Begone Demon Clamp | SVTP Tool-Tech | Hose Clamp Pliers

Begone Demon Clamp | SVTP Tool-Tech | Hose Clamp Pliers

Hose_Clamp_Pliers_005.jpg

If there is one automotive component that has led to more frustration than should ever be tolerated, it has to be the spring loaded hose clamp. There have been times when one of those things was the bane of my existence. If they aren't flying off to parts unknown, then they're located in an area where a contortionist couldn't get a pair of pliers on them. There was one on the secondary radiator of a 2011 Ford F-250 with the 6.7L Powerstroke diesel that left my hands looking like I had been bare-knuckle boxing a cheese grater. Thankfully, there's a better way.

17903630_10208472697446060_4397470505651376049_n.jpg

True Story

Tons of tool manufacturers have stepped up to the plate and designed specialty pliers designed specifically to remove/install these godforsaken retention devices. I have two different versions. Both are from the Craftsman brand, but I think they may have been sold other brand names as well. This is one of those things were spending a ton on a name brand isn't super important, it's best to just have any serviceable version than to be without. Also, since Sears stores are vanishing across the nation and Craftsman specialty tools are getting tougher to find on the shelf, I'll list a few recommendations at the end of the article.

Hose_Clamp_Pliers_008.jpg

The ability to hold a clamp open while moving the hose into place is invaluable.

The first set I use are fairly basic, and are pretty much just your standard hose clamp pliers. It's construction is mostly stamped steel, and its best feature by-far is its locking mechanism. These pliers do a great job of grabbing onto a spring loaded clamp and then holding it in the open position. However, the downfall of these particular pliers is they don't work very well in tight spaces. You have to have a decent amount of room to get these onto clamp, and Heaven help you if that clamp is not at the perfect angle to get the jaws engaged on it. But if the stars align just right these pliers can get the job done.

Hose_Clamp_Pliers_007.jpg

If you can get to the clamp easily these pliers can make quick work of it.

However, you know as well as I do that no auto manufacturer designs their cars to be worked on by some weekend-wrencher in his driveway. As such, more often than not the spring clamp you're trying to get to is going to be buried in some damn-near-impossible to get to corner of the engine bay. That's where tool number two comes into play. This set, which is oddly made in France, features a set of cable actuated jaws that can reach into tight areas. Plus, like the other set of pliers, they also have a locking mechanism to hold the clamp in the open position.

Hose_Clamp_Pliers_009.jpg

If I could only have one set of hose clamp pliers it would be these.

Hose_Clamp_Pliers_006.jpg

This locking mechanism is money.

Hose_Clamp_Pliers_003.jpg

These things need a little oil. Living in a toolbox on a boat for a year can lead to a little corrosion.

These are my go-to set of hose clamp pliers because they are much easier to handle and work with than the first set. They also are far less likely to slip and let the clamp fly off at warp speed, mostly towards a painted surface you really don't want scratched. The sliding angled jaws do a good job of holding onto the clamp tabs, and the cable makes it easy to manipulate into place. If you can only have one set of hose clamp pliers in your tool box, the cable actuated ones are the set I would suggest. Check out the vid:

If you are interested in either style of pliers here's a few I found on Amazon that are nearly identical:

Cable Operated:

https://amzn.to/2Jh1XXz

Standard:

https://amzn.to/2LarsHj

https://amzn.to/2H497ta

These are the actual Craftsman pliers (second set) that I have:

https://amzn.to/2xqgbk0

-SID297

Bravo. Great read. I hate those hose clamp pliers. Did not know about the other type so thanks. I like the SVTP Tool-Tech articles.

Bravo. Great read. I hate those hose clamp pliers. Did not know about the other type so thanks. I like the SVTP Tool-Tech articles.

Thanks. We're about through this season, only a few left. However, I have plans for the next season. Anything in particular you'd like to see?

Until a few years ago I never knew they even made such at tool as the second one you posted above. But as soon as I found out I bought a set... life and frustration saver for sure at times!

Users who are viewing this thread