Best looking wheels on Red Shelby With White Stripes

Best wheels on a Red Shelby with white stripes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I had my Super Snake out for the first time this past Sunday with the 275/35 and 335/30 Michelin PS2 - Alcoa wheel combination 9's up front, 12's on the rear.......

Picture1960.jpg

I am going to adjust the Eibachs on the front to lower the car a little bit. But first I am going to first have the dealership align the front and pull the tires in just a little bit at the top.

On the rear, there is no room for inward movement, so fitting a Viper size tire (except in 20") in a Michelin PS2, it doesn't matter what different offset or what different wheel, the 335/30 is wide street tire on a GT500.

R

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Pic from the rear or ban :)

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I had my Super Snake out for the first time this past Sunday with the 275/35 and 335/30 Michelin PS2 - Alcoa wheel combination 9's up front, 12's on the rear.......

R

im assuming you mean from very edge (of the flange) to very edge to get that 12". meaning that wheel is actually an 11". is that correct? or does it actually measure 13" making it a true 11" wheel?? :uh oh:

and did you have to do anything special on the inside for clearance?

dont SS have brake ducts in the rear that get in the way?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
im assuming you mean from very edge (of the flange) to very edge to get that 12". meaning that wheel is actually an 11". is that correct? or does it actually measure 13" making it a true 11" wheel?? :uh oh:

and did you have to do anything special on the inside for clearance?

dont SS have brake ducts in the rear that get in the way?

I sent the pair of Alcoas to Weldcraft and had them widened to a full 12" in the bead/tire seat area. Then I installed the 335/30 PS2's that are a total of 13.5" including the side wall.

I removed the rear brake ducts, and then the rear shocks for shock boot removal. I did not want to cut the boots up, they said Eibach on them and I wanted to keep them intact.

On the inside I had some tire to sound deadener contact when I would compress one side only while letting the other side drop.<<<This was not a full compression but about 1/2 way, which is what I "could" encounter in my local street driving. I added a 1/8" spacer to each side to allow for a little more compression, and that is it. I have not fully compressed the axle on one side, nor have I allowed the axle to fully fall to the end of its travel on the other, I don't see where I will encouter that situation, but that being said, it could happen. I assume that if I put the car on a 2 post lift, the inner part of the Alcoa will rest on the bumpstop on each side? but there was no bracket contact with the partial articulation that I did in my garage. I have also not removed any sound deadener in the inner fender well area. There is about 1/2" between the LCA's and the Eibach sway bar on each side, there really is no room for inward movement no matter what other wheel offset or type were to be used. If any other wheel with an inward offset were to be used, it would require thicker spacers to get the tire out from the inner fender well, it is that tight.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Pic from the rear or ban :)

It was later Sunday and there was not much bright sunlight so it was darker under the car, but you can see where the Red sway bar turns......the tires are approx. 1/2" from that sway bar on each side.

CopyofPicture1965-1.jpg

^^^^^^^^The tire size now on the front is what was originally on the rear of this car.

This is also a nice view showing how well the 3" mandrel bent Shelby/JBA exhaust system fits up under this car.

R

Last edited:

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Awesome!

That looks plain awesome! Thx for posting this!!:rockon:

It was later Sunday and there was not much bright sunlight so it was darker under the car, but you can see where the Red sway bar turns......the tires are approx. 1/2" from that sway bar on each side.

CopyofPicture1965-1.jpg

^^^^^^^^The tire size now on the front is what was originally on the rear of this car.

This is also a nice view showing how well the 3" mandrel bent Shelby/JBA exhaust system fits up under this car.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
how well do the tires work? DO they still make the 335/30?

I have only driven the car about 1-1/2 miles since the tire/wheel install, so I have very limited knowledge, but the one time that I did turn it up, the car felt competely different. With 275's it would spin quickly and feel as if it was on roller skates, maybe even marbles. Now, it still will spin without much coaxing, but instead of spinning while pushing forward as it did on the 275's, it spins while thrusting forward with the additional tire width. Remember, I went for a 275 to a 335 on the rear. That is 60mm, 13mm = 1/2.

As for the 335/30's, they are still available through TireRack and other tire outlets. It is the 275/35's in a PS2 that are impossible to find. Michelin is changing from a PS2 to a newer design Pilot Sport, I think a Super Sport or something, but they have not listed the 335/30 size for that style of tire yet.

Pirelli also offers a 335/30 in a P Zero Rosso which is a good performance tire, however, it specs at 13.8" vs the PS2 13.5". That .3 in width could be the difference in looking acceptable and fitting tight or not looking acceptable and touching.

There have also been some people who have done this Alcoa widening project, used these 335's and couldn't get this set-up to work for them. They had tire contact issues that they could not resolve without thicker spacers.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
>>>>>>>>>Thanks to ALL for the kind words.<<<<<<<<<<

This is not my thread and I am sorry it has gone this direction, but there are some Cool Alcoa options out there, and with the proper Alcoa width, an appropriate tire can fit nicely, but the width needs to be right, toward the inside, since the wheel lip is soooo far to the outside.

A 325/30 Dunlop Sport Maxx GT would be a very nice choice for the Alcoa widened just like mine to 11.75" or 12". The problem there, $800 or so per tire. If you plan on excersizing your rear tires very much, that's $1600 per pair on the rear............That would equal the cost of 4 Michelin 335/30 Pilot Sport PS2's.

R

Last edited:

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Ok by me

As the OP, I find this information to be extremely useful and relevant to wheel choice. Glad to see that people are giving opinions and excellent info not only for my purposes, but for others as well. Great stuff!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
As the OP, I find this information to be extremely useful and relevant to wheel choice. Glad to see that people are giving opinions and excellent info not only for my purposes, but for others as well. Great stuff!

The biggest drawback is going to be the cost of widening. Depending upon if you have the welds smoothed or not, it can range from approx. $600 to just over $700 including shipping from WeldCraft back to you. This does not include the shipping out to WeldCraft which can add another $30 or so per wheel to the total cost.

R

mustang loco

Established Member

CopyofPicture1965-1.jpg

R

Car looks real nice Robert,thx for the pics!!:beer:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Yes, Asanti 11" built to my specs. I did the bracket a bit and slight trim on the shock boot although after done, pretty sure I didn't have to. To date, not one hint of rub.:beer:

20x11 isn't too hard to fit. Anything wider is.

Users who are viewing this thread