Best Cash Back / Rewards Credit Cards?

helloWorld

Established Member
I currently have a credit card through USAA who uses Visa that does 1.5% cash back on every purchase.

There has to be better than that out there. What do you guys use?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Depends on what you're using it for. No one rewards card is best suited for each individual. If you do all of your purchases on your credit card, having the overall 1.5% might be a good deal. If you're a business that uses the card for fueling a fleet of vehicles, having one with specific rewards for fuel would be better.

Look at how you use the card, then choose the one that is best for you.

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
1.5% cash back is pretty typical for a flat rate reward. Some cards give you higher % on certain purchases, but cap your rewards. All depends on your use.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
there are a few sites that will compare cards for you.

I have an American Express that gives back 6% on groceries (i forget the cap amount but its several hundred backs back at grocery stores).

We have a decent amount of travel coming up so I got a Chase Sapphire Reserve card because I knew I would meet the spend to get 100K bonus miles + 2 $300 travel credits in the first year. 3% back at restaurants and on travel (we buy some pre-pared meals and they count as a restaurant).

I need to swap my Citi card around and get the double cash card, 1% when you buy 1% when you pay so everything is 2%.

I will say it seems like Chase cards have a lot of awesome bonuses for meeting the initial spend in 60-90 days.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I got a Chase Sapphire for some international travel that I my wife and I went on. It paid back handsomely, probably $500-$1000 all said. It has an annual fee though, so we will cancel when they are about to charge that fee.

I have a Citi Visa issued through Costco, for everything else. 4% back on gas, 3% on restaurant/travel, 2% for anything from Costco, 1% everything else. It's my favorite card at the moment.

Blown 89

Established Member
Amazon gives me 5% back on Amazon purchases and gas. I use that and a Chase rewards card that does 5% back promos throughout the year. Between those two I'm pretty well covered since I operate mainly on a cash basis. There are websites that detail different rewards card programs that are worth looking into.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
I am using the Santander Card.They all seem about the same.The Amazon Card sounds great.I just looked at my statement $1610 in rewards available.If I was not paying the bill in full every month,I would go broke chasing rewards.

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
The new Costco visa is pretty good 4% gas 3% travel 2% restaurants 2% in Costco 1% everywhere else.

96dreamer

Established Member
citi 2% here as well. i weighed my options of one that gives you more for gas/groceries/other categories and it usually came out getting more back with 2% on everything cause a lot of shit i buy doesn't fall in most of the categories. I also put most of my engine build parts and an engagement ring on it and paid it pack interest free after 18 months which was a good perk as well.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Citibank double cash back for me. 1% for every purchase, another 1% back for paying it back. No specific category, everything gives you 1% for spending. My fav and best card, not recommend for traveling though outside the states. 0% Apr on first 18 months and no yearly fee.

My sams club MC gives me 5% back on pretty much any gas station.
No yearly fee for this one either

Last edited:

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I got a Chase Sapphire for some international travel that I my wife and I went on. It paid back handsomely, probably $500-$1000 all said. It has an annual fee though, so we will cancel when they are about to charge that fee.

Mine has saved me close to 2K in 3 years so I've paid $200. I'm cool with that. Plus the no international fees, and the direct phone line when I call with questions is nice. Plus it's one of a few that offers primary, not secondary, insurance on rentals.

Here's a more technical answer about that....

"Car rental coverage provided by credit cards is called the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW). Secondary CDW coverage waives your rental car agency’s right to pursue you for damages incurred to your rental car as a result of theft, vandalism, etc. However, secondary coverage may come with a deductible (typically $500), and in most cases doesn’t cover administrative fees or total loss of the vehicle due to an accident. Secondary CDW coverage is offered by a variety of cards issued by American Express (e.g., the Premier Rewards Gold Card), Visa (e.g., Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve) and Discover.

Primary rental car coverage provided by a credit card generally covers the loss of the vehicle, meaning you won’t need to pay a rental car company an extra fee for coverage when renting a vehicle, nor will you need to alert your car insurance company to any activity that could cause your premium to increase."

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Chase Sapphire and Chase Freedom. Chase Sapphire gave me like $650 just for my wife and I signing up. Its 2% cashback on travel related purchases and 1% on everything else. Plus points redeem for 25% more on travel. My Chase Freedom is great for rotating categories. Last one was 5% cashback at Costco. My wife and I shop there all the time so we made out pretty solid on it.

Im not gonna lie, I've been eyeing this new costco card though from citi. It looks awesome, but Im not sure I can justify having 3 cards.

Stanger00

Established Member
For travel points we use Venture and got a bonus for spending x amount in 3 months. Paid for our wedding using that card and our 1 year anniversary travel plans are paid for with those points. 5 day stay in Niagra Falls. Nothing crazy fancy or expensive.

Cash back we use Discover IT card at the moment but we only earn 150-200 per year with that. There are limits on how much you get with those 5% promotions.

Once the dust settles with our new home construction we'll be getting a Costco cashback card. Can't add new accounts at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I have the Citi Costco and the Amex Preferred.

Amex is 6% at grocery, 3% gas, 2% department stores, 1% everything else IIRC.
Plus got $300 for signing up during the promotion in January for spending like 1k in the first 3 months.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
As other's mentioned, wait for a great signup bonus. Unfortunately the best signup offers are targeted so you might have to wait a while. The last card I opened was good for $400 in airfare after I spent $500 in the first 3 months. It was a US Bank Flex Perks American Express.

Otherwise, I have a BP card that gives 5% back on gas. Some other cards focus more on dining or groceries.

If you can be responsible with credit, having 3 or 4 cards that have their specific purpose would maximize the cash/rewards you receive back.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I use Discover for pretty much everything. I don't take the cash back, I use it for gift cards. Most if not all the gift cars are $20 gets you $25, $40 gets you $50, etc...We eat out a lot and I use the GC's as much as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread