Best oil and filter for 04 cobra

y2kpony

Established Member
As the title states. I'm looking for opinions on what is the best oil and filter combo for cobra. I'm looking to go synthetic. The car currently has amsoil in it just not sure what weight. Any input would be great. Thanks.

MassDSGsvt

FORCE FED BOOST
Established Member
Do a search and you will see everyone has there own preference. I use the stock recommended filter with royal purple hps 5w30. Everyone is gong to give you different answer with weight and brand. Good luck

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
As the title states. I'm looking for opinions on what is the best oil and filter combo for cobra. I'm looking to go synthetic. The car currently has amsoil in it just not sure what weight. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Mostly street driving or what?

When you hear the word "track" what kind of track comes mind and do you ever go there?

VictorySong

Established Member

Royal Purple 5w-30 is what I'm running and I love the stuff. We even run it in our 555 Shafiroff engine which puts down nearly 1000 horsepower. Amsoil is a no go for me. They tried to bully their way into the market by aggressively going after speed shops in the 70s/80s and our shop was one of them. I won't consider them in any of my cars due to their asshattery but, a lot of people beat the Amsoil drum. If you search for Amsoil on google look at how an odd number of new forum members jump on to debate the merits of their products. Really odd isn't it?:lol1: Almost cultlike imo...

I run Mobil 1 filters in everything but, I haven't really tried them all since we switch oil filters every season regardless of mileage. Any oil/fiter combo of decent quality should be good to go.:beer:

Last edited:

y2kpony

Established Member
I will only be running the car on weekends and nice days with no tracks. I will punch it though when I get a chance.

y2kpony

Established Member
I drive it year round as long as the roads don't have salt and slop everywhere. I don't have plans of doing winter storage.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I will only be running the car on weekends and nice days with no tracks. I will punch it though when I get a chance.

OK, might as well run the 5w-20 and have a little more available power and fuel economy.

Royal Purple HPS 5W-20 (part #31520, quart bottle) and a Royal Purple 20-820 filter.
You are going to be hard pressed to find better performance and protection for that price point.
Amazon.com
Summit Racing
Pace Performance
Lucky7trucks.com

Your valve guides will thank you.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
F Royal Purple. Motorcraft FL820S and Amsoil 5/20 or 5/30 depending on climate and how you run the car.

Just spell it out.

What you did with the word **** is an infraction called by passing the profanity filter.

13. Rude and/or profane language is strictly prohibited in all forums except Smack Down, as is bypassing the profanity filter. If you have a concern that something you want to post may be beyond the accepted limits ask a moderator.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Rule #666:

Never violate a forum rule while at the same time insulting a forum moderator's lifestyle. :lol1:

SNAP!!!

P.S. The Motorcraft oil filter offers a lot of bang for the buck, but there is no comparison in quality and performance to the RP and Amsoil oil filters.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Royal Purple 5w-30 is what I'm running and I love the stuff. We even run it in our 555 Shafiroff engine which puts down nearly 1000 horsepower. Amsoil is a no go for me. They tried to bully their way into the market by aggressively going after speed shops in the 70s/80s and our shop was one of them. I won't consider them in any of my cars due to their asshattery but, a lot of people beat the Amsoil drum. If you search for Amsoil on google look at how an odd number of new forum members jump on to debate the merits of their products. Really odd isn't it?:lol1: Almost cultlike imo...

I run Mobil 1 filters in everything but, I haven't really tried them all since we switch oil filters every season regardless of mileage. Any oil/fiter combo of decent quality should be good to go.:beer:

LMAO you bitch about other companies going online and pressing their product yet you do the same thing...Irony much?

Royal purple is good but Amsoil is better IMHO.

y2kpony

Established Member
Ok. Thanks guys. Since we are talking about royal purple is it a good idea to add purple ice coolant additive to my radiator and my intercooler tanks.

VictorySong

Established Member
Ok. Thanks guys. Since we are talking about royal purple is it a good idea to add purple ice coolant additive to my radiator and my intercooler tanks.

I prefer Evans Cooling but, you have to completely drain everything for it to work since it doesn't use any water. For what you are doing I would stick to the factory stuff and not worry about cooling additives. You shouldn't be overheating in PA even if you are doing autocross or short track days.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

I've personally never seen a cost acceptable benefit from coolant additives unless you are running straight water only, no anti-freeze. Save your money.

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
I drive my car pretty much like a normal vehicle.

I use Mobil1 and Motorcraft filter every 3k or 6 months. Usually the latter.

When I do the coolant, I'll probably just go with what the book calls for mix of Ford gold, and probably gonna swap the T-stat while everything's drained.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread