Belt slip?

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member
I bought this car back in December this is really the first time I’ve really had it out. Car is stock just turned 5k miles today. Wanted to test her a bit was at 4K RPMs and got into her was at 40ish MpH. The RMPs jumped right up but there was a hesitation then she took off like a rocket. Right after a strong rubber burning smell. Belt slip? If so common? What are suggestions to stop?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

manny231988

Established Member
If RPM jumped maybe clutch was slipping some that gives a bad smell also, if it was belt slip new tensioner, idler pulleys new belt all this helps with belt slip.

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member
Yea after driving some more it’s the clutch. Previous owner was an old fella I guess he must have rode the clutch hard. 5k miles I wasn’t anticipating changing clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Change the rear gear first. MUCH better driving car and save your clutch, whatever clutch you go with.
-J

raustin0017

Established Member
OP...I though I burnt my clutch a few months ago. Did a hard pull, through 2nd and 3rd with blue smoke billing out the rear...thought it was tire smoke. When I came to a stop the smell was all clutch and knew for sure it was going to have to be replaced. Not true...it sort of clattered a few days but fixed itself and no slippage since that day. With 5K miles...my suggestion is just drive it and don't baby it and it will smooth itself out.

Last owner could have done permanent damage if he was running sticky tires...there is no way stock rubber could hook the power and damage stock components.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I love doing 1/2 mile events. That's the only reason my car has 3.31 gears. But if you never attend those events than 3.73 gears are the way to go. It seems clutch failures are hit and miss on the 13/14s. My car is making almost 800wtq and I'm still on the stock clutch.

kwarnerjr

Established Member
I like the 3:73’s much more on the street and strip...but those ridiculous 120+ pulls in 3rd with the 3:31’s were always fun

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
I believe you can test the grip of your clutch in a higher gear such as 4th/5th with some throttle.
If it's slipping (with the 331's) that might that show RPM surge without tire spin? Another idea is have a buddy behind you when you think you're slipping while you're watching tach. No need to stab it just give it some push. Try that at lower speeds in 2nd...then 3rd. Unless you're really rippin the tires and leaving deep lines absent of that tire melt the smell is a good clutch clue .
Maybe previous owner was stabbing doing burn outs with TC on to explain premature wear?
I got my car at 3500miles. Clutch started noticeably slipping by low 4000's . Dealer offered 20% off stock replacement which was nice but I went aftermarket . So it happens . Maybe soon ...you start the clutch thread :)->)!

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member
There was definitely an RPM surge Normal driving it’s fine but when you hit it hard the RPMs jump but it takes a second or so to take off.

I am planning to redo clutch. I don’t race so based on my research the McLeod seems to fit my needs.

Beercules

Established Member
Just to ask the obvious question... did mph jump with rpm and a burning rubber smell? That's common with these cars:)

I bought this car back in December this is really the first time I’ve really had it out. Car is stock just turned 5k miles today. Wanted to test her a bit was at 4K RPMs and got into her was at 40ish MpH. The RMPs jumped right up but there was a hesitation then she took off like a rocket. Right after a strong rubber burning smell. Belt slip? If so common? What are suggestions to stop?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread