Best oil for 4v break in?

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Hey guys so my engine builder just rebuilt my motor to factory specs, nothing crazy, with forged rods and pistons. I asked for break in instructions and he just said "take it easy for a week and change the oil after a week".

that's it.

so, what is the best oil to use for initial startup and break in?

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Good filter, conventional oil. Dump it after a couple hundred miles. Put good stuff in.
I’d buy a name brand but nothing crazy.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Hey guys so my engine builder just rebuilt my motor to factory specs, nothing crazy, with forged rods and pistons. I asked for break in instructions and he just said "take it easy for a week and change the oil after a week".

that's it.

so, what is the best oil to use for initial startup and break in?

Verify what grade oil your engine manufacturer (builder) recommends and get the NON synthetic version. Regular old dyno oil. Once break in is complete, then switch to your preferred oil type.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
5w-30 dino oil. After 100-200 miles change the oil. Dino again till 1000 miles, then change it out for whatever good synthetic you are going to run for the life of the car.

96dreamer

Established Member
Supertech, its cheap and works. I don't like the recommendation of taking it easy though. My preference is start it and let it get up to temp to check for any leaks. Change the oil then go vary the rpms and get the engine under some load, making sure to engine brake to get the rings under a good vacuum since there is no boost to set the rings. Change the oil again in a few hundred and somewhere around 1000 through some synthetic in it.

Users who are viewing this thread