Best product to get wax off of black plastic trim???

SRT-4 Turbo 7

Established Member
Damn dealer detailed my truck and got wax on my black plastic trim on the front grille. Now 2 spots look faded. How do I fix this?

Meguires back to black?

drewkeen

SVT
Established Member
Back to black will just cover it up, not really get it off. I know dawn dish detergent works great to strip it from paint, I can't see why it wouldn't work on plastic. Never tried it though on plastic so I can't assure you of this.

mnewxcv

Established Member
i did the same thing. simple green took it off for me, then i used mothers back to black.

Tispho

Established Member
use GR-40 to actually clean it off, then black WoW to dress it. You can get GR-40 from pakshak.com

mackj66

Established Member
Use a big pencil eraser.....I am dead serious.
It took off all wax from all black trim and looks like new.

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
It doesn't get much respect any more these days, but after removing some wax residue from the grill trim, I used regular ol' Armor All and it worked very well. I also use it on the shaker and trim, and on the chin spoiler. Lasts though about two washings.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Like others have stated, rubbing alcohol, peanut butter, simple green, etc; will all remove it.

It doesn't get much respect any more these days, but after removing some wax residue from the grill trim, I used regular ol' Armor All and it worked very well. I also use it on the shaker and trim, and on the chin spoiler. Lasts though about two washings.

Armor All gets no respect for a reason. Its just a bunch of conditioners that only sit on top of the plastic to make it look shiny; not actually condition the plastic and protect it.

I use Black WOW and i use it SPARINGLY. seriously, a pea sized dab on a foam applicator will do an entire windshield cowl. If you use too much you will get horrible results; you really have to use it sparingly and work it into the plastic/trims. However unlike Back2Black or others ive tried, it doesnt attract dust nearly as bad, and keeps the plastics/trims shiny and protected for quite a while.

silverstang84

Established Member
i use "simple green" or "greased lightning" on a toothbrush. the fine bristles of the toothbrush take all of the wax and dirt right out of the plastic. Then seal it with a plastic dressing of your choice

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
Armor All gets no respect for a reason. Its just a bunch of conditioners that only sit on top of the plastic to make it look shiny; not actually condition the plastic and protect it.

All my trim looks like new for weeks after I apply it - 98,000 miles. :shrug: All I'm saying is that someone gave me two bottles of it and I've been pleasantly surprised.

My interior on the other hand, 303 only.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread