Best route for fog lights? Halogen or low kv HIDs?

jliddle

Established Member
So Im going to run some aux. lights on my truck. My headlights will be 55w 8000k HIDs. Which has me wanting a more fog oriented set of aux lights.

Ive always heard that a low kv HID is awesome in the fog, however KC has a 100watt halogen setup ive been looking at for a while now.
Lights « Slimlite « Slimlite 100w Fog Black « KC HiLiTES: Auxiliary Lighting, HID Off Road Lights, Fog Lights, Driving Lights, Light Bars, Wiring Accessories

If HID's are the best option I will do a popular conversion on a set of these Hella 500's.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Hella-005750991-Black-Halogen-Driving/dp/B00318JTCS]Amazon.com: Hella 005750991 500 Series 12V/55W Black Magic Halogen Driving Lamp Kit: Automotive[/ame]

Whats SVTP's opinion? High wattage halogen or a low kv HID?

Thanks

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
3000k HIDs even 35 watters are comparable or slightly better than the 100 watt halogens. Hella also makes some HID off-road lights that are just plain ridiculous.

jliddle

Established Member
3000k HIDs even 35 watters are comparable or slightly better than the 100 watt halogens. Hella also makes some HID off-road lights that are just plain ridiculous.

The ones ive seen are outrageously priced as well. Not to mention theyre a little bulky, I want to try to keep the light setup as slim as possible so Ill be able to tuck it close the the body.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
From my experience with 8000k's they are horrible for driving at night unless you just want the blue look to the light. I recommend 5000k's for your headlights. Go to www.ddmtuning.com for hid'd by far the cheapest place I found yet

jliddle

Established Member
I want the 8k's for looks. As stated in my OP I want the auxiliary lights for performance.

DDM has too many negative reviews for me, ill pay the high prices for a better kit.

AAG

Established Member
55w hids and 100w fogs? Are you trying to piss off and blind everyone else on the road?

stangaholic280

Established Member
55w hids and 100w fogs? Are you trying to piss off and blind everyone else on the road?

People always say this, but if you level them correctly is it really any different than cars with factory HIDs? I know the HIDs on my Z06 were bright as sh*t, but I never had any complaints night cruises.

...especially in a lowered car like a Cobra. Now if I put these lights on my monster f-250...then I can see pissing some people off LOL!

Last edited:

AAG

Established Member
People always say this, but if you level them correctly is it really any different than cars with factory HIDs?

:nonono:

If that was the case, don't you think every car off the lot with halogen headlights would come that way? Have you ever seen oem fog lights on a car with hids from the factory? There is a reason why...

They glare because hid bulbs were never designed for a halogen headlight. Yes some aren't as bad as others, but OP wants 55ww 8000k hids AND 100w haloen fogs. That's a mf'in light show!

Last edited:

jliddle

Established Member
Yes they will glare, I'm aware of that. Yes my ideal setup will be ungodly bright. My windshield is also tinted in 20%.

The truck will be driven alot on the beach, at night. Giving me a reason for wanting as much light as possible.

Monster Mach

Established Member
You can buy 4300k fogs and put a yellow tint on the lights.. it will make them the brightest they can be.. and cut throug fog like no tomorrow.. and either ddm tuning or vvme.com. 2 sets so far for me

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread