thats about where I take off. They say 1000 miles for break in for the RXT. I think it was a little more than that and it smoothed out. Plus learning to drive with a grabby clutch.
Gotcha. Centerforce says 450-500 miles. I only put a total of 700ish so far this year. And that's a lot of highway. Not a lot nicer days left, winter is coming.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Yes Bdubbs bummer for us northerners. But always enjoy it again in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Khan

BANNED STOCK BRAKE PADS GURU
Established Member
I would recommend breaking the clutch before putting it in storage. Also, I have had my TOB spinning all the time and never had an issue with since 2007.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I would recommend breaking the clutch before putting it in storage. Also, I have had my TOB spinning all the time and never had an issue with since 2007.
Likely won't happen. 500 city miles would take me quite awhile. And here in Minnesota we could have snow in October. The lows have already been sub 30 degrees.

Great to hear with the tob, that's quite some time.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Took car out today. Had some noise when clutch pedal was fully depressed. Backed tob off pp fingers so it just stopped spinning, now it's quiet.

I've done some research saying moving the tob closer to the pp fingers would generally stop the noise.

Kind of confused. I'll be taking it out again tonight. Only have about 50 miles on it.

Users who are viewing this thread