Best oil to use?

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
ok....

Off topic real quick, how has your experience been with the AZ brake pads now that you've had them for a while? I'm thinking about getting them in hopes to keep my TF's clean.

6-Speed

Established Member
Link to VOA of Mobile 1 5W50 sample for information purposes:

Mobil 1 5w-50 VOA (Oct 2010 Sample) - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Aluminum - 0
Chromium - 0
Iron - 3
Copper - 0
Lead - 0
Tin - 0
Molybdenum - 99
Nickel, Manganese, Silver, Titanium - 0
Potassium - 1
Boron - 202
Silicon - 7
Sodium - 5
Calcium - 2923
Magnesium- 14
Phosphorus - 866
Zinc - 992
Barium - 0

SUS Visc. @ 210F = 87.1 (Range: 70-90)
cSt Visc. @ 100C = 17.28 (Range: 12.9-18.2)
Flashpoint (F) = 445 (F)

Blackstone Comments: This sample of virgin 5w-50 oil had a normal viscosity. No moisture was found and only a trace amounts of insolubles was present in the sample. Traces of insolubles are becoming more common in new oils. They merely show light oil oxidation and won't pose a problem. The dominant additive is calcium, which is a detergent and dispersant additive. Boron and magnesium are the same type of additives, while moly, phosphorus, and zinc are anti-wear additives. Silicon at 7ppm is also an additive, to prevent foaming.

Last edited:

6-Speed

Established Member
I always "drip out" my oil bottles after a change with one of these guys so I might actually have enough left over after the change to do this. I'll check and see how much I was able to get and if its enough, maybe I'll send it in.
Blackstone needs at least 2.5 oz to do their tests. Their sample bottles hold 3.5 oz.

I'll be sending out a fresh sample of the Motorcraft 5W50 oil for a Blackstone VOA so we can see what this oil starts out with.

Last edited:

jcthorne

Established Member
Just an FYI, Those Hansen oil savers are available for 5.69 from Tire Tools Online.

I ordered 2 and plan to give one as a gift.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I'm waiting on a new kit from Blackstone, so it aint dead, just sleeping. I sent the factory fill last week also so I should be hearing back from them soon.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
my kit just came in but i have another 700miles till i do my oil change

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
and I have 2,000 more miles until the AMSOIL 20W-50 in my car is @ 3,000 miles of use. I'm not dumping it at that time, just pump extracting a sample from the dipstick tube.

It's OK, those miles will come quick. I have to drive a longer distance to work now, so it won't take long.

Last edited:

Yobi1Kanobi

Established Member
Okay so after my head spinning for about 2 days reading through this I gather that. Redline has proven to be a top choice for our cars over the Motorcraft. And on the filter front the top 2 choices are candidates from Ford, either the Motorcraft for about 8 bucks or the FRPP for 14 buck.....

Or did I just miss everything

6-Speed

Established Member
And on the filter front the top 2 choices are candidates from Ford, either the Motorcraft for about 8 bucks or the FRPP for 14 buck.....

Or did I just miss everything
I just bought a Motorcraft FL820S the other day at Walmart for $4.17. Just out of curiosity, I wanted to compare its weight with that of a Ford Racing filter.

Motorcraft FL820S Filter = 13.18 oz
Ford Racing CM-6731-FL820 = 19.85 oz

Difference = 6.67 oz

The Ford Racing filter is also a bit taller by 1/4" or so.

IMG_4648.jpg

6-Speed

Established Member
I've been running the Mobil 1 15W-50 for the last 22,000 miles. 28,000 on the car now. Unfortunately, I just changed the oil, but next go around, I will send it in and get it tested. Until then, the spec sheet is here Mobil 1 15W-50 and I'd like to get your opinion on the specs Unleashed...
The specs on the M1 15W50 look pretty good on paper with regards to P and Zn levels @ 1300 ppm and 1200 ppm respectively. Even though this is an API SM oil, this grade has no maximum Phosphorous limit, it only has to comply with the minimum P limit of 600 ppm.

http://www.mobil.com/usa-english/motoroil/files/mobil_1_product_guide.pdf

It would be good to see your UOA on a sample.

Last edited:

svtmadman

Established Member
SO REDLINE is where its at???? Is this what you oil heads are saying cause i cant make heads or tails out of all this shit....

10thsilversnk

Established Member
SO REDLINE is where its at???? Is this what you oil heads are saying cause i cant make heads or tails out of all this shit....

I agree! I went ahead and just ordered RedLine today for my first oil change. I have always ran Mobil 1 in all my other Mustangs but from what I have read the RedLine seems like the stuff to get.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The specs on the M1 15W50 look pretty good on paper with regards to P and Zn levels @ 1300 ppm and 1200 ppm respectively. Even though this is an API SM oil, this grade has no maximum Phosphorous limit, it only has to comply with the minimum P limit of 600 ppm.

http://www.mobil.com/usa-english/motoroil/files/mobil_1_product_guide.pdf

It would be good to see your UOA on a sample.

makes things confusing doesn't it. It can be classified as an API SM, despite the high amounts of phosphorous due to it's non-passenger car status. Kinda like diesel oil. Now if only it was a true group IV/V.

6-Speed

Established Member
makes things confusing doesn't it. It can be classified as an API SM, despite the high amounts of phosphorous due to it's non-passenger car status. Kinda like diesel oil. Now if only it was a true group IV/V.
Yes it can get confusing; for API SM, the only grades required to comply with the 800 ppm Phosphorous are SAE 0W20, 5W20, 0W30, 5W30 and 10W30. All other grades only have to comply with the minimum P concentration of 600ppm. So the 50 grade oils can have higher P levels than 800 ppm and still be in compliance with API SM.

Last edited:

32V SVT

Established Member
I agree! I went ahead and just ordered RedLine today for my first oil change. I have always ran Mobil 1 in all my other Mustangs but from what I have read the RedLine seems like the stuff to get.

I did the same 2 weeks ago... I've been running Red Line in my last 2 Cobra's and have complete confidence in the product. :rockon:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
I agree, RL meets all requirements and seems to be an outstanding product! Will order for my next change!

Users who are viewing this thread