Been through the ringer but I'm back in a cobra

cbr repsol

Established Member
So after selling my mysticchrome. Nasty divorce..getting remarried. (Different woman) :)
I had gotten a 16 mustang gt
Planned on molding it but the damn car was a lemon . So got rid of it but took time. My dad surprised me with a 97 rio red svt cobra.
The car is in really really good shape. Few minor bugs that need attention like vacuum hoses,battery,tune up and alternator. I'm so freaking excited about this car.

Plans are for turbo in the future..but I'm probably gonna have to wait a year or maybe even two. Collect parts for a while...but in the mean time. I wanna enjoy the car.

cbr repsol

Established Member
Hope this pic works

Attachments

• IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    719.4 KB · Views: 240

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Does look nice. Congratulations! Rio Red is definitely one of my favorites. Hope everything works out well for you, modding wise. :)

cbr repsol

Established Member
Ok so after almost getting ready to kill it with fire. I fixed the charging system.

I had gotten a rebuild alternator local to me. Installed it and no charge. I had also put a new battery because the old one was fried. I kept coming up with 12volts ...no Bueno.
So I check the fuses, everything good. Checked wiring harness. Verified I had 12 volts with key off all the way to the alternator. Everything was good. So I'm like wtf??? Next I replaced the alternator voltage regulator plug and resolidered with heat shrink tube, still not charging. Took theater alternator out and swapped it with another from the rebuild guy.
This time it didn't charge but charged when I reved it to 2k. So I'm like I think the voltage regulator doesn't work in this one to. So I took it back and got my money back. Went to the auto parts store orieleys and got one from them. Installed the alternator and all is good 14.4 volts.
Finally got to drive it today...car runs good.
There is a few other minor vacuum leaks I'm going to address and also change the spark plug wires and the car should be good to go.

cbr repsol

Established Member
Finally got everything dialed in.
I had a misfire on number 2 cylinder caused by a faulty injector..car runs even better now.
I smoked the heck out of the tires earlier today.
Felt so good...I'm going to put a roll cage in the car with full length subframe connectors.
Wanna take it to willow springs and have a blast.

cbr repsol

Established Member
The motor is pretty darn tight for never being rebuilt and 173k on it...all the cylinders were 180 to 190 psi when doing compression test.

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
Well got it torn down and brought the head and head gasket to a shop. The head was not warped and from the looks of the gasket, they seem to think that the head bolts at the area of the # 8 cyl had backed out/became loose. This is not surprising as they have seen this before on the cadillac northstar motors.

Just taking my time putting everything back together, a lot of work doing this in the engine bay and yes I did both heads!

cbr repsol

Established Member
I ended up getting a new set of ford racing 9mm wires. The ones I had were arking randomly.
Car runs even better now.

Users who are viewing this thread