Because Screw You Grass

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
This year sucked ass. Had to have the front of the house leveled and it got postponed due to the week long freeze. The freeze killed off 90% of our bushes in the flower beds and around the tree. it took a few months to get everything lined up but now ... MOW? Mow what? I am surprised the HOA has let us go as long as it has without screaming. But then we have a Unicorn of an HOA pretty damn reasonable all the time.

Attachments

• house1.jpg
    house1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 311
  • house2.jpg
    house2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 309
  • house3.jpg
    house3.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 303

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Bro, put the fake plants and trees up. They look just as good and u cannot tell its fake. My buddy did it to half his yard and it looks perfect all the time.

He even has turf that looks just like grass in one part of the yard and im telln ya u cant tell its not real.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How much did all the stone cost you? Is there plastic/fabric weed block under the stone?

Looks good for the lot size it is. A bigger lot size probably would look too bare. Gotta love the minimal maintenance now required.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
How much did all the stone cost you? Is there plastic/fabric weed block under the stone?

Looks good for the lot size it is. A bigger lot size probably would look too bare. Gotta love the minimal maintenance now required.

The entire job front and what I did in back cost just under 20k. The took down the stone around the beds and trees, took out excess dirt pulled out the dead stuff, took out what grass was left, put commercial grade weed barrier down then the plants and rock. Took them four days and me just under 20k to have it all done. The river rock was 145 per yard and I think there was 20 yards in front

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
This is my plan for the beginning of next year. I'm tired of the grass up front and we've only been in the house a year. We're going to go with gravel since I have to drive on it to get the trailers into the back yard.

MG0h3

Established Member
Let us know how the weed paper works. The weeds here in Vegas just blast right through it. I got rid of my grass, put down weed paper and rock on top...and the weeds just laugh there way through it.

Check and see if the weeds came through it, or if sand has blown into the rocks and that’s where the weeds are growing.

I find it’s the latter in El Paso.

Pulled all the gravel out of the 14’ x 6x strip next to my driveway. Sifted all the sand out. What a PItA. Took four full wheelbarrows of sand out that was on top of the weed barrier. Took 5yrs for this to occur.

Throwing fake grass down in the coming weeks

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Machdup1

Established Member
I thought this was going to be about RDJ giving up smoking the Devil’s cabbage.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
our luck with it has been mixed on one side of the house it took about 10 years before the weeds started popping through. in the back a lot less but I am not sure the same quality of mat was used.

I do know the mat they put down this time was way different much more sturdy in both look and feel. which I think is the difference between home depot and real commercial grade landscaping weed mat. But time will tell

Weed mat is worthless. The seeds land from the top, not underneath.
I had my yard killed and redone last year. Good grass, and still looks great.

Fat Boss

Established Member
Looks good. I'm putting in about 650 sq/ft of pavers in back and putting in, <chuckles> a lawn about 12x12. I have a pup who will appreciate a little grass to get his business done. I live on a hillside, so very little flat ground for anything.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Reminds me of the houses in El Paso, we had rock in our front yard and sand in the back. Pretty much maintenance free.

quad

Established Member
Very practical!

4000 lbs of Canadian flag and wall stone was delivered to our driveway on two pallets earlier in the week. They also delivered 2 cu yard of pebbles and 1 cu yard of river rocks. I might have them deliver another 5 cu yard once I get through what's sitting in the driveway. This is just a temporary solution because our dogs are wrecking the back yard and causing a muddy swamp. I will put some landscape felt down but the dogs will probably dig it up - unless the gravel is 8-12" deep lol!

Over the years I have dropped a lot of gravel in the back yard but without landscape felt and it sunk into the ground.

Eventually if we do a home addition I will sift out all the rocks / gravel from the soil and throw it all on a pile in the corner on some heavy duty plastic sheets. Then when the time is right the backyard will be a Japanese garden with perhaps a rectangular grass area like a pool floating inside the Japanese garden.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Looks good. I'm putting in about 650 sq/ft of pavers in back and putting in, <chuckles> a lawn about 12x12. I have a pup who will appreciate a little grass to get his business done. I live on a hillside, so very little flat ground for anything.
thanks ... I didn't have them do between the sidewalk and street and between the fence and the sidewalk on the side of the house ... after some thought I am going to spend the extra and have that done as well that will leave just a patch on the side of the house and the back yard to mow ..
Very practical!

4000 lbs of Canadian flag and wall stone was delivered to our driveway on two pallets earlier in the week. They also delivered 2 cu yard of pebbles and 1 cu yard of river rocks. I might have them deliver another 5 cu yard once I get through what's sitting in the driveway. This is just a temporary solution because our dogs are wrecking the back yard and causing a muddy swamp. I will put some landscape felt down but the dogs will probably dig it up - unless the gravel is 8-12" deep lol!

Over the years I have dropped a lot of gravel in the back yard but without landscape felt and it sunk into the ground.

Eventually if we do a home addition I will sift out all the rocks / gravel from the soil and throw it all on a pile in the corner on some heavy duty plastic sheets. Then when the time is right the backyard will be a Japanese garden with perhaps a rectangular grass area like a pool floating inside the Japanese garden.
thankfully our dogs are small and not diggers so they have plenty of space in the back. we also have a rather sizable Tortoise that roams around the back yard but she isn't a digger either.

Users who are viewing this thread