Best Place to buy an MGW shifter.

sn8kbite

Established Member
why isnt the shaft splined where the handle slips on?
All i see is 2 allen screws that clamp that handle tight around a completely smooth shaft.If thats the case i can see that handle twisting and coming loose on a hard shift.

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
sn8kbite said:
why isnt the shaft splined where the handle slips on?
All i see is 2 allen screws that clamp that handle tight around a completely smooth shaft.If thats the case i can see that handle twisting and coming loose on a hard shift.

you could see it but you would be hallucinating :nono:

the shift arm has a clamping force exceedeing 1500 lbs. if you can twist it under a hard shift then you would be strong enough that you can basically rip the shifter out and throw it out the back window when bolted down. it has been tested, tested, and then tested again. it will not move.

george

I currently have a Steeda Tri Ax and I think that's one of the best shifters I ever had (with the exception of a lil teeny metal sounding noise if you listen closely) but everybody seems to praise and praise this MGW shifter and says it's 1000x better than the Steeda Tri Ax--so I'm about to order one and hopefully I too will be praising it! :D

hunterp

Established Member
MGW said:
you could see it but you would be hallucinating :nono:

the shift arm has a clamping force exceedeing 1500 lbs. if you can twist it under a hard shift then you would be strong enough that you can basically rip the shifter out and throw it out the back window when bolted down. it has been tested, tested, and then tested again. it will not move.

george

Did it. Going in for a replacement windshield on Monday :lol1:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
what the, mine better come today! were always gettins screwed here on the west! jk. hopefully it's there when i get home from work today. when do you plan on installing yours?
I-CAN-STANG said:
Just got mine a few mins. ago! Took approx. 3 days. :beer:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
i installed my MGW shifter this morning before work. i had to call george at MGW one time and he knew exactly what i was talking about. heres what happened, i got everything ready, started the car, had a smile the size of texas, and then OH F*CK!, my shifter wouldn't even move lol. yes i had left the shift stops in, i mis read, i thought it said you were suppost to install them with the exception of the T56 (our tranny). well george already had them installed and i didn't even know what they were. so i called doug quick like and he knew exactly what was wrong, i went back, fixed it, put everything back together and bam. i love the shifter and more importantly i love georges customer service, and his assistant, shes really nice. about the shifter, i got the blue handle and the shifts are extremely short (IN A GOOD WAY). i powershifted some on my way to work and didn't miss at all. on the stock powershifting to 3rd was like a 50/50 shot for me. hmm, oh it was notchy when i first took it around the block, it's slowly getting broke in, does this happen with you guys or is it just me? thanks george everything is wonderful. oh i decided to use the stock shifter knob. thanks again, -justin.

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
my shifter is designed and machined to VERY exacting tolerances. we use the same tolerances we make our firearms parts which are extremely close. this is going to make all of our shifters feel "TIGHT" at first. after about 2-300 miles all the components will actually seat themselves for a nice smooth feel.

some of you gun nuts may be familiar with this approach as this is the same way we build competition pistols. the rails on the slide are made to almost lock up on the frame they are so tight and then we work them in with a dimaond compound until it glides smoothly but with ZERO play. while the shifter approach is not quite as extreme as that it is basically the same principle.

this is why our shifters will always feel TIGHTER than the others on the market.

hope this helps.

regards
george

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
yea sorry i think i need to correct myself, after driving with it more i think it's that i'm just used to the sloppy stock shifter. this shifter is extremely PRECISE. notchy isn't the word, it's more of like it just goes into gear, no bs or nothing, lol it's cool. very wonderful design, thanks again george and wonderful customer service.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
does anyone know what those 2 allen screws are for that are on the shifter? like the piece that connects to the transmission. i didn't tighten them or loosen them because i don't think the instructions said to

smokin03cobra

wolf in sheeps clothing
Established Member
got mine yesterday installed it today and it feels
GREAT even though i only went around the block once :mj: i can't wait for the snow and salt to be gone

Users who are viewing this thread