Best cheap/free CAD program for home computer

Jroc

Established Member
Let's say $100 or less.

At work I have AutoCAD LT.(I think the 2012 addition) I've had to teach myself how to use it to run our new waterjet, but I've gotten to where I like it. It's fun to be able to draw all kinds of things up, and once you start to learn how to use it and get good on it, it's not that hard to draw some pretty involving stuff.

Anyway some of the engineers at my job use really highend programs like CATIA, and/or SolidWorks, but I'm just a Tool Maker and get AutoCAD. That's fine though and I like it.

Anyway I was wanting to get something for my home computer to be able to draw with, but I'm not looking to spend 3 or 4 figures like the industrial programs command.

I was thinking about something like this TurboCAD, but I have no experience with it.
Amazon.com: TurboCAD Deluxe 18: Software

What do y'all think?

Remember this isn't for work, but just to use at the house.

Last edited:

jason6488

Established Member
if you're used to autocad go with doublecad. its autocad knockoff and totally and utterly free. buttons sre even in the same place.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
Let's say $100 or less.

At work I have AutoCAD LT.(I think the 2012 addition) I've had to teach myself how to use it to run our new waterjet, but I've gotten to where I like it. It's fun to be able to draw all kinds of things up, and once you start to learn how to use it and get good on it, it's not that hard to draw some pretty involving stuff.

Anyway some of the engineers at my job use really highend programs like CATIA, and/or SolidWorks, but I'm just a Tool Maker and get AutoCAD. That's fine though and I like it.

Anyway I was wanting to get something for my home computer to be able to draw with, but I'm not looking to spend 3 or 4 figures like the industrial programs command.

I was thinking about something like this TurboCAD, but I have no experience with it.
Amazon.com: TurboCAD Deluxe 18: Software

What do y'all think?

Remember this isn't for work, but just to use at the house.

Why not have your engineers just save their Solidworks files as DXF so you can open them on your Waterjet software? That's what we do at my shop. But, we also bought our machinists FeatureCAM, though the waterjets use their own software.

Also, if you're in any sort of college class, you can get student edition of Solidworks for like 100$ for a year.

Jroc

Established Member
Why not have your engineers just save their Solidworks files as DXF so you can open them on your Waterjet software? That's what we do at my shop. But, we also bought our machinists FeatureCAM, though the waterjets use their own software.

Also, if you're in any sort of college class, you can get student edition of Solidworks for like 100$ for a year.

I never said I didn't. :shrug: I'm just looking for something to draw with at the house. lol

BTW that Dassault software that 65fastback2+2 posted seems to work pretty well for a free CAD program. Doesn't Dassault make plans in Sweden like the Griffen or something? :read:

Last edited:

96dreamer

Established Member
i have a torrented copy of solid works on my home laptop but i never use that anymore since my new job all we use is pro-e, which i hate. i've used a lot of 3d programs and solidworks is by far my favorite.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Question. For someone who wants to design a simple part but has no experience with autocad, how difficult is it to learn the basics? I subscribe to Lynda.com which has loads of autocad tutorials, many of which are directly related to the program being used (ie. SolidWorks) but was just wondering approximately how much time on average it takes to learn the basics where you can then design a simple part.

JustaGT5408

Established Member
If you can get your hands on Solidworks you'll be set. By far the best 3D CAD program I have used throughout school and my job (Design Engineer). I got lucky and was given a free version of solidworks and a lifetime product key for my home computer through work.

A lot of times your can get a free trial, or like stated above, a free 1 year with a .edu email address, thats what I did before I graduated.

Users who are viewing this thread