Best Street Clutch

Jroc

Established Member
Everything!?!?!?

Basically it can hold much more power than a single disc without giving up any(and actually improving) streetability, petal effort, and feel.

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
I installed McLeod RST in my car couple of months ago love it so far no chatter. Pedal feel is 10X softer than stock clutch.

i8urSS

Established Member
i just did centerforce df in mine maybe 2000 miles ago. absolutely no chatter and much lighter than stock. i'm not making tons of power but it seems like the more i abuse it the better it feels. i got it thru summit for 350 or so. by the way, what are your mods or planned mods because that could have an impact on some peoples opinions.

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
Spec 3+ is awesome for me so far. Feels similar to my old centerforce DF just slightly more grabby but holds way more power. Whoever buys one of these make sure you get the "low pedal requirement" option ($40 extra). Pedal effort is about half of what the stock clutch is. My car only had about 15k miles on the stocker so nothing was worn out, in fact the the old clutch looked great, just a few spots on the flywheel / pressure plate

Read my Spec 3+ review here (post #9)~~> http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/driveline-216/686395-spec-2-spec-3-a.html

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Spec 3+...i can honestly say i sat in 3 hrs of NYC traffic IMMEDIATELY after install coming back from Mustang Magic in LI,NY and i had VERY LITTLE chatter at all. If the flywheel is not TQ'd properly chatter will be more pronounced...mine has almost none...love this clutch. Grabs like a summabitch too

got4valve

Established Member
okay its still a toss up but i think im gonna do DFX because of my budget ..... do i NEED to buy a new flywheel , or just get mine resurfaced ?

Jroc

Established Member
okay its still a toss up but i think im gonna do DFX because of my budget ..... do i NEED to buy a new flywheel , or just get mine resurfaced ?

What kind of flywheel do you have? If its an aluminum one many have had trouble with resurfaced ones as you can't just throw it up on a magnet and grind it as aluminum doesn't stick to magnets.

For a steel flywheel I would just get it resurfaced. For an aluminum flywheel I would replace the friction plate. If its the factory flywheel I believe that McLeod made them and they will replace the friction plate for a small fee.

If its an aftermarket aluminum flywheel I would buy a Fidanza friction plate.
Fidanza 96-04 Mustang Replaceable Friction Plates [221101] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Last edited:

black 10th vert

Established Member
i have never changed out the clutch/flywheel so its stock

should i get a new one or get stock resurfaced

I have read that the stock ones can be resurfaced one time, then it's a throw away. When I get around to doing mine, though, I will probably go with a light weight steel flywheel, since they seem to have less issues with chatter if you run a more aggressive clutch. Also, in my experience an aluminum flywheel is much better suited for a lightweight car (like the FFR Cobra that I used to have). The aluminum revs up quicker, but doesn't have the rotating mass to maintain the rpms in between shifts as well as a steel one - especially in a heavier car like these.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
Spec 3+ here... took me awhile to get it all right. Had trouble with the adjustments and the TOB riding on the PP all the time, but now that its fixed, im loving it. I have less than 1000 miles on it, but it doesnt chatter and actually feels really good. Not too much of the 'grab and go' that i expected. Doesnt feather as well as the stock one, but im happy with it.

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
I have a McLeod Street Twin. It's great, but VERY expensive. AT least I'll never have to upgrade.

jimbob8915

Established Member
McLeod RST twin disc. Had a spec 2 and hated it. Resurfaced by chromoly flywheel, threw in the RST and LOVE it. It is smooooth, and pedal effort is way less than the Spec. I paid $700 for clutch and $60 for flywheel machining, feel by far was best mod I have done to car as she is my dd.

cobracide

Established Member
For you guys with the McLeod - did you get a Tremec 26 spline driveshaft and how did the play adjustment go? I see a lot of people used the stock shim and others needed an adjustable piviot ball to actually get it shorter instead of shiming out. Thx!

Jroc

Established Member
For you guys with the McLeod - did you get a Tremec 26 spline driveshaft and how did the play adjustment go? I see a lot of people used the stock shim and others needed an adjustable piviot ball to actually get it shorter instead of shiming out. Thx!

You mean input shaft?

I ordered new shims, and I have an adjustable pivot ball. Most people do end up needing the adjustable pivot ball, but not all. I didn't install it myself so I can't really give you any more detail than that.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
THIS!

I have a McLeod Twin disk and it was SO worth the money. My DFX Sucked balls in comparison.

McLeod RST twin disc. Had a spec 2 and hated it. Resurfaced by chromoly flywheel, threw in the RST and LOVE it. It is smooooth, and pedal effort is way less than the Spec. I paid $700 for clutch and $60 for flywheel machining, feel by far was best mod I have done to car as she is my dd.

Agree with the twin disc... I do not have this in mine, but have driven a buddies that is pushing damn near 600 rwhp and it performs well. The pedal effort is like a 4cyl toyota.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I have a RXT twin disc and I beat the hell out of it last year. Lots of power shifting and lots of launches on slicks. It still grabs like the day it when in. My pedal is a bit stiff but I think it has more to do with my garbage BBK clutch cable from what I here they are crap and I agree. I have a OEM cable coming from tousley and I hope that cures the problem. Other than that I am very happy with the Clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread