Benefits of tubular k member?

Mad_Marc

Procharged!
Established Member
So my car is taken apart, waiting on the built short block. I figured if I was going to add a tubular k member, now would be the time. My question is, other than weight are there any other benefits from a tubular k member? Looking at the BMR one. Thanks in advance for the input.

specizripn

Established Member
Frees up a lot of room for headers and just makes it easier to get stuff done under your car. Plus, lets face it, these things are nose heavy so it really won't hurt to take 70lbs off the front end. Maybe go with tubular A arms while your at it :beer:

SCalla1384

Established Member
I thought I heard the BMR K member WITH tubular A arms is like 35-40lbs. Not as much as it used to be on the new edges which is closer to 70lbs.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
^ On new edges it was 55 lbs less going from stock k-member, A-arms, and springs to UPR k-member, A-arms, and coilovers. Measured this on two cars with the exact same result.

Last edited:

4VFTW

Established Member
has anyone weighed the stock K member? when I had mine out it didn't feel all that heavy and that was with the EPAS setup and control arms still attached.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Any NVH increase with it?

Yes your going from the huge stock cushioned motor mounts to small hard poly mounts. It feels alot stiffer.

has anyone weighed the stock K member? when I had mine out it didn't feel all that heavy and that was with the EPAS setup and control arms still attached.

I believe someone has weighed both before and its something like 26 pounds lighter.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
So is most of the NVH gained coming from the stiffer motor mounts? Anyways BMR vs UPR...BMR weighs in at 27 lbs and UPR weighs in at 18 lbs. Both manufactures claim stock k-member is 44-45 lbs.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

So my car is taken apart, waiting on the built short block. I figured if I was going to add a tubular k member, now would be the time. My question is, other than weight are there any other benefits from a tubular k member? Looking at the BMR one. Thanks in advance for the input.

There are many benefits, or "Pros" to adding a tubular K-Member. There are also "cons".

Some Pros would be:

-Less Weight - Lighter
-Increased Rigidity
-More room underneath
-Increased clearance for header / turbo options
-Engine Height adjustment options
-^Increased underhood clearance for turbo / large SC applications
-Firmer / Easier shifts for Manual Trans Cars
-^Less drivetrain flex under load
-Rack height adjustment (no need for bumpsteer kit)

Cons:

-Increased NVH (some this is pro, some con)
-Labor/Cost to install (subjective)
-Lack of moutning points for underside panel/cover

The BMR K-Member will eliminate the factory shield / Z-Brace that connects the radiator support to the K-Member.

We do offer this to replace that system though:

2011-RS.jpg

I don't really recommend this for a car that is set up primarily for Drag-Race....but it is a very unique and cool piece for daily driven and road-coursed cars.

Here is a shot of how our 2011 sits right now, out in the parking lot:

IMAG0922.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread