Best K member for 99-04 Mustangs

bobby_0081

Established Member
I would guess that Maximum Motorsport would be the best for street use but they sure want a bunch of money for their stuff. I have heard horror stories about UPR's stuff. What's the best for street use? Is anyone using the AJE? It looks very flimsy in the photos I have seen. The Granatelli looks like the Maximum Motorsport. I have to buy some ball joints so I have pretty much decided to just do the K member with tubular control arms because they come with new ball joints. I want something that will last and that will put up with the abuse of daily driving.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
MM for street autocross or racing (or something very similar) Granatellis are MM knockoffs..if it's drag only, I like UPR stuff because of its' weight...

You get what you pay for

krazyazian

Established Member
I'll speak for what I have and that's the UPR set-up. Going on a year and a half and I've had no issues. I'm a bit anal and inspect my car at least once a month and can surely say I haven't detected any issues. I think the things you've read are from their older style K but not positive on that.

The MM stuff is top notch but not for what I'm doing with the car and like you said it's pricey.

I've had issues with Granetelli stuff in the past so they won't get a dime from me anymore.

Look at Team Z. I was really looking into their stuff but got too good of a deal on the UPR stuff to pass up.

I'll add this...my friend had a QA1 K-member in his car which, unfortunately, got totaled in an accident and that K-member stayed intact. His radiator, intercooler, some turbo piping, etc... got destroyed.

Lastly, I noticed you said you were going with the K-member and A-arms only. Unless I read that wrong your gonna have to go coil-overs too unless you use your stock A-arms or go with a tubular one with spring pockets. I know AJE sells them but their pricey. You'll still have to get an upper spring perch.

Good luck on your choice and sorry this was long winded...

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
MM hands down. It is just hard to beat their stuff. they are expensive and it will require control arms, coil overs, aluminum steering rack busings, bump steer kit, oil filter relocation, and caster camber plates though. I think full kits brand new are $1800.

bobby_0081

Established Member
I am going to do the coil overs too. I already have a spring rate in mind. I am kind of bummed that I bought some of the SR caster camber plates from American Muscle on black Friday and they are not compatible with a coil over kit but on the bright side I can just sell them on eBay and they are nice high quality pieces for the price I paid. Yesterday I bought a new cowl panel, wiper arms, and washer nozzles and it's all Ford OEM stuff so it was a bit pricey but I like the fit and finish of OEM stuff. Thanks for all the input. If money were no option then I would buy the grip in a box kit but after seeing the price tag on that thing I almost fainted.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Some of their packages are really expensive. It can be a hard pill to swallow. Once it's on the car however, you will know it was worth every penny. Sometimes MM has used/scuffed/cosmetically damaged stuff on sale for a little bit cheaper. They list it on their site, but its never a guarantee what they will have or for how long.

NC03GT

Established Member
If you can swing the cost, Maximum motorsports FTW!!! im running all UPR tubular chromoly on my 03, UPR is great but like posted earlier is more based on straight line performance but thats all i really use my car for, I have my sway bar deleted as well... Just dont do QA1 for anything that sees street use. there are countless horror stories on all the forums of them as far as fitment and the welds busting on the street.

TClark22

Established Member
TEAM Z!!!!

MM if you want a really nice, heavier duty piece for autox and shit...they have more adjustability with control arms and steering...etc...meant for autox

but Team Z gets my vote over it for street car/ drag car on occasion.

1BAD360R

Established Member
I've been using a pa racing K for about 4 years now with no issues on the street. I'm using stock control arms as well. Other than a very small issue with my pass. side header, the fitment was good.

glittle75

Established Member
UPR full kit on my Mach for 4 years now. Not many miles on it, maybe 8k. Love it for the price. Not a problem or loose bolt yet. Handles great.

UPR k, a's, coilovers and bump steer. Factory tokicos and MM c/c plates. UPR didn't have a 4 bolt plate at the time.

Mattstang04

Established Member
I've had a UPR k member for about 2 years now. My car sees country backroads cruising, city pothole hellishness (though I do my best not to hit them), and interstate thrashing. I have had no problems with it. I got the spring perches and reused my stock A arms. Didn't want to lose the money I have spent on my springs and other suspension bits. Love the weight reduction. I would say I lost somewhere around 30 or 35 lbs of the front end, even with keeping the stock A arms. I got the k member, spring perches, hardware kit, steering rack bushings and steering rack hardware at a Fun Ford weekend for a steal. I did shave a bit off a motor mount plate for header clearance but all in all the things been great. I check it often because of the horror stories I've heard but it shows no signs of wear or failing.

Users who are viewing this thread