Best Alternator For Terminator?

fivelitrecobra

Established Member
My alternator is on its way out, I'll be replacing it over winter. What is the best unit to replace it with? Opinions and first hand experience welcome.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I'd recommend getting one from a Brick and Mortar location close to you (I like Napa - but Autozone or O'Reilly's would have similar options). Get one with the lifetime warranty on it and plan on replacing it again in a few years down the road. I'd also have them test the new one before you leave the store just to double check it is not DOA.

This topic has been beat to death to be honest. A quick search would have provided all the views and answers you could ever want.

My view is that the alternator position will fail any Terminator that is driven. The exhaust manifold will just eventually cook it. I get about 3 to 4 years out of an alternator before it goes bad and needs replacing (car is somewhat daily driven). Figure if I pay for it once, I can just swap it for another one down the road.

jbou91

Established Member
I definitely DON'T recommend getting getting a piece of shit reman as stated. Go with a high output built alternator, such as Nations. I changed my alternator 6 times this year until I finally had enough of those cheap pieces of shit. Went with a Nation's alternator and never looked back.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I have had my Cobra since 2007. Car had 27K miles on it when I bought it. Car has about 46K now. My alternator has been working great all these years. My set up is almost stock.

So, my opinion is if the factory alternator has been working great all these years when it goes bad why not just get it rebuilt? You can find a rebuild kit and do it yourself or you can take it to a reputable shop, have them rebuild it and give you a guarantee/warranty.

I have read MANY horror stories on this site concerning re-manufactured alternators from local auto parts stores (Hell, I bought one for my 99 Contour and it went bad in a couple weeks). Remans suck from experience and what I hear.

I say have yours rebuilt with quality parts. Or pay serious coin for Nations or other brands that have a good reputation.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I replaced my alternator at 107k. I'm pretty sure it was the original. I think having the stock crank pulley helps too.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

blownfox

Established Member
My car has 23k miles and its on its third alternator. I just installed a mechman 170AMP so only time will tell. I went with mechman because I did not want to worry about alignment issues like some of the nation's alternators have.

Are you running a stock lower? Aftermarket lowers have been known to kill alternators.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I agree with the idea that having a stock lower (drive) pulley helps with the longevity.

That and also having the correct belt tension. I think too tight of a belt kills alternators.

I am still on my original alternator with over 121k miles.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Since everyone's dogging on my recommendation - I'd like to point out that I'm on my 3rd Alternator. Original owner of the car, and currently have a little over 79K miles on the car.
1st stock alternator died 9/14/09 - 33.8K Miles
2nd reman alternator died 8/24/2014 - 63.8K Miles
3 years and 13K miles later - I'm still on the third reman alternator and it's still running strong.

I haven't had the bad luck that most others point out here. I still hold to the theory that all alternators will eventually fail on Terminators. If it wasn't such a weak point to the car, then there wouldn't be so many threads on this particular topic.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Since everyone's dogging on my recommendation.

LOL, Don't think everyone is dogging your idea brother. I happen to think if you're going the reman route you're doing it the right way with a lifetime warranty. Pay once and make the manufacturer deal with giving you a new one if theirs fails.

I think we are just saying "most" remans don't last.

Also, other factors such as pulleys and belt tension contributes to alternator failure. It seems most Cobra owners who have a stock set up have long lasting alternators as well.

However, I also agree with you that at some point in time all alternators will fail.

delly

Established Member
I got mine from a guy on here years ago. He upgraded it and I added the bigger wire no problems. Also there's a place called pa on american muscle that sells them with the bigger wire upgrade.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm that guy that spent nearly 600 on a nations alternator. But running a return fuel system with bigger pumps, I want good voltage. I upgraded my positive and ground cables. An external regulator mounted away from heat, and being able to adjust the voltage is nice. Engine warm and driven for a good period of time, my volts are 14.3-14.7 range. It only dips for a split second in the 13's when the high speed fan kicks on along with all the lights on.

silvrsnake04

hp is a hellva drug
Established Member
I would recommend j2fabrication.com has a nice 200amp alternator for 400.00 with 3 wire upgrade. I'm running one of his unit's now and it puts out some nice voltage

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
I'm on my 3rd year with a 170 amp Mechman. I run a 2 lb lower and a larger alt pulley and have no issues at all. Car is a 2.9 whipple with twin 465 fuel pumps.

olympic

Established Member
I have 2 years and 5-6k miles with the Mechman 170 and 4lb lower. I made a little heat shield out of sheet aluminum that sits between the alt and the headers. Don't know if it does anything but it was free. I also ran a duct from the bumper to the alt for a little added air flow.

Since the side terminals on my Optima Red Top were not being used, I ran 0 gauge from both terminals direct to the alt and added an extra ground strap to the chassis as well.

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
I would recommend j2fabrication.com has a nice 200amp alternator for 400.00 with 3 wire upgrade. I'm running one of his unit's now and it puts out some nice voltage

Ordered a custom 240 amp alternator from j2fab two months ago still no alternator. I hear he makes quality stuff but damn

Users who are viewing this thread