Best tire setup for a lot of power

johnjon87

Established Member
Im currently running the 20" ss alcoas, but with the power I'm putting down now they don't do anything but look nice.. I'm looking to put some smaller wheels on the back and put a lot more rubber on there so I can hook up better if needed.

I haven't done any dragging yet, but I do plan on getting into it a little this year. We'll see then if this is something I will get more serious about or whether the car will just be for shows and something fun to drive around on weekends. For now I'm not interested in buying slicks, I just don't know if I will be serious about dragging yet.

This is my old dyno sheet to let ya know what time of power I'm putting down..

310248_121222347985558_100002933806100_123689_1092897758_n.jpg

296882_121222371318889_100002933806100_123690_939522470_n.jpg

These numbers are going to be higher now that Evo and L&M set me up with new heads, cams, and new fuel system with an e85 tune.(should have new #s soon)

As of now I'm running Nitto 305/35/20 drag radials on the back, Nitto 555 255/35/20 in the front and then Evolutions Custom 9" with uppers and lowers. I would like to get a wider tire if possible (in the range of 315 to 345 if that's possible) Many people have told me that 305 is the biggest you can run without body work.

Anyone have any recommendations to a new set up I could run to get some more power to the ground?...

Thanks!

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Good luck trying to harness that power with drag radials.
I would look into the M&H racemasters on a 15" rim.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
for the street, you really won't find anything better than the M&H Racemaster 325/50/15 with a 15x10" wheel on a 7.5" backspace. The rest is in the suspension being able to transfer the weight and proper IC setup.

maniax racing

Established Member
for the street, you really won't find anything better than the M&H Racemaster 325/50/15 with a 15x10" wheel on a 7.5" backspace. The rest is in the suspension being able to transfer the weight and proper IC setup.
I agree ive tried them all, MH is the best i have used so far by a long shot:beer:

Quade

Old Man.
Established Member
JohnJon, I have tried about every tire you can think of on the street with my DD tune in the car and I promise you, there isn't a tire made that will hook through the first three gears for us. Mine make 800 at the tire on 93 octane with 16.4 lbs of boost so we're pretty much in the same boat. I've bought, borrowed, traded, ect about every DR, slick combo that I could get my hands on and 1st-3rd has never hooked on the street. I took my MT ET Drags out playing one day and on Just regular pavement thet wouldn't hook after heating them up some. I really hope you can find something so I can follow along. I will say, I only recently installed a set of NT05R's, and so far, I think they are the best.....for me anyway. Good luck man and I'll be sub'n in hopes you come up with something that will help us both. I can't imagine what a tire would cost that would dead hook our car 1st -3rd, but it would be nice to have the option.

rlhay2

Established Member
Currently driving around on the stock wheels + tires on the front and widened rears with M&H 325/40-18s on the rear.

white88lx

Established Member
JohnJon, I have tried about every tire you can think of on the street with my DD tune in the car and I promise you, there isn't a tire made that will hook through the first three gears for us. Mine make 800 at the tire on 93 octane with 16.4 lbs of boost so we're pretty much in the same boat. I've bought, borrowed, traded, ect about every DR, slick combo that I could get my hands on and 1st-3rd has never hooked on the street. I took my MT ET Drags out playing one day and on Just regular pavement thet wouldn't hook after heating them up some. I really hope you can find something so I can follow along. I will say, I only recently installed a set of NT05R's, and so far, I think they are the best.....for me anyway. Good luck man and I'll be sub'n in hopes you come up with something that will help us both. I can't imagine what a tire would cost that would dead hook our car 1st -3rd, but it would be nice to have the option.

I agree with quade regarding the NT05r's, I had these on my foxbody which put down 698 hp and weighed 3100. I couldn't find a drag radial that would do it justice on the street but the NT05r's definitely surprised me first time i floored it in first or second

Quade

Old Man.
Established Member
I agree with quade regarding the NT05r's, I had these on my foxbody which put down 698 hp and weighed 3100. I couldn't find a drag radial that would do it justice on the street but the NT05r's definitely surprised me first time i floored it in first or second

They have been a welcome surprise for me also. This past Fall I tried 555R's, ET Streets and ET Street II DR's all in one day on the same road at the same temp. All of them would hook at the top of 3rd and the ET Street DR's would hook about half way through 3rd, but that was the best. I tried doing pulles while they was cold and then I'd heat them up a little and do another just to see if the heat helped. I didn't feel comfortable with the 15" ET Street on the roads in my area cause of the flex you could feel in the corners and the ET Street II's just seem to do better over all hooking up and they was 18's which helped stablize the pig a little better. The 555R's was about the same as the Mickey DR's, except the ET's hooked about a half gear earlier. So far, the NT05R's are the only tire that will hook the car the entire 3rd gear pull.

I've done the pretty much the same thing with Slicks at the drag strip, but that's a totally different story lol. I understand that this is the best app for my driving and for the area that I'm in. Everyone else has different roads, driving conditions and preferences which could determine MY findings wouldn't work for them. If you have access to these tires, I'd do this test so you'd know for sure. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread