Belt Slipping?!

Dpres1

Every Man's Rival
Established Member
I have noticed a squeaking noise when I let off the gas under hard acceleration.
Is this the blower belt slipping? And if so, how can I cure it? Does it need to be tightened? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Dpres1

Every Man's Rival
Established Member
So the belt that's on there is no good? The trucks only got 3400 miles on it! Sheesh, I guess I need to stay out of the boost!

Thanks a heap for the help, sir.

Dpres1

Every Man's Rival
Established Member
I don't know how else to really describe it. I'll be smashin the gas @ WOT and when I let off the pedal there is a squealing noise. It sounds like a belt to me, but I just drive 'em, I don't work on 'em.

Dpres1

Every Man's Rival
Established Member
Thanks a lot LightninRod!
I got on it a little during my lunch today and it didn't make the noise, so naturally I got on it more and still no squeal. I think maybe it got wet from washing the truck earlier the other day? I'll keep my ears open and if it happens again I'll print out the link you gave and bring it to my service adviser.
Thanks again.

Sweet35th

Genius/serial killer
Established Member
Actualy its very comon for the accesory drivebelt (not sure about the blower belt) to slip after heavy acceleration.....You will notice it most often when you hard accel through 1st gear, letting off just as the truck hits 2nd gear. The engine RPM falls rappidly after it hit high RPM, the belt just as any rotational objects trys to continue turning...The decrease in RPM unloads the belt tensioner and the belt squeals.

This happens even on N/A 5.4s, alot of V10s, hell even my GT when stock had this same thing...Come to think of it my fiances Impala SS does it to, and that belt only drives the alternator and PS pump..

The main cause is that when you accelerate hard, and let off the tensioner will actualy bounce (the rotating crank is pulling on the belt on accell, and under decel the belt is trying to continue at the speed the crank was pulling it at).

If you rev the engine up while looking at the belt tensioner you can see a less exagerated action of this.

Users who are viewing this thread