Best body shop in San Diego

Chuckieduck

Established Member
So I'm backing my tuck into the driveway when I catch out of the corner of my eye my Mustang rolling down the driveway and smashes into my truck. Car had been sitting in garage for a couple months. Only thing I figure is that we had a couple nephews over at the house and they were playing in my car at some point. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg Most of the damage came from the car hitting the wheel/tire of my truck. The spoiler hit the bed of my truck putting a good size dent in the bed. Only a little paint rubbed off onto the spoiler. I'm hoping I can find someone who can fix it to where you never know it happened. My insurance company is being pretty cool. I told them I did not want the bumper cover fixed....I wanted a new one. Same with the lower valance cover. The agreed. The tail light has damage to it so they said replace that. The only major problems I see is that the taillight is pushed in and of course the damage to the rear quarter. The gap between the quarter panel and truck lid grew some.

I'm just looking to see if anyone knows of a good.... If not the best body shop in San Diego. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dannydr44

Established Member
That sucks man...I have a 2012 with the same color. I’ve been in the collision industry for about 10 years now. Ironically...I plan on moving back to San Diego next year and can’t wait to move back there. First off, don’t trust online reviews. They can manipulated and there companies out there, that specialize in improving online reviews...while getting the bad ones disputed or removed. I would visit a few shops in the area and take a hard look, at how the office and shop is i.e. clean, organized, are there parts in the vehicles (bad sign), is the interior dirty or covered in dust (bad sign), are parts hanging off the vehicle, etc. See if there are vehicles that done getting painted and take a look on how the color match is or just the overall look. Oh and stay the hell away from aftermarket parts...their horrible. Good luck man!

CPRsm

SoCal paintworks on prospect in Santee. We used to get our classic painted there. You will see 10-40k pain jobs there. They do insurance also. Ask for Bob Lubke and let him know Dustin sent ya

Chuckieduck

Established Member
image.jpgimage.jpgFinally got my car back from the body shop. I can't tell everyone how pleased I am with it. What an amazing job the did with it. The rear bumper is a new factory piece. The tail light is a new aftermarket piece and I'm very impressed with its quality. The tail light was pushed in about 3/4". I also had a door ding in the drivers door that also had a chip in it. They painted the rear quarter and drivers door. They blended the paint on the front fender and cleared the whole side. The body shop put a deep gouge in the front bumper so they had to fix that on their dime. They also had to repaint the rear spoiler. I can barely tell but there is just a slight variation in color between the trunk lid and the freshly painted stuff. You really have to be trying to notice it to notice it. They stripped everything off the car (trim, window moldings, side window, side skirts, rear view mirror...). They said they do not and will not tape up a car for paint. They would remove all trim and moulding, pain and clear the car and replace all the trim and side window.

Thanks goes out to CPRsm for suggesting SoCal Paintworks. I went by and talked to them and they were super cool but it would have cost me too much out of pocket. They suggested a body shop to me and that's where I ended up taking my car. It was almost $8k in total with $1K out of my pocket and many heated discussions with my insurance company to get it finished but I'm pretty happy with the end result.

Last edited:

Chuckieduck

Established Member
I took it to Philip Thearle's in Santee.

There was the damage shown in the pics as well as a lovely door ding in the drivers door. I also damaged the passenger rear wheel that was damaged when the car jumped a curb at the bottom of the driveway. No matter how much it was as long as it was fixed and it didn't cost me more than my deductible.

Users who are viewing this thread