Best Longtubes For The Money?

bigred2013

Established Member
I've come across a set of JBA 1-7/8 Natural Finish Longtubes & 3" OR X BRAND NEW for $700. From a friend. From my understanding, the "Natural" finish is 409 stainless, correct? Will this type suffer from surface rust?

Also, has anyone had fitment issues or problem w/ the JBA Longtubes? I plan on installing w/ a friend on a lift so. Hopefully everything will go smoothly.

What type of gaskets should be used? I'm a noob when it comes to headers so! I know to stay away from the cardboard/paper type gaskets. Been told Ford OEM is the best way to go

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

orange_whiner

Pro-class stoplight racer
Established Member
Plenty of documented issues with pypes including myself. I've heard jba is decent. And only use the oem gaskets (you can reuse) and the studs if you can.

scott_0

Established Member
Plenty of documented issues with pypes including myself. I've heard jba is decent. And only use the oem gaskets (you can reuse) and the studs if you can.
Pypes are good, you might have an issue with the steering shaft hitting but not always and it's easily remedied, FYI there are plenty of documented fitment issues with the over hyped kooks and ARH as well. as far as gaskets I reused my stock header gaskets as well the studs and nuts

Isnt there a power difference too? Like ARH will put down more power incomparison to JBA right?

In4Answer
they're both 1 7/8 primaries so I doubt it

I have pypes lt's and offroad x and for the price I think they're great!
I'm happy with my Pypes overall, had to get a header replaced (Pypes customer service was great) the replacement rubbed the steering shaft but that was easily fixable

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
From what I've seen JBA have been great power and fitment wise. Charba has JBA maybe he can chime in. That's seems like a good deal and 1 7/8 should perform pretty good.

bigred2013

Established Member
Any of you guys have any install tips? I know the whole Remove Battery/Tray/Intake/Plenum Cover then drop the 4 rear K Member bolts, let it hang, remove starter, remove steering shaft? That's about it right?

I have a friend offering to help and says he did his '10 RS3 in his driveway on jackstands. Said it took him 12 hours, but that was working on it a few hours a day after work. Said we could probably do it in 6. Would a '10 RS3 differ much install wise than a '13 GT? My only concern is i'm on Sportlines so the car is low as hell lol.

scott_0

Established Member
fwiw, I didn't remove my battery tray, and I'm confused as why some are, and I didn't touch my K member either, didn't see why I needed to go though those extra steps, my nephew and a buddy of ours recently installed JBA LT's in a bit over 4hrs without touching the K member.........

bigred2013

Established Member
Hmm. Might not do that then. Just depends on what room we have to work with being everything'll be sitting a hair lower lol! I wish I could find a lift to rent.

scott_0

Established Member
Hmm. Might not do that then. Just depends on what room we have to work with being everything'll be sitting a hair lower lol! I wish I could find a lift to rent.

well, being that you don't have a lift at your exposal, then dropping the K member might make it much easier for you

bigred2013

Established Member
I may have a lift. Just waiting to hear from a friend. I'm gonna see what a local shop here in town would do it for. They work on a lot of 2V/3V Mustangs so I wouldn't think they'd have trouble w/ a Longtube Install. Hell everywhere i've checked thus far wants $800-$900. Lol. F that. I'll try and lay on the ground and do it.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
the pypes are a 304 stainless, polished, stepped design, for the price they are a great buy, those and the stainless power are the 2 best bangs for the buck, in a 304 stainless

Users who are viewing this thread