Best 20" tire that hooks on 900rwhp car

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
Looking for a replacement to my old Mickey Thomson 305 drag radial tire. It worked good when it was fresh, but not even half through tread life and it started to spin bad off 40 mph and even 60mph....
So now I'm looking into new replacement tire, I've done some research and narrowed it down to this few:
1. Nitto nt01
2. Nitto NT05r
3. Toyo r888r
4. Mickey Thompson et street s/s

Things that I'm looking for in a new tire:
1. Traction (40mph roll dead hook is a must)
2. Price
3. How long will it last
4. Easy to balance

I don't care for noise, I'm not going to dig so not concern about that, it's a weekend car at best so wet road handling is not my primary concern, but still a concern....

Anyone with actual experience with one of those tires on a manual 900rwhp blower car????

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

MastaAce03

Established Member
BiminiLX would be the guy to talk to on here. He's making mid 900s

Like 13Cobra said, I don't see you having much luck sticking 900 on the street. Throttle control is going to have to be on point to make anything stick. No more pedal to the floor at 900+whp in first or second gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Im going to go against the grain here and rec the S/S. Thats their Drag radial compound on a more robust tire carcass. Same rubber compound as the Et Street Radial pro, and those tires HOOK.

I have the NT05Rs and have been less than impressed with their overall performance.

StangsfeverFOX

Established Member
Nittos don't do shit with 1100 , when I was 808 before going built they spun a good bit ,
Some suspension adjustments helped but if you'd mash it rolling in second it would spin

luker669

Established Member
NT05R did not stick for me

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
On the street an S/S doesn't "dead" hook for me in 2nd on a roll with a lot less power and a 15". Cool part about the Mickey is that it eventually catches itself and hooks. I've seen claims of hooking with that much power on a warm 888 although I have my doubts.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
From what I've heard, the R888s are heat cycle sensitive, and once they get cycled enough (one guy claimed only 15 or so heat cycles), they harden up, even with a lot of tread left.

deletednow2017

Established Member
I have quite a bit done suspension wise, but when on firm, my 20" ET/SS (305/35) will dead hook. I am a bit less power, though. Even from a dig/transbrake + 3300stall, the car will hook very well.

They will last you between 5-7k miles, they are moderately expensive (I can get you a set, but they are still pricey), and all radials kinda struggle to be balanced.

I'll tell you this as well, after this set is toast, I am dedicating a drag setup. It really isn't worth the 20" premium, especially when racestars are so cheap.

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
I do have a separate set of wheels for the track or just hooning around, 325/50/15 and front 17" runners, work well but I'm just trying to find a good tire for my 20s....

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
You're going to have to compromise somewhere. Either run the ET Streets that will perform the best out of options you've listed and deal with cost/shortness of life, run a more "normal" 20" tire and deal with less traction, or bite the bullet and throw the 15" bias plys on when you want to have fun on the street. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
You're not going to dead hook any 20" radial on the street with that much hp until 3rd gear.
Exactly. I can't even turn traction control off for a THIRD gear roll unless my 315/35/20 NT05Rs are warm and suspension set on soft (stock '13-14
dual mode).
Really good to just go to the 18" rear and have some options but the 30" tall 325/45/18 Hoosier drag radials at 18psi had my hooking in SECOND. I have 965rwhp and 4.10s.
Any reason you're stuck on 20s?
I know I am for a looks/show perspective but I have decided to do a custom 19" front/18" rear combo and sell my 20s in order to enjoy the power more.
I will say when warm, a third gear roll 50-160mph on my 20" NT05Rs is pretty sweet.
If stuck on 20s, I'd run the MT new models unless Hoosier has a tall enough sidewalk 20" DR.
Car is more comfortable on the soft 18s also.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread