Best Buy appliance warranty issues

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Only had one dealing with Best Buy, back in 09 I bought a Samsung Flat Screen TV during black Friday, bought the 2 year protection since it wasn't all that much. In 2011 it broke, called them, guy came out to repair, the part needed was no longer made, best buy sent me a giftcard for $650. But I have heard horror stories about the geek squad protection as of late.

Side Note: Appliances are not made to last anymore. They need you to replace them in a few years. Shit, my dads property in Northern Michigan has a hunting cabin on it and we still use the fridge that's there from the 50's.... Thing runs like a champ and is 70 years old. New appliances are a scam.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Best Buy is the worst. Friend purchased a vacuum from them. He took it home and it did not work. He took it back to return they wanted a 15% restocking fee. He said its broken and wanted his entire purchase price back. They said he could return it with restocking fee or go through manufacturer warranty to get it working. Same thing happened when my girlfriend at the time purchased her computer, that did not work. Buy extra parts from them to make it work or pay the restocking fee. I never buy anything electronic from them! Costco for the Win!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
+1 on Speed Queen. They make quality, simple appliances. Far as I know, still manufactured in Ripon, WI.

Whirlpool brands:

View attachment 1708242

Kinda off topic, but if you need parts, I've had excellent luck with PartsSelect.com.
(They're a canadian company, soooo.)
Sometimes the issue you have may even be listed by a previous Customer on their website. It may assist with your troubleshooting. I like their repair videos (if available). They've helped me remove/replace parts without breaking the little tabs/bosses used to hold them in. Sometimes it's almost impossible to see how assemblies are held together.

View attachment 1708243
I've used that site a ton over the years. What I also do, is look up the part # there and then check Amazon for pricing. As mentioned, the new shit just doesn't last.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I haven't been to Best Buy since CD's went by the wayside. Disturbed to see your Maytag took a dump so soon. I bought a Maytag washer/dryer 11 years ago and both are still going strong although I only do maybe three or four loads a month. Never heard of Speed Queen but it's on my radar now. A few mentioned refrigerators so I'll just add that I bought an Amana 11 years ago as well and it's worked like a dream. I would steer clear of GE since GE doesn't actually make the appliances anymore. It's owned by some Chinese company now.

Users who are viewing this thread