Best oil to use?

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
So the Roush 5w-50 is no more, so what should I go with now? There's only 2 other oils I know now that are 5w-50, MotorCraft and Castrol. There's one other I seen that is 5w-50, but I am skeptical about if it's in production anymore. It's called Mobil 1 Rally Formula. I came across it on the internet and seems like it'd be the best choice, but it seems it'd be hard to come across and idk if it's still being made. I haven't heard bad things about Castrol, nor have I heard any good things either really. It seems that the Motorcraft is not fantastic, but that's only my opinion because it's the stock oil they use I could be wrong though. I am just curious to see what oil I should stick with from now on because I am told it's not good to keep changing oils. Please let me know what's the best for daily driving and every now and then beating on the car.

Oh also, which oil filter should I go with as well? Just the stock filter they sell at Ford? I want to keep my engine healthy so please let me know what would be best. Thanks.

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'd like info on this too. If anyone suggests the Castrol, ask them for a copy of the blackstone (or whoever they used) oil analysis and post it up. Without an actual oil analysis, you will just get opinions (some rather strong). Hopefully someone using it can drop the $20, get it analyzed and post up the results for us as a contribution to the community. They are an interesting tool that can tell you a lot if you are in to that sort of thing.

FWIW, the Ford oil did well in each oil analysis I've sent in. But, that's based on my driving habits and mods...results vary based on those factors as well as location (Arizona vs Boston driving conditions). I use the Amsoil filter or PureOne due to their filtering ability and based on how they did in the oil samples I've sent in over the years for various cars.

Last edited:

skyhighsd

Established Member
Castrol and I am not doing a blackstone, it meets the ford specs and I know a ton of guys running it. Fully modded car here been running it since new! I dont care what anyone tells you Ford oils is relabeled oil, period. You want to get bent over be my guest I will not, this not my first rodeo and I have had motors that cost a hell of a lot more than this one.

Last edited:

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Castrol and I am not doing a blackstone, it meets the ford specs and I know a ton of guys running it. Fully modded car here been running it since new! I dont care what anyone tells you Ford oils is relabeled oil, period. You want to get bent over be my guest I will not, this not my first rodeo and I have had motors that cost a hell of a lot more than this one.

Well if you say it's safe to go with Castrol then I'm gonna go with Castrol. Your car is way more modded than mine so you probably beat on it as well. CASTROL IT IS. I'll just get the Ford oil filter.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
A few years back I used Castrol. The color on the oil was sometimes dark and sometimes light, the engine also burned far more oil at 100k miles than my 03 does using Mobile 1. I don't use Castrol any more.

There was a thread a while back, like 3 years ago or so that in my mind proved Royal Purple to be at the top of the heap. Maybe someone has an old link.

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
double tap.

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
A few years back I used Castrol. The color on the oil was sometimes dark and sometimes light, the engine also burned far more oil at 100k miles than my 03 does using Mobile 1. I don't use Castrol any more.

There was a thread a while back, like 3 years ago or so that in my mind proved Royal Purple to be at the top of the heap. Maybe someone has an old link.

That's exactly why I drop $20 and do an oil test - takes the guess work out of it. The performance of the oil will vary by car and mods. Just because Royal Purple did well in X three years ago doesn't mean much now. For example, in a turbo application of mine, Mobil 1 performed the worst and Royal Purple was not the best either. A specific turbo application of Amsoil performed the best for my driving habit. My friend, who tracked his car...a specific Motul oil worked best for him.

Don't get me wrong, they all are sufficient which is not the same as "the best" which is usually the question. If you are actually anal enough (like me) to want to know exactly how the oil is holding up, what is in the oil from your motor, how long you can go before changes, and which actually works the best on your particular car, and how the oil looks over multiple mods, you simply must do an oil analysis. People seem to confuse "sufficient" (which is what most seem to actually want, including the OP in this thread) vs "the best" which can only be determined with some hard factual information...not opinion.

Just sayin', there's a distinct difference between the question asked (what's the best oil?) and what people may actually mean to ask instead (what oil is sufficient and meets Ford specs?) It's neither here nor there to me - I know what information I like to see and what works for me. That may not be the same as someone else...no big deal.

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I use Blackstone-labs and have them do the TBN test too but there are others such as the service by Amsoil (AMSOIL - Oil Analysis Kits). Several years ago, a dealership tried to give me a hard time regarding my warranty when they saw I wasn't using a factory brand oil filter when they were doing routine service. I baited them into a nice little argument and when I was done with them, I showed them all of the oil analysis reports. Could have done that up front to shut them down but it would not have been nearly as fun ;) Morons.

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Amsoil makes a 5w50 now for the GT500? I know they make a 5w40 but wasn't aware of a 5w50.

Last edited:

camdenlake

Established Member
Does anyone know who makes the Ford stuff? How much is the Castrol stuff? I see someone mention the Ford stuff being expensive. Didnt think it was too bad. Just did my spring maintenance and paid 9$cdn per quart from my dealer.

Josh

que4dog

Established Member
Does anyone know who makes the Ford stuff? How much is the Castrol stuff? I see someone mention the Ford stuff being expensive. Didnt think it was too bad. Just did my spring maintenance and paid 9$cdn per quart from my dealer.

Josh

Castrol is about $7.49 at Autozone.

Redsnake18

Liberty or Death!
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread