Best trans fluid for MT82?

stags

Established Member
Guys-

I've been going full ham with shifter mods trying to make that better. The Blowfish has eliminated missed shifts and the MGW should make it smoother but I think nothing is going to really overcome the uber thick stock fluid. Going to amsoil ATF in my 09 v6 manual made a world of difference. What fluids work best in the MT82 to protect the trans and provide the best shifting experience?

F.D.Sako

Established Member
It's all a compromise, as you stated. A thicker fluid will offer more protection, but most likely grind or be notchy when cold. Since you liked the ATF fluid in your previous mustang, then I suggest you check out Ford's revised fluid for the MT-82, which I believe is their double clutch auto trans fluid.

I went with BG synchro shift II for mine, since I need the heat protection at the track. When cold, there is a slight notchiness, but it's only for the first couple of shifts.

stags

Established Member
I won't do RP again- almost killed the T5. I guess the he's question is what kind of / specs fluids do these things like?

stags

Established Member
Yeah I would use an amsoil product again in a heartbeat. Google says the Mtg version was initially favored, then it was mtg for hot climates and MTF for cold, now it seems like MTF os preferred. Any changes to that logic? I live in Nashville and drive year round... Very hot summers and cold winters

TEG-84

Established Member
Dunno, I've been running MTF for over a year cold and hot with no issues.

Jbstang87

Established Member
I ran the MTG, even in warm socal that thing would grind and be notchy as hell during the first 10 mins of driving. Switched to ams MTF. Much happier now

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
It's all a compromise, as you stated. A thicker fluid will offer more protection, but most likely grind or be notchy when cold. Since you liked the ATF fluid in your previous mustang, then I suggest you check out Ford's revised fluid for the MT-82, which I believe is their double clutch auto trans fluid.

I went with BG synchro shift II for mine, since I need the heat protection at the track. When cold, there is a slight notchiness, but it's only for the first couple of shifts.

Second this, the BG really made shifting enjoyable.

hand-filer

Established Member
I ran Redline MTL in the transmission since new and had no complaints
Switched to Amsoil MTF because of all the good reviews. Bearings went out on it shortly after.
Could be coincidence but Redline MTL is going into the replacement.

Mustangfresk196

Established Member
Redline MTL. Nothing bad to say about it. Helps with the cold shifts but this time of the year its still a bit notchie in the mornings when its below 50. Otherwise is shifts like butta.

DrTriton

Established Member
The Amsoil really improved the shift effort in my MT82. Unfortunately my bearings didn't last long after I went FI. I wouldn't blame it on the Amsoil though, I had a shitty set of Chinese bearings like a lot of other people....

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Redline MTL in my last car with zero issues was super smooth too!
...havent yet switch in the new GT/CS. But I will soon!

TrackpackGT

Established Member
^ I thought it would have too, but my buddy said he'd do it anyway. Didn't notice any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread